Existing Member?

Community Project Travel The story of my World Expeditions trip to fix a ‘run down’ school in Nepal including painting the building, repairing the roof, replacing the floor and installing blackboards in the classrooms.

Arrival at the School

NEPAL | Thursday, 23 March 2006 | Views [843]

We head back up to a small school where we have lunch. By now the news of our imminent arrival at the school is big news in the local villages as about 50 or 60 locals turn out to greet us over lunch. We continue after lunch through a series of small villages nestled on the upper banks of the river. We still pull a crowd for our novelty value as the local kids happily escort us along the way. The word has spread about our group and everyone seems keen to have to a look.

By the time the school is in view we’ve collected a sizable entourage of locals. We take a final break just a few kilometres from the school which we can see in the distance on the edge of the ridge. We’re all excited and still a little unsure of what to expect as head off for the final stretch.

A few hundred metres out we hear the blaring of horns approaching. A small band of welcome committee has come out to meet us and walk with us the last few hundred metres. The principle of the school is the first to meet us. He introduces himself and hangs a flower wreath around our necks and welcomes us to his school. A group of about 50 people including the band surrounds us for the last bit of narrow track into the school. The people from the village of Phalungu Khola line the entrance to the school as the band kicks it up a notch for our official arrival. It’s completely overwhelming as we walk down the steps into the main courtyard of the school.

Hundreds of school kids make a tunnel for us and adore us with wreaths and gifts. It feels like the sort of reception one would receive after returning victoriously from battle. By the time we enter the school hall we’re covered in flowers and completely stunned by the welcome. We had expected a small gathering of the pupils but the welcome we receive was a surreal and unforgettable moment. The trip would have been worth it for this amazing moment alone. The festivities continue through out the afternoon as the band plays on and the local dancers put on a show. We’re encouraged to join in and quickly distinguishing ourselves as a nation of bad dancers. But it doesn’t matter as we can’t do anything wrong today.

After the couple of hours of festivities we have a tour of the school and more importantly the work that needs doing. Firstly and most importantly is repairing a retaining wall that recently collapsed. The section is about six metres wide and about four metres high. The reason this is the most important job is because when the monsoon comes the soil will be washed away and undermine the foundations of the main school building. The school also needs a fresh coat of paint both inside and out and on the roof. The main building is made up of eight separate classrooms and as well as painting they need repairs to the window shutters and new blackboards. That we night we’re still marvelling at the welcome we received while being slightly daunted the enormity of the job at hand.

The welcome was such an incredible moment we all feel indebted to get the job done in the next three days.

Tags: Adventures

About trent


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.