Existing Member?

Alone in Spain

Getting Lost in Spain

SPAIN | Friday, 16 May 2014 | Views [313] | Scholarship Entry

I was standing in front of the kitchen door hold a tough carry-on luggage with a secret purse under my black top when I heard my Spanish name, "Elena!" I expected to see a lovely wrinkled face, but I’d never be prepared for what I saw in the eyes: the sadness of saying goodbye. I was about to say a word when she suddenly pointed at a handmade Thai bracelet with a tiny letter. She said it's too much. I thought it's too less. That moment took me back to the first time the bracelet was given to the first host's hand. Before I left, I made sure my host knew I appreciated his kindness, and I wouldn't forget the evening when he took me to his boyfriend’s workplace: a tiny but perfect amusement park at the top of a windy mountain where he copied my idea of taking pictures of a rainbow ferris wheel before we rushed to see the sun creating the last golden light to Barcelona. He confirmed I would love Valencia, but he didn't know I’d get lost since my first day because I randomly jumped to one bus waiting in front of me, and it's true that a wrong bus could take you to a right station which was a park where I found 2 sweetest kids. I saw the happiness of close-knit family in her sweet brown eyes while she said, "My aunt's name is Elena too.", and I could tell the brother's absolutely proud of being a big boy when I heard, "I'm 5 years old!" I found my heart grew fonder when 2 siblings tried to put violet-coloured flowers to my hands as much as possible. Above all, the best part was when they saw their name, a little gift when I had nothing in my pocket, in Thai language for the first time. Another time I had chocolate to give for a family sitting next to me at a concrete bridge from the beach to the greenish sea in Palma de Majorca. "I got it!" said a little boy before he freed a fish from his rod into a pail hastily, and later taught me how to fish like him. It was the same day I discovered how I loved Spanish checked kisses when a lady asked to help me whlie I was desperately doing selfie. She gave me a big hug and kisses after a lovely talk. There again, after kissed on the lovely wrinkled face of my Italian housemate. I had an irresistibly urge to hug her again, knowing how lucky I was. I promised her in Spanish I’d learn Italian, she told me back in her language she’d wait to see me again. I said, “¡Hasta pronto!” It wasn’t a goodbye, it’s “See you again!”

Tags: 2014 travel writing scholarship

About tinkelena


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.