Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Ten Reasons to Come to Romania

ROMANIA | Saturday, 5 November 2011 | Views [6986]

Old woman with broom, Bunesti, Transylvania

Old woman with broom, Bunesti, Transylvania

I hardly expect you to rush online to book your flight to Bucharest, but you won’t be disappointed if you do.  Here  are ten reasons you might consider a Romanian holiday.

  1.   Bucharest:  "Little Paris" has art, architecture, food, and fashion.

  2.   Cheap lodging:  If you avoid the international chains you can score a room in the center of Bucharest for $70, half that outside the capitol.

  3.   Food:  Dinner for two in Bucharest with wine or beer for $30.  You can get by for half that in the country.

  4.   Language:  Despite the communist years, Romanians don’t use Cyrillic.  Most people speak pretty good English and if you know a little Spanish, French or Italian, you can make sense of the signs.  Lots of English TV stations, too, including CNN.

  5.   People:  Romanians are friendly and helpful.  They’ll smile and joke even as they overcharge you.  And you will smile too.  Young women are fashionable, old crones are a sight and all the guys smoke.

  6.   Art:  It’s not the Louvre but Bucharest has a fantastic art museum with some really good Romanian artists, like Frederick Storck and Cecilia Cutescu-Storck.

  7.   World Heritage Sites:  Eastern Orthodox, Greek Catholic, “painted churches,” “old wooden churches,” and medieval “fortified monasteries” combine history, religion and art.  And there is the Danube Delta, too.

  8.   Scenery:  Beautiful (but bumpy) country roads, wonderful mountain vistas, charming rural villages will keep you occupied.

  9.   Time travel:  You will swear you have journeyed back 100 years when you see the horse drawn carriages, hand-made brooms, old women gathered around the communal well and so many other sights from bygone days.

 10.   It’s easy:  Romania is so different from other places you have seen but somehow feels almost familiar.  Can’t explain it – you’ll have to experience it for yourself.

Oh, and let's not forget Dracula!

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.