Existing Member?

Horner travels ... Of all the pages in a book, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport...

Island Hopping

CHINA | Sunday, 27 March 2011 | Views [865] | Comments [1]

Spent the early hours exploring more of Tai O- walking in  the opposite direction to a local Ferry Terminal enjoying watching the locals getting ready for their day. After coming to a dead stop (military signs warning no entry), we returned to the Cultural Centre and decided to follow a sign to a dolphin lookout. Most tourists jump on a small boat to be taken to see the endangered local pink dolphins but we hoped we could see it a different way. Up the hill we panted past hundreds of graves suffocating the hills and mountains in large concrete shrines. Mum will never forget the steps we had to climb - they went on forever. At the mountain's peak, we walked along the ridge carefully watching in hope but we were not to see any type of dolphin today - I wonder if the tourists see any on their boat trips for $3AUD. After consuming a sesame and white bean paste "ladies Cake" from a local bakery, we boarded the bus destined to CityGate via the snaking mountain roads. A pleasant one hour trip for scenery as you pass many mountains and some of the coast. Found a local airport bus and took it to our most prestigious accommodation thus far- The Marriott- at HK's international airport, or should I say city? Of course our room was perfect, with hazy views over the South China sea. Rested for a while as we settled in, then caught a bus again to CityGate - as well as a transit point, it has a DFO like outlet. Bought nothing though enjoyed a lovely Indian dinner here for $7AUD, probably a tenth of the price of The Marriott's meals. Treated oursleves to dessert later that night, back at the hotel - at $15AUD, my chocolate brownie and marshmallow mousse with alcohol laden cherries was an absolute treat!

Comments

1

Yum, chocolate browne and marshmellow mousse.... perhaps Nim and I can attempt to make this when we have our cook off!
sounds like you two are having a ball - can't wait to hear all about it in person when you get back.
Leanne

  Leanne Williams Mar 28, 2011 7:55 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.