Existing Member?

Pommie Travels the World Victoria is a blogger who has been travelling the world solo since 2008.

SWIMMING WITH STUFF: BAIRD BAY SEA LIONS

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 10 March 2010 | Views [1060]

After all that wine drinking inland it was time to get back to the ocean. We drove Geoff the van up from Adelaide to Port Augusta and down to Cowell, where we stopped at Turners Oyster farm to taste some oysters. The Eyre Peninsula is famous for its great sea food- oysters, lobster, snapper, Australian salmon, tuna...you name it we've eaten it.

Lisa shucked some oysters in front of us and we had the opportunity to eat them natural with a bit of lemon. They're an acquired taste and whilst Trent pulled a funny face when he ate one, I loved them! We had a quick tour of the oyster farm where we were shown how they sort through the oysters to get the right size.

It was then onto Elliston and over to Coodlie Park just before Venus Bay and Port Kenny. We had a great time at Coodlie Park- as someone rightly said, "It's like Hotel California, you can check in anytime you like but you can never leave!"

We joined the Nullarbor Traveller tour to go swimming with sea lions in Baird Bay, something well worth doing! The sea lions are really playful and will come right up to you. We were all given wetsuits to help keep us warm in the cold water and hopped aboard the boat to go in search of the sea lions. We anchored up in a pool off Baird Bay where the sea lions were chilling out on rocks and playing in the water. Snorkelling with sea lions is amazing- they look you right in the eyes and will copy your movements. If you roll over or dive they'll mimic you and try to play. Some will even touch you on the nose and cuddle you!

We would reccommend swimming with the sea lions in the wild to anyone! After the sea lions we swam with a school of dolphins, a great day!

Tags: adventures, campervan, nature, road trip, sea lions, snorkelling, swimming, travel, van-tastic adventures, wildlife

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.