Existing Member?

One City at a Time

Olympic Fever?

CHINA | Sunday, 2 December 2007 | Views [547]

The Olympics is coming up. Everyone's either bought a ticket (if you haven't, then good luck finding one) or is just planning to watch it on TV...or that's what I thought.

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in Beijing is excited for the upcoming Olympics. This is the situation right now (still more than 8 months away from next year's star attraction) in Beijing: every bus ride is like another new sandwiched experienced, every walking-to-the-subway moment is yet another Stop-Pushing-Meeeeeeeeeee!!!! experience, and every subway ride is yet another stared-at moment from the locals (ooh...foreigner.).

Don't get me wrong. I like Beijing...lemme rephrase that. I LOVE Beijing. Have you gone to see their Kung Fu show, the Yi He Yuan, and do not forget have you ever tasted their Peking Duck? I LOVE Beijing! But when you get a wee bit more Beijing than you'd like to have...it can become uneasy.

So I asked my companions recently, what do you think about it?

I want to see the Olympics---I really do. In a country where I can barely understand a thing, the Olympics is one place I know where everyone in the arena will be able to understand the language of the foreigner next time, of the foreigner in front of him, and of the foreigners battling it out on the field---the cheer of hope, the cheer of victory, cheers that need no words, no mother language. But just imagining the traffic and the stress beforehand is not only disheartening... it's also stressful.

So if I do get a free ticket to the Olympics (doesn't everyone just wish that?), I'll be sure to already be in line at least a day before the big event. Dang.

Go Philippines!!!! MABUHAY!!! MANALO KAYO!!! TAYO ANG DA BEST!!!

Forget the words. It's all about the exclamation marks.

Tags: Just thinking out loud

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.