Existing Member?

Excerpts From The Travelling OT

Sunset Reflections

PERU | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [181] | Scholarship Entry

My favourite part of a sunset is the reflection. Tonight I sit on the beach, watching the sun chase its reflection over the water. The soft orange and yellow hues dance in the waves. The warm breeze tousles my hair and I snap a picture of the horizon. I curl and uncurl my toes, feeling the sand between them.

“Aman-da,” someone says, offering me a swig of pisco. I love how my name, so ordinary at home, takes on a new life with an accent. I take a sip of pisco, feeling its warmth travel through my body. I pass the bottle and watch as it continues around the bonfire. I listen to the man play his guitar as he seamlessly moves between Spanish and English songs. I wonder if he understands the English words, or just memorizes them.

I teach my new Peruvian friend the phrase, "quarter-life crisis". As he translates the words, a smile spreads across his face.

“That’s it!” he says, his voice elevates in pitch, “that is how I feel. Time is moving too fast. Everyone is getting married and having kids, and time is just moving too fast.”

I smile, in recognition. I know that feeling too.

“Quarter- life crisis,” he repeats, mulling it over. The simple phrase names and normalizes his feelings. He seems to breathe a little easier as a result.

At home, hangs my picture of that sunset. It reminds me of how that small, shared understanding fed my need for connection that day. Yet, I was not quite satisfied. If I shared my quarter-life discomfort with him, maybe I would breathe a little easier too.

To future Aman-da, and anyone craving connection, be brave and be vulnerable. My favourite part of a sunset is the reflection.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About thetravellingot


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.