Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Snug in Tasmania

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 13 April 2012 | Views [1424]

A lot like Nova Scotia

A lot like Nova Scotia

We are having a Tasmanian devil of a time convincing ourselves that we are still in Australia.  And not, maybe, Nova Scotia.  It is about 30 degrees cooler in "Tassie" than it was when we left Perth.  Everything looks so green and lush after the reds and browns of Western Australia and so far we have hardly been out of sight of the sparking bays that surround Hobart.

We dropped our camper off around noon on Wednesday then waited around the airport for our 11 PM flight to Hobart with a plane change in Melbourne.  It is surprising how many flights leave in the wee hours, especially on budget airlines like Jetstar, Quantas's bare-bones subsidiary.  Nothing is free on board, not even water, leg-room is virtually non-existent, yet the flights are packed.  Sleep on the 3-hour trip to Melbourne was out of the question.  We had an exit row all to ourselves from Melbourne to Hobart but the flight was too short to get much rest.  

My first view of Tasmania was through the window across the isle - sunrise over a sparking bay.  I was a bit distracted by the middle-aged businessman across from me with his hand up the skirt of his attractive, young assistant, but it still looked wonderful.

We were getting giddy by the time we picked up our new campervan in Hobart.  It's the same model Toyota High-Top as our last one but the interior is configured differently.  Some changes are good (an electric heater), others will take some adjustment.  But at $A57/day, we can't whinge.

The directions we were given to the supermarket weren't very good (or we were spaced out) and we ended up at a Woolworths in the center of Hobart, a nice place I am sure, but not exactly what we were looking for.  After spending nearly $200 on provisions (we aren't sure how many more opportunities we will have to shop) we headed for a nearby caravan park on the shore in Snug - no kidding! - and slept snug in Snug.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.