Existing Member?

Eye of the Tempest

"Barca, Barca, Barca!"

SPAIN | Wednesday, 31 May 2006 | Views [1664]

Ola!

If you want to sit on the beach, relax your brain and not be disturbed till your holiday ends, don't come to Barcelona!

Don´t get too confused that every second place name here includes the words 'la ramblas:' this literally means 'the rambles'and is a fair description of the central city. The buildings here have been layered for thousands of years. Today they are so densely packed that if they didn´t support each other they look like they would topple over!


This place is jam packed with so much adventure that the other day a friend commented, 'One day's experience in Barcelona is worth at least a week anywhere else in Spain!´ Barcelona pays particular attention to the little details and ensures that every spare square of space is intricately devoted to arts, culture and the curious. Just walking through the city can be an adventure in itself; intricately engraved pavement stones, acrobatics being practised on the beach, strange gargoyles staring forebodingly down from the Cathedral turrets and even the imaginative human statues on La Ramblas. Keep your eyes peeled because some of the most interesting sights are not marked out on any city maps. For example, down a dingy alleyway in the densely populated Moroccan barrio I found the ruins of a second century Roman cistern currently being excavated.


On the way to meet some friends for coffee I stumbled across the cathedral dedicated to St Augustine. Inside there were the most interesting depictions of Jesus in agony on the cross, as a benevolent child, as the saviour on the ass, as an African, as a European and most remarkably, as a strong young man just walking down the street like any you could pass today. This artwork was so intricate, purposeful and extravagant, especially compared with the streets outside, that you could almost feel the devotion this cathedral inspired. If you could imagine being an impoverished serf from the fourteenth century; limited food and health care, no prospects and the mysterious Black Plague has just wiped out 3/5 of Barcelona's population (Barcelona was one of the earliest and hardest hit by Black Plague in Europe). In this anxious and desperate state, you walk through the rambling, overcrowded streets stinking of sickness and rotting corpses, crying families, moaning infirms, suspicious people selling off their family treasures in the streets. You push open the massive Cathedral doors and enter the cool, vast space inside. The coloured lights from the stain glass windows play on the arched ceilings and solid, sturdy columns and illuminate words of hope, images of benevolence and celebrated saints who all suffered far worse fates than the often quick black death. This cathedral left me with a strong impression of the millenia of religious devotion for which Spain/ Spanish Catholicism is notorious. In Barcelona, you can very much feel that the Cathedrals were not only built to inspire awe, but as sanctuaries. A feeling of solid security, continuity and respite is fostered in their very architecture. It is well worth taking yourself for a few walks around the city centre, minus the tour guide, and absorbing their sobering atmospheres for yourself.

Barcelona today is proudly Catalan (in region, nationalism and language), which is an area very proud of its x3 greatest inventions:
1. chup a chups (literally meaning 'lollipop' in Catalan)
2. The common house mop. Before they invented the mop, floors were cleaned on hands and knees using a rags and brushes.
3. The human pyramid - these people love to climb and it is not uncommon to see them building human pyramids at celebrations, on the beach, or just any old time and place. When Barcelona won the European Soccer championships two weeks ago, for example, the streets were not only packed deep with celebrating soccer fans, fireworks, firecrackers and alcohol, but also packed high: they climbed human pyramids, newsagent vendors, information booths, streetlamps (many of which were damaged in the process) and trees. The streets were literally dripping with jumping jacks shouting ´Barca, Barca, Barca!' until well after I went home and to bed six hours after the match was won. I have never seen so many people celebrating in one place! (see photos)

Back in the Barcelona streets the balconies are full of life, laundry, plants and colour. Though you would be hard pressed to spot a tree in the central city, this place has developed a natural beauty all its own that leaves most nature lovers pleasantly surprised (plus, there are enough parks to satisfy the nature cravings).

One of the much loved fathers of Barcelona is Gaudi. If you don't know who he is, find out before you get here for fear of offending the locals or of missing any of his great works. Antoni Gaudi was a very unusual architect from the turn of the twentieth century who promoted the use of natural structures and themes in his constructions. His most famous project, the Sangrada Familia, was commissioned by the Sangrada Familia Christian sect of which Gaudi was a devotee and was begun in 1882. It is currently about half way finished. Not only is the Sangrada Familia a monument of modern architecture, it is was an undertaking from the twentieth century as a whole. Much like the cathedrals and castles of old, the attention to detail and extravagance of this building encompasses the changing styles, artwork and technologies of the last century. The building itself is supported by dozens of massive columns shaped like trees. These columns boast an uneven branching system that canopy out under the ceiling like a great white forest. The ceiling itself is made up of dozens of sunflower shaped structures that allow light to filter through and that highlight the enormity of the structure. Outside there are a number of interesting and original frescos depicting such traditional images as the passion of Christ and the nativity in post modern style. Most notable, however, are the colourful spires covered in intricate mosaics and depictions of biblical animals (including lizards, mosquitoes and geese). These spires are topped with mosaic decorated balls that look a lot like chup a chups, but I am told actually depict the fruit of cornucopia. The most amazing part of the Sangrada Familia for me, though, was the fact that people are still working on its construction every day. Next to a tower I was oggling, which was decorated with stain glass sunflowers and fruit from the bible, there are also helmeted workmen smoking and eating their home packed lunches. It brings a feeling of the everyday to the austere reverence usually accorded such extravagant structures. The Sangrada Familia is colourful, intricately detailed, original and offers fantastic views of Barcelona. It is certainly one of the highlights of Barcelona!

On the agenda today: the Gaudi park and the Salvador Dali gallery.

Tomorrow I leave Spain for a month or two and travel on to discover sunny (heh-heh - just joking) Edinburgh. Edinburgh has been described to me as one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe. After Barcelona, that's a pretty tough call!

Ciao for now,

Tempest trailing on ...


Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.