Existing Member?

New Zealand or BUST! Why go...not to escape reality, but to find it...to see hitherto unexperienced horizons of beauty...to have the courage to turn against habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living...to be wild at heart.

Parties and Goat's Milk

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 24 February 2008 | Views [836]

The South Island is all that I had hoped.  This area kinda reminds me of Washington State.  I flew over the Cook Straight yesterday (22 mins at 2500 ft.)  I was amazed at how low we flew because, as some of you know, I jumped out of a plane 3 days ago at 12,000 ft.  Let's just take a moment to recap my final days on the North Island.

Left Hastings on Thursday morning.  It took catching 4 rides before I got all the way to Taupo, but it was worth it.  The day was perfect for a skydiving trip.  I wish I had a picture to show, but the DVD and picture gallery of my dive would have cost an extra $179.  You will just have to believe me that I did it.  The next day I got to Wellington and enjoyed the laid back cafe culture.  Wellington reminded me of Chicago (just the nicer bits and only 10% the population).

The guy that gave me a ride from Picton to my current location was something!  He hunts wild pigs--with 3 dogs and a knife.  Yeah.  He just stabs them in the chest while the dogs hold them down.  That's pretty hardcore, eh?

So now I am here WWOOFing in Motueka until the 4th.  Actually, I will be taking a 3-4 day break to hike and camp the Abel Tasman National Park.  I like this family, and this morning I milked the goat.  We then ran the milk through a sive and then enjoyed it fresh and warm!  There will be a neat building project before I leave, and until then, I will love the pets.

Last night they took me to a neighbor's birthday party.  Nice food and nice folks.  What a way to be introduced to the South Island!  I don't have a great computer here, so expect a rush of pictures on the 4th.  I will likely have about 400 from the beautiful Coastal Track.  For now I need to plan some camping meals.

Tags: Adventures

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.