Existing Member?

My Lucky Boots

My First Three Days in Peru...

PERU | Monday, 13 September 2010 | Views [474]

Mind you, I'm writing this story about one and half month after I arrived here in Peru. Took me awhile before I get used to it with the daily life of a nomad, new netbook that took me a while to figure it out how it works and fighting between rest days/trekking time to write even a simple story.

Leaving Dubai, leaving friends and all my luxurius life that I've been living in the last 12 years it's not an ideal combination with embracing a great journey to travel the world. Although up until now, still haven't really hit me for the fact that I'm jobless with no future nor carrier.

15 hours flight to Sao Paulo and then early morning 5 hours flight to Lima, succesfully knocked me down at the guesthouse in Lima. I slept from 11AM and didn't wake up till 4AM the next day. Miraflores was dull cause it was rainy, cold and overcast. Didn't have time to explore Lima cause my feet were too itchy trying to get to Huaraz as soon as possible.

I bought the ticket with Cruz del Sur, rather great bus company to travel with here in Peru. 15 minutes taxi drive to the bus station. Once you get in, regardless of the timing of your bus and you already got the ticket, you can always go straight to the storage deposit and they will put your bag in the correct bus. And then from there you can go up to the coffee shop upstairs for a last munch before you get on the bus.

The drive to Huaraz took 8 hours, although I felt like 2 hours bus cause I slept most of the time on the semi cama seat, that you can recline the seat reather comfortably to sleep. The bus left Lima around 10PM, they played a movie and gave you some snack. After the movie finished, they turn the light on and everybody went to sleep, as simple as that.

I could feel the winding road during the night, I felt uneasy on my chest and feel a bit sick. Only to find out later on that we actually drove all the way to the pass and down, with altitude almost 4000M. That explained the sickness I felt during the night, but I woke up fine.

I woke up around 5AM about one hour before we arrived in Huaraz, we could see we're driving in the valley and occasionally see some snows on the highest peak.

Got off from the taxi, with my spanish almost zero. I bargained with the taxi driver over a dollar fee to my hostel. I thought he told me 40 soles for 5 minutes drive to the hostel. I went like "What?.. too expensive!!" Until someone told me it's only a dollar! Then I started to realized that the taxi actually driver told me 4 soles, oh dear... I hope he didn't think I'm a cheap bastard bargaining over a dollar. So I called him back.. "Ok tres soles?" he agreed and had no problem finding the hostel, Jo's Place... my home for the next one month in Huaraz.

Tags: cruz del sur, huaraz, lima, peru

About trekearth


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.