Existing Member?

Earning a TEFL in Prague So, whats it like to earn a TEFL in the beautiful city of Prague in the Czech Republic? Well, I'm about to find out! Join me!!

Pre-Departure

USA | Thursday, 26 June 2014 | Views [335]

Welcome!

     Hello all, my name is Jake. Like many people, I want to travel and see the world. I want to experience all this planet of ours has to offer, both in nature and culture. And like most of us, I have to live in this world too. So, how does one fund a dream of traveling the world, and keep from starving to death? One answer, teach English. There are many countries throught the world that despiratly want native English speakers to teach English. So, lets tally it up, I'm a college student, English major, intrested in teaching, want to travel the world, aaaaa, perfect job! TEFL teacher! 

     Now, I came to this realization a few months ago. Putting it into practice has been quite another adventure. After several weeks of internet seaching, and several dozen study programs latter, I found one that looks perfect. Not only does it get my out of the house, but across the pond, and I get to earn my TEFL certification! So, off to Prague I go! (one of the most beautiful cities in the world btw) 

     No, wait, stop.... I forgot. Yea, you need MONEY to travel. Yea, umhumm, that green stuff that does NOT grow on trees. (trust me, I have a money tree, and I havent seen a single solitary dollar bill) Apperently its nessecary if you want to fly across the Atlantic ocean and get to the Czech Repubic. I mean, I did consider swimming, but I had to disiss that as totaly impractical. I mean, I just could not figure out how to carry my luggage!

     Well, now I have to find money, and visit a doctor to go over my immunizations, and get some shots, and buy travel insurence, and work with my college so I get some academic credit of of this. O yea, and buy plane tickets, and pay for the program, and find someplace to stay while in country, and on top of all that, I have to take out the trash! Boy o boy, what a day.

     So, what does a pennieless college student do to find enough money to travel abroad? Well, about the only thing I could do. Luckily for me, I'm an artist. So I figured, why not try and sell a painting or two to pay for the trip? Good idea right? Wrong. Nobody wants to by my art. At least not in Fredericksburg. I know, I've asked most of them in person. Sooooo, no art sold, no money. Guess I can't go......

     Wait, who is that? Get off of here you loser, I never give up. I'm going even if I DO have to swim!!!!! I'll just mail my cloths ahead!

     Luckily for me, I do actualy have a little money saved. Excuse me, "had" a little saved. But, I've got my plane tickets, health insurense, and program fees covered. I will be getting a little thiner this trip though. So, if your reading this, and you have ANY intrest in abstract art. Please check out my website. I don't need nearly as much as is listed for each of the paintings. If you see one you like, send me an email and I'll be glad to talk with you about it, and work out a much more reasonable deal.  To see my work, go to Fine Art America, and type in jake prague in the artist search box. That will take you to my page. I don't know why, but this system won't let me put the URL in here. 

     Anyway, I leave on July 5th. One stop at Paris to change planes, and then on to Prague. I will be leaving Prague to head back to the states on August 10th. 

     I'll be posting here frequently to keep up with the progess of the TEFL program, and to provid insights in the beautiful city of Prague!

          Thanks for reading,

                 Jake

Tags: israel, prague, study, study abroad, summer in europe, tefl

About teflprague


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.