Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Montenegro

MONTENEGRO | Wednesday, 16 November 2011 | Views [831]

Black Lake, Durmitor National Park

Black Lake, Durmitor National Park

The train from Belgrade arrived in the dark in Podgorica, two hours late and our room in the 90 euro hotel was so small that we literally had to go outside to change our minds.  So, on first blush, Montenegro wasn't our favorite Balkan country.

Things looked a little better in the light of day.  We took an overpriced taxi to the airport and negotiated a good rate (for Montenegro) for a rental and headed for the hills.  Our little Toyota huffed and puffed through the mountains and around hundreds of hair-pin turns to Zabljak, just outside of Durmitor National Park.  After checking into the reasonably priced MB Hotel we drove off to the park, another World Heritage site.  We didn't see any of the resident bears, wolves or eagles on our short hike to Black Lake but we did enjoy the exercise in the cold mountain air.  At an altitude of 4500 feet, Durmitor's Black Lake  reminded us of a low-altitude Rocky Mountain National Park back in Colorado.  Even at 2 PM there was ice on the ponds and frost in the shaded areas.  We may have to pull out the down parkas.  

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Montenegro

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.