Existing Member?

Looking for the heart(h)

My 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip entry

HUNGARY | Wednesday, 16 April 2014 | Views [231] | Scholarship Entry

My only excuse ? I was just a kid. I hated school, loved fooling around with friends in the neighborhood and never ate vegetables. And I was blind to the wonders of the city I lived in. Well, I had one eye patch. I absolutely loved climbing the fortification walls just at the feet of the mountains surrounding our little town, pretending to be the yeniceri sent in the first wave of attack , eager to slay down the infidels inside. The next day I was a noble knight on a holy mission of protecting the One I cherished the most from the mongol horde. Couple of bastions , some walls, remainders of an era long gone with the now so peaceful canon balls.
When I first arrived to Budapest , I had very mixed feelings.Exhausted after long trip by bus from Brassó ( Transylvania ) I wasn't very keen on discovering anything but my bed, although I was amazed by the city's size. And then we arrived to the Elizabeth bridge and all the marvel of the Buda castle just unraveled itself shining , glimmering in the night , lit up , massive walls, monster of a fort. Suddenly all the childhood memories came back, I was again a Yeniceri ( in a Skoda taxi ) ,I was again a noble ( with a walkman - ok, this was 1996 ) . I just had to discover all the secret (...) passages, walls, take long walks in the shadows of old chestnuts , listen to the sounds of carriages pulled by horses on cobbled streets and see the the mortars and swivel guns and cannons. The main building today is home to the National Gallery , no trace left of the people who once lived there, though there were quite a few ( building was started first in the XIII century ) kings, monarchs, artists , even pirates who roamed those corridors. The Great Rondella, seemingly indestructible, just waiting for the ladders and gun smoke and boiling oil, yelling, screaming, blades clashing , arrows whistle but it's only a dream now, chatter, laughter, music and phone ringing are the battle noises it endures majestically, perhaps a little sad without purpose , but grateful for the cherry drink spilled by children.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About thechase


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.