Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Oualidia

MOROCCO | Wednesday, 10 July 2013 | Views [1239]

Day at the beach, Muslim-style, Oualidia

Day at the beach, Muslim-style, Oualidia

We’re spending a couple of days in Oualidia, which is on the way to Essaouira, which is on the way to Marrakech, which is . . .

ba

    Teamwork

Oualidia is a tiny fishing village on the Atlantic, so tiny that there is no dock.  The high-bowed wooden boats scoot between the rock guardians into a small cove where they are rowed to the beach.  The outboard motor is carried ashore and a dozen or more men buggy-lug the boat up the steep sand beach where the catch-of-the day is displayed for sale.

ho

        Hotel L'Initiale

Hotel L’Initiale sits at the end of the road just above the cove.  Sea breezes waft through our open balcony door bringing a heady perfume of salt spray, drying seaweed and roses.  Normally all six rooms would be booked in July but Ramadan began last night and who wants to give up food, beverages and smokes on holiday? Kids play football and splash around the lagoon but the Grande Plage is nearly deserted.

bea

     Deserted beach at Ramadan

The owners of L’Initiale aren’t Muslim so no one gives us the stinky eye for eating breakfast after sunrise or for having a picnic lunch on the balcony.  The restaurant, one of the tops in Oualidia, is open for dinner at 8:30 for both the faithful and us infidels.  Prices are high but the fresh seafood is wonderful.

Ramadan mornings are silent and cloaked in ocean fog.  Later morotbikes will buzz up to the cove to collect fish for the other restaurants and swarms of kids will pass on their way to the lagoon, but the place is generally peaceful.  There isn’t much to do but Hotel L’Initiale is a wonderful place to do it.  Long after Morocco fades from our minds, we will have fond memories of Oualidia.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.