Existing Member?

Stowing Away I stood between two facing mirrors & almost caught a glimpse of infinity, but my bloody head kept getting in the way

Canberra in a Heatwave

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 13 January 2007 | Views [2145]

In Canberra

In Canberra

After a day of travelling in blistering 40+ degree heat, we have arrived in Canberra. Both the van and us struggled a little in the draining heat but we pressed on with a few cooling rest stops. Along the approaches to Canberra by Lake George, a bushfire burned fiercly, blocking the road for some of the day. When we finally passed the bushfire area after dark, the whole hillsides glowed like lava from the embers of the mostly burnt out bush.

Yesterday also reached over 40 degrees (apparently their 3rd hottest day on record), and we sought some respite by going to the National Gallery, which is currently exhibiting "Egyptian Antiquities from the Louvre", which was very interesting. We also checked out the rest of the gallery's works. Jackson Pollocks splattered 'Blue poles' still reminds me of the TV ad about stain-resistant carpet, where the cleaning lady turns up, sees the "artistically splattered" mess everywhere, throws her hands in the air in disgust ("oh Mr Hart!"), and then proceeds to clean it up spotlessly. Apparently that cleaning lady hasn't made it to the National Gallery.

We've also been wandering about Canberra seeing the sights & taking a fair few pics. We caught up with Tam's brother who lives there, and tried out some nice resturaunts. Today we are heading off to Jindabyne and then to Thredbo to catch the blues festival.

Will write more soon!

Tags: ambassador van, australia, canberra, sightseeing

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.