Existing Member?

Taro's Travels

Dalat: Kitsch

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 22 August 2006 | Views [685]

When Dalat, in Vietnam's Central Highlands, is viewed from a distance, it gives a very Central European impression. Many of the larger buildings are from French colonial days. The lake is a manufactured one; the hills in the background natural and unspoiled. The gables and eaves of its alpine houses will never know snow and ice - though from the way that some rug up for the 15-20 degree temperatures, you might be expecting blizzards. Its red-and-white scaled-down version of the Eiffel Tower is unimpressive during the day but pretty once it lights up. It's hilly around town - more pleasant to walk (and we did a _lot_ of walking) than to cycle. Cycling out of town, where the terrain goes from hilly to mountainous is recommended only for the energetic. A cable car runs above a pine-forested slope.

It seemed like a good place to burn four days - really two days since travel took 8 hours each way - since I possibly arrived in Saigon a little early for my package. Romi, who had been going to the Mekong Delta that weekend, unbusied further, and decided to go too.

Dalat is aimed a little more at Vietnamese tourists, who arrive in busloads, than Western ones, and enjoys a repution for oddness. The markets are full of what has rightly been described as kitsch. There are swans that one can pedal out on the lake - some hideous metal things, and some less hideous fiberglass ones.

There's skill in the artwork on display in its shops, but it still has a fundamentally tacky feel - perhaps because there's no subtlety of expression. Dalat has several churches but one Buddhist Monk, sometimes called "the Crazy Monk", who's produced concrete faces and many thousands of paintings and drawings. I wasn't mad about most of his work - though the more Chinese it was, the more I liked it - he'd a couple of good ink landscapes, as well as a proficiency in painting bamboo. He'd also a copy of Starry Night up, though whether this was his work or gifted I couldn't say - the art factories in Saigon pump out facsimilies and travesties of well-known and lesser-known pieces by Van Gogh, Klimt, Warhol, Monet, Lichtenstein, and others.

The so-called Crazy House was a hotel and art gallery, but appears to be purely operated as a museum at the moment - work continues on the buildings, and is scheduled to continue until 2010. It's architecturally odd - with accomodation buildings like tree-trunks, oddly-shaped rooms (each with an individual design), twisty ramps and stairs, and a concrete giraffe incorporated into the exterior design. It's admirable for its vision, scale and design, but breathtakingly ugly. Of similar vision, but much nicer, is the 100 Roofs Cafe, which has fitted out the interior of a townhouse as a forest cave - rendered concrete, wood, painted flowers and vines.

Tags: General

About taroso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.