Existing Member?

Strangers on a Lane

Names of God

UGANDA | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [350] | Comments [7] | Scholarship Entry

The boy in shorts waits on a veranda near a grocery store in Kagugube, a Kampala suburb. With his hands stretched out, he jumps around a movie poster. He looks very serious as another boy (his size) approaches. The other boy grips at his hand to drag him away. He explained what he was doing there but the other boy persists and they start fighting, pushing and tugging at each other until they fall to the ground. Through the gather of young men and children, curtains draw in one of the rooms of the residences above the lane. A woman peeps, the boys untangle. The other boy moves away as shirtless men come to off load boxes on a lorry parked on the other side.
At the end of LDC road is a grand student’s hostel. Sitting below a window on the ground floor, an old man recites the names of God: Shalom, El-Roi… The street is dimly lit when I return, but the boy in shorts still waits. In his palm he holds his chin like a grown up lost in thought. It is 8:00 PM, to mean, the boy has spent more than four hours on that cold veranda. Out of the yellow light of the grocery store, a woman emerges. If she is his mother, am not sure, but she would be the one. A slim woman in her late thirties, punctuated in a long skirt and sleeveless blouse.
He is telling her something as they walk but she stays firm and straight, and not listening. In my need to know them, I named them God’s names. Shalom: the Lord is Peace, for the boy in shorts who stays waiting on his mother and El-Roi: the strong one who sees, for the mother who disappears for hours in a grocery store. I think of them while waiting to be served in a restaurant on another lane; my hungry eyes heavy with sleep. But the boy, whose khaki shorts are memories of innocence, still waits. This time not on a veranda but inside my head, watching his mother dry her hair in the hooded dryer of a salon in the suburbs.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

Comments

1

amazing story!!!!!! really creative and original.

  sharon May 27, 2014 9:24 PM

2

wow creativity inspires me a lot

  Gladys Matovu May 27, 2014 10:18 PM

3

eye catching and interesting, so rear a piece of art to find.

  Becky May 27, 2014 10:26 PM

4

ts very nice

  vykie May 27, 2014 10:43 PM

5

Good story, keep it up

  Ann May 27, 2014 10:52 PM

6

so sweet n inspiring!!!!!!

  brendahasashya May 27, 2014 10:56 PM

7

thank you very much, let's look forward to next week 6th...

  Tim May 28, 2014 4:25 AM

About timkironde


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.