Existing Member?

Biking to Barcelona

Day 11 - Saint Emilion to Agen 90miler!!

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 6 August 2015 | Views [169]

Day 10 - Saint Emilion to Agen

Off to a flying start, the first stop wasn't until 30min into the ride a record for us! To strip down as the air was so still and muggy at 8am! 
 
After 21miles we stopped for a snack and a biscuit or three or five even! Who said we would loose weigh on this trip 😡
 
Soon after our refreshment stop Taitoko got a puncture. Then 10 minutes later Taitoko decided she needed to fiddle with her newly fixed tyre and due to her fathers biceps she ripped of the fricken valve so we are stoping again! This is great means Shiambi can blog on route! 
 
Our route took us through the Saint E-Milion vineyards and we were doused by the field sprinklers which was a welcome relief form hot hot muggy weather. Taitoko has been huge impressed by the French's passion for cycling the cycle routes and signage! So much so she wanted a photo! 
 
The route was a long one, supposed to be a 77miler day but as we seem to average at least ten miles extra so we have all braced ourselves for at least a 6 hour ride. Keeping this in mind there was a lot less chatter, giggles and stoppages! 
 
With Jassar's awesome route planning out longest day was also one of the flattest (with the exception of the first two hours).
 
It rained on and off all day but that didn't deter us.. We kinda liked the chance to cool off. We stopped along the canal under some shelter (standing room only) to much on our lunch, which consisted of a boiled egg for Taitoko and some bread and for the others bread and cheese not to mention a a drizzle of Apple purée to help moisten the bread (last nights desert) Taitoko's motto of 'waste not want not!' 
 
We continued our journey after lunch setting a cracking pace of 18/20 mph on hour 5 so not too shabby! And finally cm found. Coffee shop for our much needed caffeine fix. Taitoko was impressed by the jumping fish in the canal - much to her disappointment later it was just the local boys throwing stones! After a 25min stop we all got back on our bikes to the discover that Jassar had a puncture!! Doh the third tyre change of the day! Now we really much fix all those tubes!! 
 
As we entered the city of Agen we crossed over some cool bridges and took a few pics. The French have thought of everything for cyclists even the stairs have a little groove to put ur wheels on whilst you climb the stairs. Going up wasn't so bad but walking ur bikes down proved to be a little trickier! We stumbled across the coolest bridge that had water flowing through it and of course couldn't resist taking a photo. 
 
After almost 12 hours outside we all started to flag and saw a small super market and picked up our usual supplies to have a little fest in our hotel rooms once again. We then had our 'jobs' to do be for lights where out! Taitoko fixing the punctures, SHiambi uploading blogs and photos (and chatting away to her most amazing gf ever!) and Jassar making more scroggin! We now have it but the bloody truck load! and general house keeping -Jassar like the order! 
Lights out at 9:30 ready for another day! 

About tourdefriends


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.