Existing Member?

The Happy Scamper

5 Must Do Things in Manila

PHILIPPINES | Monday, 5 September 2011 | Views [5990] | Comments [1]

Things to do in Manila

Things to do in Manila

Manila.  Capital of the Philippines, city of billboards.  A lot of tourists opt to skip staying here altogether, but there’s a reason why Filipinos flock from all corners of the country to try their luck here.  Is it crazy?  Definitely!  But I bet you won’t be complaining of any lack of character in this place either. 

So from a true blue Manilenos perspective, here’s a top-5 list of things to do for a fun and eventful stopover:

1.  Catch an Ateneo-Lasalle game.  Someone once said it is the most modern version of tribal warfare you will ever see in the Philippines.  What is it, you say?  It’s college basketball, of course!  It’s serious stuff where I'm from and best illustrated by an article that appeared in the New York Times some years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/23/sports/23rivalry.html

2.  Eat balut – People mistakenly think that Filipinos eat balut as a matter of course.  In fact, not a lot of people do, but they will try to get you to eat it anyway because seeing looks of disgust on foreign faces is so much fun.  As one of the few locals that actually eat balut (fertilized duck egg to those who aren't in the know), I assure you that they’re NOT THAT BAD.  If you give it the old college try, we’ll appreciate it.  But if you actually keep it in, we’ll respect you for it.

3.  Visit old Manila – One of the biggest complaints about Manila is the fact that there’s not a lot of history to be found here.  So when in town, make sure to visit one of the few places that actually have the old buildings still intact.  Strolling along on your own is the cheap option, but joining a tour (which locals are also wont to do) is another popular choice.  Ivan Mandy and Carlos Celdran are favorite tour guides.

http://www.oldmanilawalks.com/

http://celdrantours.blogspot.com/

4.  Check out homegrown talent – Filipinos are known the world over for their singing prowess.  So when in Manila, make sure to make a stop at places that feature local bands.  There are plenty!  Who knows?  You may just be inspired enough to hop on over to a videoke joint right after.

5.  People Watch – Nights out in Manila, which locals like to refer to as “gimmicks”, can be quite the production depending on what kind of place you go to.  It always changes, but as of this writing, people-watching is best at Greenbelt on weekdays and Resorts World on the weekend.

Oh I’m sure I’ll have a lot of people giving me their own two cents about the best things to do in Manila after this.   Obviously there’s more to Manila than just these 5, and I know you’ll soon find that out for yourself when you get here.

Tags: #blogyourbackyard

Comments

1

Awesome post Traveltym!

Your dam right when you say Manila will never be described as lacking character.It's the kind of city that never stops, sleeps or misses a beat! Balut sounds like a pretty delicacy to me but I'll be sure to give it a go next time I'm there (much to the locals amusement I'm sure).



Sam :)

  Sam Coughlan Nov 19, 2013 2:19 PM

About traveltym


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.