Existing Member?

A Journey road to One Family under God

Harmony in Diversity

INDONESIA | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [243]

“One word, one dream

Many flowers, one garden.

Many stars, one sky.

Many colors, one race.

Many religions, one God. “

Mr. James Poon, ASEAN UNESCO Coordinator. 

            I’m always interested in youth program weather camping, upgrading, motivating, seminar and others kind of youth program. So, I always search in internet the information about youth program. Interfaith youth forum, that makes me interested in joining it. Interfaith youth forum is one of ASEAN UNESCO project special for youth, to give understanding about interfaith in order to there is no again the discrimination and intimidation because of the different faith. I was interested in much to join that forum and I applied it as soon as possible. I’m sure there are many competitors that also are interested. I’m optimistic who one of the selected participant and can go to Palembang, the city that always makes me desire to visit there. Exactly, when I was in the first semester, one of my fresh friend from Padang told me about the beauty of panorama in Musi river around which Ampera bridge background. Since at the time, I had a dream to visit Ampera and Musi one day later. By chance, the place is in Palembang.  

            After one month from application, UNESCO announced the selected participant. There were 40 selected participants from all over the world, and only 7 people were from Indonesia. I was one of the selected participants from Indonesia. I was so very happy. One week after the announcement, I have to arrive in Palembang. So, I prepared all out. Because I know that it is the farthest journey in my life, for about 2.000 Km.  And of course, it needs long time if using bus or train. So, the solution is going there by plane, by air.  I get many problems one of them is about the fee, because need much money to go Palembang by air, plane. Finally, my university covered all out the fee, many thanks.  And also about  the dispense to not join the class during my journey to Palembang, to join the interfaith youth forum. It will be interesting journey, I think. 

            Exactly, on 28 September the journey started. It’s the first time for me going somewhere by plane, never do it before. So, it’s very interesting to me. Moreover,   going to Palembang needs to transits in Jakarta. I took off from Juanda airport, Surabaya. It took one hour and twenty minutes for landing in Soekarno Hatta International Airport, Jakarta. During in the plane, many things that make me nervous and afraid. Because it’s the first,  I flied on the sky, 32 thousands meters, said the pilot. Lion air is the plane that I chose from Surabaya to Jakarta. It was night journey I did; I arrived in Jakarta airport at 11.10 PM, late night. I spent the night in Jakarta airport at the time because in the morning I must take off to Hasanuddin Airport in Palembang, on Friday morning.  I need 90 minutes to fly with Sriwijaya air to Palembang.The city of Pempek (traditional food), the city of Sriwijaya kingdom.

            Palembang is the capital city in South Sumatra province.  It’s a building city, development city. The zero dot city is from Ampera bridge, Musi river. Palembang also is called as east Venetian, a river city. Because Palembang is cloven by river as far the city. As arrived in Palembang, the committee picked up me to the boarding house, hostel for the selected participant. Welcome to Interfaith youth forum, the greeting welcome for the participant. I’m very nervous at the time because that forum is so different and so special for me.

 

Harmony in Diversity

            It’s Friday, the opening ceremony began. The traditional dance of Palembang as the opening program, to served and entertain the participant. Because of the traditional dance that so fantastic made my tied lose and I’m not tied again, very powerful dance that danced by professional dancer, very like it. Interfaith youth forum is opened by the Rector of Sriwijaya University. The total of participant is 40 participants, there are five religions. Islam, Catholic, protestant, Hindu and Buddha. The committee just limits the five faiths because of the security of forum.

            “I’m Maufiq, from Muslim Indonesia, and you?” “I’m Lucas, From Catholic Rome Australia” And “I’m Ratna from Hindu Indonesia” and “I’m Citrine from Protestant Malaysia ”.

 

That’s the introduction session, we are different, we have own culture, own faith, own race, must we riot? Of course No, we try to make big harmony family although we are from different aspect.  We try to respect others, loving each other, we are essentially one.  For a long Friday, we commit to keep each other.

            For me, it’s very taboo asking about someone’s faith or religion, because it’s so private and usually very secret. But in the forum, we try to make taboo thing become usual, and not too think deeply. Just respecting others and not disturbing others, our life will be fine.  Then,  we are asking each other about our own faith, there is no gap and secret thing to tell. We are so closed, closer and closer. And in the night, the committee divided the participant be roommate, one room is consist of two person that different background, very unique of course. By chance, my roommate is from Thailand, he’s Crist.  I think he’s a Catholic, but the fact he is Buddha. Before go to sleep, we make a sharing about our own life, especially about our faith. We study about it not for to underestimate or discriminate others, but to make understanding.  I opened my eyes; here I find a new life, new world. What is it very beauty life, tolerance and understanding in difference.  

            A new family has built, we were from different background. The second day is about seminar by five religion scholar. Muhyiddin is from Islam Scholar. Pastor Suroto is from Catholic. Ferdinand is from Protestant.  Gede Dharma is from Hindu. Dartha is from Buddha. They presented about the essentially of their each religion, all of the scholars said that their religions are love, affection and mercy. And all of them advised us to make one big family that respecting differences.  Such as, Ust. Muhyiddin said that Islam is consist of essential thing to the social, hablum minannas (relationship between human), hablum minallah (relationship human to God) and hablum minalalam (Relationship human to nature). As additional, he said in Human relationship there are tassammuh (tolerance), tawassun (balance), ta’aun (cooperate) and tawaddu’ (respect).

            Pst. Suroto as the Catholic Scholar, he said that in interfaith we need dialogue, an understanding dialogue. There are three types of dialogue; there are living together, action together and dogma dialogue. He advised to make an understanding dialogue, is not a dialogue that just has behind aim to attacking other religion. Romo Ferdinand presented about there are many victim of riot because misunderstanding between believers, moreover in Indonesia. He advised to the participant to always respecting others, receiving them as our family although different. Because different is merci. And Gede told us about the misunderstanding about Hindu religion according others, he convince to the all participant that Hindu just have one God, one Dewa. Is not what people think before that consider Hindu believed many Gods, it’s very wrong.  Finally, Dharta explained to all participant that Buddha is affection religion. Inside there is no command to do anarchy. Buddha is love  and peace.

           Harmony in diversity is a certainty; all of the participant become aware of this life, that we have just one God, but many roads to there. So, what’s for we fight for it? What’s for we make big riot even war for it? We realized that all religion is affection and love.

A Journey to God’s Houses  

            The third day was journey to five God’s houses. They are mosque, church, cathedral, Balinese temple and pagoda. Committee rent us a bus to around the God’s houses from the mosque until the pagoda. Start from Sunday morning, we visited the mosque where it around the Islamic boarding house (pesantren), At Taubah is the name of that Pesantren. The pesantren is very unique because it is not just about the Islamic lesson student but also that pesantren rehabilitates the victim of narcotics. They are the addicted much in narcotic, heroin and marijuana. I and the entire participant private share with them, many things that I get special about the others life, different life. Oh ya, the journey leader is the director of Unesco youth, James Poon and Rebecca from Dialogue Institute, USA. The pesantren give new information that Islam is not identical with terrorist as what issue todays about Islam. All of the participants like the pesantren, they were interested in deeper about pesantren.

 After leaving pesantren we visited church, the Pastor explained to us about the component in the church and the each function.  The Pastor is forbidden to marriage and have wife, he explain to us that he more priority the religion than material. For about one hour I around the church, it’s the first time to me to visit the church because of course it’s still very taboo. Then, we visit cathedral, the Protestant’s church.  There are some different between the church but essentially same, one. In the Cathedral, I and my Muslim friends pray Dhuhur, it’s very unique and taboo, but we try to tolerance each other. Because they understand that Muslim have obligation to pray five times in a day. Two hours, we were there, to study about what’s in cathedral activation.  Balinese Temple (Pura), we study about the Brahmana and all of the Goddess of Hindu. The Hindu scholar explained to us that the essentially they just have one God, the name of Goddess is just a incarnation of the God, or the other name of their God. Like in Islam, Ar Rahman, Ar Rahim is other name to the Allah.  And finally, we arrived in Pagoda in the afternoon; the Buddhist Monk wears the yellow dress and bald. He is so calm and peace person. He explained to us that Buddha lesson is much taken to psychology services. Such as, Yoga and other meditation to gain the calmness in life. Buddha teaches the peaceful and calmly life. By doing a simple thing but useful for other.  

This journey finished in the night, because tomorrow is the closing ceremony. And of course we have to show our performance group. My group agree to make poem dramatically performance and I have responsible to write a poem about togetherness, peace, difference and harmony in diversity.

                                           

Closing ceremony: One Family under God

On Monday morning, the sun still not so sight. Indeed, you will never see the Sun directly in Palembang because the sky always foggy every day, the white foggy.  The day is recreation or a refreshing program to visit all of tourism place in Palembang. As known, that Palembang is the host area of Sea Game 2012 and also host of PON XXII (National Sport Champion). So that, the Palembang city is the biggest city in Sumatra. The first vocation is Wisma Athlete Area, that it is famous because of the corruption case to the Nazaruddin and Anggie. Yes of course, Wisma Atlet (Sport Building) and the Sport Center is very big, because there is complete sport area. Sriwijaya stadium is the Sriwijaya Football Club stadium, a professional Club in Indonesia.

The second destination is the Hasanuddin Museum, here also with the fortress. There are many relic, estate, inheritance and archaeological remains inside.  The Guide explained about the history behind and the function.  The museum building is still pure although has been three centuries, still strong and artistic.

 And In the afternoon, Ampera Bridge and Musi River are the destination vocation. I was so glad at the time, because I will see the beauty of Ampera bridge panorama in the afternoon and the Musi River, clean and Clear River. The most unforgettable memory is when the rain fall for the first time in October month after the Dry season. I could see the rainfall around the Ampera, Musi while eating Pempek Palembang. It’s so wonderful memory ever.

Finally, we are on the closing ceremony. Before that, the entire group presented their best performance. Then, the committee announced the winner or the best performance in the closing ceremony. And I said many thanks after my group is announced as the best performance ever. I was so glad and really happy.

Interfaith youth forum, it’s unforgettable memory in my life. Because this journey shaped me as the understanding and tolerance person in life. This Journey shaped my principle, attitude, and more than a life. This journey is not just a journey but more.

           

Tags: a journey to god’s houses the third day was jo, balines, cathedral, church

About travellingandi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.