Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

Preparing for the unexpected! – Now what? – Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 14 April 2015 | Views [518]

You may remember that my recent blog talked about not being well. I never expected to be practically bed bound for three days with a virus.

Or to hear the news when I woke up on Saturday lunchtime, that the best mountain biker I know was in A&E.  I never expected my friend, brother in law and personal cycling trainer, when cycling down a bridleway at speed to have to avoid a car driving up the bridleway (neither did he). He avoided the car but not the ditch (only just apparently) and fell off. He broke his elbow, dislocated his shoulder and collar bone.He is in fracture clinic today so we are all hopeful that he gets well soon and is back on his bike before long.

Completely unexpected for him. He lives for cycling and is the person who got me into it. And unexpected for me too, he has been instrumental in helping me get fit for 18 months. As well as an unexpected shock for another friend, who he is helping to build fitness to complete a 100 mile off road mountain bike ride in aid of the British Heart Foundation in July.

 

This is often something I see when talking to business owners, everything is progressing nicely and then something unexpected happens.

Unfortunately Cruse Bereavement Care Somerset only provides support for people whose experiences are such that there isn’t an obvious plan B. They support people who are experiencing the worst kind of unexpected, as well as those who may have had time to prepare for something that was previously unexpected, but which has become a personal tragedy. They definitely help people to develop their plan B and to cope after an unexpected shock.

My thoughts when choosing Cruse Bereavement Care Somerset were based around the fantastic support they provide to people who genuinely need it, but never knew this tragedy would require them to need it.

We never know what is around the corner, literally.

Sometimes considering what you would do if a certain situation arose, is enough to be prepared. Other times I find clients have or wish to create succession plans and growth plans.

Whether it’s business or personal, these shocks have served as a keen reminder to me that it is always worth having a plan B. Whatever happens, as humans we have to adapt to the changes that come our way, and for the most part, however hard it may seem at the time, we cope, we manage and we find a way through.

On a lighter note, my Sunday sofa slumber was woken to a wonderful email I received from John the Treasurer at Cruse Bereavement Care Somerset, stating £1400 had been paid from Just Giving.

THANK YOU to all who have sponsored me, it is being put to immediate use helping people dealing with bereavement. It is fantastic to see this money now going directly to them and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me to help them continue to provide such essential support for those who are experiencing personal tragedy.

 

If you haven’t yet had time to sponsor me and would like to, please go to https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/. And of course, please feel free to share this link with your networks too!

 

Thank You

Tags: challenge, charity, frustration, hard work, killimanjaro, mid life crise, panic, panic, summit, trekking

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.