Existing Member?

let the first time not be the last

My first time

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [122] | Scholarship Entry

Significant days. Let us reflect on a few of these 'red-letter days' :

There is the year 1886 - when gold was discovered in Johannesburg; making the city rich. In 1994 South Africa held its first democratic election , and then there was 2005 October 4 ...  the first time I rode a bus.

 
There were people all around me, but none appeared to be as perplexed as I was. "Stay close" my sister ordered. I followed her instruction, not because of obedience but because of the fear that I would be snatched, thrown into a duffle bag and regain consciousness in Afghanistan. I had never envisaged the bus station to be such a crowded and busy place.

 
 After obtaining the tickets, my sister led us outside... And there it was : the biggest car I had ever seen! It had fifty windows, twenty wheels and it almost reached the sky! (Ok, perhaps I am exaggerating daintily, but I was ten years old - it was the same year I believed that dolls came to life when no one was looking) . A spotlight shone on this magnificent vehicle; this bus by the name of Translux.

 

As we all aborted heaven, I mean the bus, I felt enraptured. As we departed, the blaring sound of the engine made it a reality. The movement of the bus was secure and consistent, however, what fascinated me mostly was looking down at passing cars and feeling as though I was soaring above them. It was a six-hour long journey and I remembered all four hours of it (so I fell asleep, doesn't everyone?)

 
"Welcome to Lesotho" was the first sign I saw when we reached the border gate, and beyond that sign I literally found greener pastures.  Upon our arrival, my family had prepared a great meal for us (what pleasant people). Later, we journeyed to see Morija - the palace of the king of Lesotho. We also perceived the beauty and tranquillity of this scenically mountainous land. We proceeded to observe the Katse Dam - the source of South Africa's water, and on that very same day I rode a horse - although, it took immense convincing from the owner that the horse had no desire to devour my flesh.

 

This was an exhilarating experience, but it was not until the end of the day - when I was standing on top of the vast Maluti mountains - that I realised that I was contented, not because I saw enormous dams, rode on a horse, witnessed the lovely Lesotho land, saw the home of the Royals or rode a bus - all for the first time, but I was jubilant because it was 2005 October 4...the first I travelled.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About tebello


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.