Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

Panic – There is not enough time – Goal setting – Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 24 March 2015 | Views [481]

Six months. Not long now, and short enough to generate a fear of failure. Today’s thought was fear of not succeeding. Six months today I will be starting the climb of Mount Kilimanjaro.

 

Today the realisation of the size of the task ahead hit me, as happens to many business owners, not enough time, so I did the only thing any business person would do, I panicked!

 

Then I thought what am I going to do now? So I phoned my colleague and asked her to tell me not to be so stupid.

 

She did exactly that, with bells on! She pointed out that not everything goes to plan, and that achieving things is so often about the mindset. To cope when the challenges arise, one needs to revisit the plan to reflect on what comes next and how to achieve the goal. Frustration and/or panic is bound to set in at some point, but she reminded me of a challenge I took on recently which I worked my way through. This in turn allowed me the opportunity to reassure myself that I can do this.

 

Pointing out that it is not unusual to feel a bit overwhelmed when you are trying to achieve your vision, the conversation allowed me to revisit my plan, which includes surrounding myself with the right people and making sure I have the right support.

 

This is similar to the way a lot of business owners feel. I often hear that the change they wish to make is just too difficult, often hiding behind being too busy being busy to notice the things that need to happen or to make the changes required.

 

This is the excuse I keep using, being too busy to up my exercising past the two/three times a week.

 

So now, as the nights are getting lighter, it’s my chance to overcome this.

 

Weekly targets are now set, badminton on a Tuesday, I often do a big cycle ride on a weekend, I now need to add a short cycle sprint in mid-week and plenty of good days out trekking, working in my boots and ensuring I climb some hills to help to prepare for the mountain.

 

I also may need to overcome my hatred of gyms, I detest everything which relates to a gym, an exercise class etc. However when I look at my training regime, it’s fairly obvious that I need to work on some upper body strength. Like I often find with business owners, it’s easy to do what you enjoy (cycling), but I need to take the big step and push myself out of my comfort zone. Having made that decision, taking the first step is the challenge for this week, so look out for an update which includes me visiting a gym or finding another way to build upper body strength.

 

If you would like to sponsor me, please go to https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/.

 

All the sponsorship is going straight to Somerset Area Cruse Bereavement Care in Street, Somerset

 

Thank You, sponsorship stands at £1500 so far

 

Tags: challenge, charity, hard work, killimanjaro, panic, summit, trekking

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.