Existing Member?

Getting Lost Will Help You Find Yourself, Travel Often

Looking for Ketut

INDONESIA | Thursday, 26 June 2014 | Views [539]

Don't get me wrong, I love Bali but it really is Australian's second home. Aussies with their sunburned skin covered in ridiculous tan lines, wearing fluro coloured clothes and Bintang singlets; stalk you where ever you go. I even tried escaping to the confines of the infamous Monkey temple in Ubud where once again I was surrounded by THEM. Why do Australian escape to Bali? For the same reason I went there. 

 

While walking down the main strip of Semenyak, I see a sign stating 2 for 1 happy hour from 12noon to 9pm. I don't think twice. This must have been my best idea yet I decide. I'm sat on a rickety wooden chair sipping an extremeley alcoholic, fruity, multi-coloured cocktail and am surrounded by like minded people; all of us are tourists. My day gets blurry from there on in.

 

I'm sat under a colourful umbrella that I paid 25,000 rupiah for on Double-Six beach feeling sorry for myself. My head pounds from a too few many colourful cocktail creations the day before. I've covered my face in a pair of sunnies and a hat. A Javanese man by the name of 'Eddie' wants to teach me how to surf for 20USD. An hour later, I have a broken bikini top, rashie vest tan lines and a huge grin on my face. Who knew I could stand up on a surfboard un assisted!

 

'Jim' is a Javanese man who is selling me a Bintang singlet and an ankle bracelet that I brought down from 10USD to 5USD with my impressive bartering skills. I wave goodbye as I walk away from his store to the next one, which also sells Bintang singlets and ankle bracelets. There seems to be a theme to this shopping madness. 

 

Again, I'm sipping on another alcoholic concoction aka the Potato Head special. According to my friends, the Potato Head Club was a must go. I now know why. Who knew food could taste so good. The sunset was a plus too I guess...

 

I get my first taste of the culture behind Bali on my ride back to my Villa. 'Wayan' my Balinese driver explains to me the naming system of Balinese siblings. There are four names in the Balinese culture based on birth order: Wayan, Made, Nyoman and Ketut. Now I know that Rhonda's Ketut has brothers out there somewhere..

 

When I embargoed on this holiday, I didn't expect to find myself sipping a long neck with a local Balinese family. They're lovely and have fed me enough Nasi Goreng for a lifetime. They explain to me the reason for the offerings I see everywhere I go and answer my other silly questions. They seem to love Australia. The Australian flag on their wall made it fairly obvious.

 

I'm sharing an exotic sunset at Tanah Lot Temple with hundreds of tourists. My pictures would be perfect were it not for all the tourists. I'm still amazed by the beauty and tranquility. There are some locals surfing near the reef below.

 

Its my last day and I'm already thinking of the next time I come back to Bali. The people, the hospitality, the surf, the sunsets. These are the reasons that Australian's come back for more. As I get on the plane back home, I realise how much I resemble these Australians; with my Bintang singlet, rashie vest tanlines and laid back attitude. Bali, I will be back.

 

Tags: bali, beach, culture, people, seminyak, sunset

About tgw


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.