Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Stirling Castle and Inchmahome Priory

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 2 June 2014 | Views [1931]

Stirling Castle

Stirling Castle

LISTENING TO THE HISTORY OF ENGLAND PODCAST has given us a decent understanding of Scotland’s history, intertwined as it is with England's.  And so often the stories converge around Stirling Castle, sometimes under English control, sometimes Scotish, featuring personalities like William Wallace, Robert the Bruce and even Mary, Queen of Scots. 

rob

   Robert the Bruce, victor at Bannockburn

William Wallace, aka Braveheart, defeated the English at the Battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297.  When the English returned for a rematch, Robert the Bruce bested Edward II nearby, at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1214.  (The 700th anniversary recreation of the battle will be held later this month.)  Mary, who would become Queen of Scots a few weeks after her birth, was born in the Castle before being secreted away to safety at Inchmahome Priory.  The priory sits picturesquely on an island reached by ferry.  It is mostly rubble today but the grounds contain chestnut trees allegedly planted by Mary when she took refuge there. 

in

   Inchahome Priory ruins

As castles go, Stirling Castle isn’t overly impressive like Germany's Rhine fortresses but its location is perfect, as are the views  from the ramparts of Old Stirling.  The creamy yellow Great Hall has been restored to its original splendor while the Palace shows every one of its 600 years.  Archeologists have discovered that the outside of the Palace was once painted in colors as bright as those inside the Great Hall.  They have even produced a video showing what some of the statues may have looked like.  

coa

    Coat of arms of James V, Great Hall 

the

   Artist's rendition of the statue of James V on the Palace, as it would have been during his reign

 

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.