Existing Member?

New Zealand or BUST! Why go...not to escape reality, but to find it...to see hitherto unexperienced horizons of beauty...to have the courage to turn against habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living...to be wild at heart.

What a birthday present

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 17 January 2008 | Views [737]

I made it to the Coromandel.  When I got to Thames (said like the river in London), I wanted to head up north to a different part of the mountains than my bus was traveling to.  I asked the bus driver, and he told me to hitch-hike.  Now, I have heard from several smart people here in N.Z. that hitch-hiking is very safe and easy.

I wasn't on the side of the road for 5 minutes before a white toyota pulled over.  In it were 3 American college students from Indiana University (Shen, Evan and Phil).  They gave me a ride and we made fast friends (Hemingway, Budha, Orson Scott Card, and many other classics).  So I stuck with them and ended up in Wangamata (not in my original plan).  Today we are heading to Hamilton (going to hike and fish along the way).

If I have them drop me off at Waitomo in a couple days, I will be right back on my bus route.  We will see; it is nice to have some travel buddies for a while.  These are the kinds of stories I wanted to have.  I might also go WWOOFing in this area for a while.

I also made friends with two Kiwi guys at the Backpacker lodge in Auckland.  I hope I find them in Wellington.  Never do we know what's in store...that is why we have to grow our trustfulness.

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.