Existing Member?

New Zealand or BUST! Why go...not to escape reality, but to find it...to see hitherto unexperienced horizons of beauty...to have the courage to turn against habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living...to be wild at heart.

Kidnapped by Brazilians

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 11 February 2008 | Views [1991] | Comments [1]

Well, I learned a lesson the other morning.  Don't force things to happen.  I tried to force an apple-picking job to happen even though it really isn't the season yet.  I ended up weeding pumpkins 20 kms away from Hastings!  Oh, and the pay-rate wasn't good and I don't know if I'll see the money anyway.

Basically, I set things up with the Brazilian guys staying at AJ Backpackers with me.  Their english is kinda Gantsa-rap mixed with Frat Boy.  Well, we get up early and catch a ride with some friend and the father of the farm-owner.  With all the language barriers at work, we end up in the pumpkins when we thought we'd be picking apples.

Hot sun, sore back and not fun work.  But by Noon, a nice German couple were leaving to come back to town.  I was able to catch a ride with them.  Germans to the rescue!  Like I said, who knows if I will ever see my money.  I did give my work-visa info to the owner this morning, but I feel that he might be a kinda crooked guy anyway.

I am just going to work at the Backpackers to earn some extra cash, and I go WWOOFing again on the 20th to a Vineyard between here and Napier.  Plus I am going to take a day off before then and go see Napier.  So expect Art Deco photos.  Things are good.  I hang out with those Brazilian guys (plus a couple of French girls) at the Backpackers most nights.  I am popular because I know English so well and can explain what they said on TV (usually American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance--Australia).  It's a talent!

I have a feeling I will miss AJ's when all is said and done.  But I must keep on moving and seeing and doing!  I made some great lamb stew the other day.  No big deal.

Tags: I should have known better!

 

Comments

1

HI, Adam. It's Mon. morning here. This is Valentine's week. So, I was able to send some cards, a little cash, and a few neat clothes items to Sara, Sky, Kim, Kadin and Sierra. Sara has an electrical problem that Troy Cobb is going to fix for her. Hopefully he will also be able to look at the garage door opener for her while he is there. Brandon got back with some old friends while in Lexington and was drinking again. But, Troy says that he is okay now that he is back in Boise. The weather has taken a warmer turn here. We are just hoping that the snow will not melt too fast in the mountains and cause floods everywhere. I know you have to pay for on line time, so will not say more now except that I love you. You are a forever Valentine to me.

Mom

  Marty Feb 12, 2008 4:56 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.