Existing Member?

Horner travels ... Of all the pages in a book, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport...

KL Hop On Hop Off Bus

HONG KONG | Tuesday, 29 March 2011 | Views [712]

Central Point Tower

Central Point Tower

We had decided to take the KL Hop On Hop Off bus (despite the one on the coast of HK not being necessary). This one went to over 20 sights and was worth the $13AUD to get around the city easily and not have to negotiate all the different unconnected forms of public transport here. Here's where we hopped off to take in the cultural sights:

  1. The National Museum (another great museum and not too big - 1 1/2hrs needed).
  2. Merdeka Square (just spent 10 minutes in the square itself to photo shoot the array of interesting architecture surrounding it)
  3. Twin Towers
  4. Kraft Cultural Komplex (has a great souvenir shop and outside huts with craftpeople at work- glad had a little time here)
  5. Trendy central area of Sun Gai Wang Plaza in order to check out a 7 floor electronics/techno' department store called Lan Yat, just around the corner from the bus stop. A great place to buy phones if you can knock down their intial overpriced quotes - didn't find what we were looking for though.
  6. Last stop at Central Market near our lodgings.

Have to mention that we had a terrific 2 course meal at an Irish (come English) pub called Malone's. We stumbled across it at the back of the Twin Towers, an esplanade with lake views although we had seen signs for it around town. At $20AUD per person, it was a bit more than the common cafe or street food however Mum enjoyed her 3 varieties of sausages on mash with cabbage and caramelised onions and Guiness gravy followed by smashed meringues with strawberries, cream and coulis. As has become habit, Mum accompanied this with a fresh green apple juice. It's replaced her terrible tea habit! I enjoyed a 1/4 BBQ chook on mash with wilted spinach and shallots with a mustard cream sauce followed bu a pear and apple crumble with vanilla ice cream. The crumble had toffee crumbs in it! It was a long 8 hour, hot day so we came back to the lodge for another rest. In the slightly cooler evening, we ventured back outside and again combed the streets of Chinatown and Sentral Markets. As the food court was shut, I ordered a 70centAUD fresh naan bread with dhal and curry sauce. Mum had a green apple juice (though not quite the same quality in this street Indian establishment). Bed at 10pm as all the others in the guesthouse were heading out to the Reggae Bar - I was invited too but didn't think I would have lasted more than 10 minutes trying to keep up with the young backpackers so went off to bed and was asleep within minutes. We are finding KL exhausting and our pace has slowed down.

 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.