Existing Member?

Life As We Live It

Copacabana

BOLIVIA | Tuesday, 29 November 2005 | Views [1487]

Hello all!

I´m so glad to hear that you are enjoying our little adventures.  Writing it all down is also a good way for us to have lasting memories when ours begin to fail us...I´m sure it won´t be long now!

Our ´bus´ journey to Copacabana consisted of a small VW like van with about 12 people crammed into it. One guy was standing right in the door jam area...It was insane. We met a couple of guys travelling around Bolivia and Peru who were originally from Poland.  One was our age, Martin, and the other guy, Renaldo or something, was older.  They had been away for a year and thier trip started out with being sponsored by a tractor company in Poland and getting a tractor, shipping it over to S.America and travelling from Aregentina to Bolivia on the tractor alone. It was insane. The tractor is now broken down somewhere in Argentina and they have another car broken down in Peru which they were trying to get back in the last visit. It was insane. It made us feel VERY normal!! They ended up loving Bolivia and starting some kind of archaeology company and started digging for ruins in the Bolivian jungle where they still are today. They helped us get past the peru-bolivia border cause Martin spoke very good spanish and we literally walked right over to Bolivia, hopped onto another less crowded van and arrived in Copacabana. Tyler and I wandered around for a hostel and we met up with the two polish guys at the beach to get a drink.  They were very impressed to find out that I had polish heritage...the older guy claimed he knew it all along...and we sat and swapped perogie and cabbage roll stories and I spoke the only 6 or 7 phrases I know of in Polish.  It was kinda fun.  After a few beers and a fresh meal of fried trout, they were on thier way.

We met up with the same german girls who we had met in Cusco.  It was a total fluke, but they saw our names being registered in the same hotel that they came to later that day!  We met up, shared Machu Picchu stories, and went out for another night of eating.  It´s kinda funny how we really do keep meeting up with certain people who are on the same type of route as us.

The next morning we woke up and it was miserable and cloudy. We had plans to take a boat to a small island called Isla Del Sol where the first Inca was born and had kids or something...all the inca mythology starts to blend together after a while.  We decided to take our chances with the weather...I popped a few gravols and we set off on a motor boat type thingy accross the rough waters of Lake Titicaca...the highest navigable lake in the world.  It was about a two hour ride to the island.  I slept sitting up for some of it...those gravols really do a number on ya!  We walked up about 1000 steps to reach the top of the island and a little village where we took shelter in a tiny restaurant for hot chocolate to wait out the rain.

I will finish our exciting island story when we next get the chance!!

I hope all is well in Canada and look forward to hearing from you soon! As you see, the comments are still visible cause I couldn´t change them to be non-visible...if that makes sense.

Love and hugs,

Julia

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.