Existing Member?

Letters from Random Places

Return of the Coal Miner's Prodigal Son

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 5 April 2006 | Views [1687]

I headed back home to Scotland in April 2006 to tend to my aging mother and was staying at our house while she was in the hospital for a spell.

The last time my mother was dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th Century was when she got central heating installed about 15 years ago or so. The thing that never occurred to me until now, when I return to an empty and very cold house, is that although the pipes and valves and gizmos may have been 20th Century the foundational technology was definitely more 19th Century - it is COAL FIRED. Yes, coal, and trust me the heating system doesn't look anything like a charcoal grill.

Answer me this - how likely do you think it is that a California Condo dwelling homosexual is able to load, stoke, and fire a coal fueled heating system? Now I've seen Titanic just like everyone else, but I don't know one end of a boiler from another. Needless to say I am freezing my ass off staring into a very dark hole in the wall where a coal fire should be. And even if I wanted to try, I am under strict instructions from my dear old mother (who I should declare insane) not to touch or even attempt to get it working, lest I burn down the entire house, and looking at the place I am SO SO very tempted. Who installs a coal heating system anyway? I guess coal miners do, and guess whose family were coal miners...!

Large men in large trucks haul heavy bags of the stuff around to the back of our house, where it is stored in something called a "bunker". This is actually dual purpose in case zee Germans decide to attack again. Once the large dirty men leave, my small 70-something year old mother trundles her way outside into the bitter winter cold with a bucket to drag the coal back inside to heat the house. I mean, come on. Am I missing something?

Now, just to be clear, since I'm sure someone would get offended - it isn't really old low-tech 19th Century coal, it's fancy 20th Century coal called anthracite that doesn't smoke. This is supposed to be a blessing since otherwise we'd all end up with lung disease and breathing difficulties when the other 1000 houses in the neighborhood get their coal fires going. But, wait, aren't we in the 21st Century now?

I am bringing back lumps of anthracite coal for all of you as gifts and as a reminder why I am FREEZING my ass off.

Unfortunately there is a sequel. And for those who think this is all fictional or dramatized, I have to sadly and pathetically assure you that it is not.

Even although I was under strict instructions not to (under any circumstances) start the coal fire by my hospitalized aging mother, the sole electric heater that I was carrying from room to room gave up the ghost. My aunt offered to help stoke & fire up the boiler since the temperature had since dropped below 0 Celsius and it was snowing! Who could resist!

I return late that evening to pipes rumbling and rattling in the walls. My earlier innocent analogy to the Titanic was unfortunate, since it sounded like the house had hit an iceberg and was going down fast. As I raced to the bridge (aka mother's bedroom under the boiler), it had indeed sprung a leak that was running through the ceiling onto dear old mom's bed and we were sinking fast! Tempted to man the lifeboats, I managed to keep the house afloat after phone calls were made, my blood pressure went through the roof, and a very nice and entertaining local council plumber was called at 1am. With floor boards and carpets ripped up, a water pump replaced and a thermostat reset, we were back in business and steaming full ahead! I have since discovered there are two temperature settings - on and off. One involves sitting indoors with a down jacket and woolly hat, the other involves bikinis.

Stage 2 of the "Major Incident Response Plan" was now set in motion. An expert team of highly experience elderly aunts rushed to the rescue in "Operation Cover-Up". I informed the guilty aunt who helped set the unfortunate series of events in motion that "If I was going down, she was too". Under an unknown deadline, associated with mother's imminent discharge from hospital, the house needed to be dried out and returned to normal in the most minute detail. Stage 2 is still in motion and scheduled to complete by 12 Noon Monday. At 10am on Wednesday I am scheduled to be on a plane San Francisco bound, at which point, I hope I never see a coal fired heating system ever again in my life and I plan to drink heavily all the way home. I am hoping for plausible denial in the event my mother suspects something happened to her house, and in the event that she does suspect (or God forbid discover the truth) I plan to not answer the phone for about 2-6 months depending on the severity of the backlash.

This is Colin Smith reporting live from a damp but steamy house somewhere in southern snowy Scotland.

Tags: Family

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.