Existing Member?

Steve and Emma's Travel Tales

A 3,000 km Road trip around New Zealand's Incredible South Island

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 1 January 2012 | Views [11245] | Comments [1]

People have been telling us for years that we should go to New Zealand – we finally got fed up of listening to them waxing lyrical about how wonderful it is, booked some flights and set off to find out for ourselves.  Obviously I’m writing this having been and come back, and have to confess the place more than deserves the hype.  As you know we’ve had some unbelievable holidays over the years but New Zealand goes straight into the top 5.  Okay everyone – you were right!

My literary and descriptive skills fall way short of being able to conjure up for you just how beautiful this country is.  In my journal I wrote that no country has the right to be so stunning at every step.  To describe New Zealand’s South Island as; beautiful, stunning, amazing, fantastic, gorgeous, wonderful, pretty, fabulous, striking, attractive, lovely, picturesque, scenic, delightful, charming, exquisite, pleasing, superb, magnificent, dramatic, eye-catching, dazzling, spectacular, astonishing, remarkable, unbelievable, incredible, extraordinary, excellent, terrific, marvellous, tremendous, brilliant, breathtaking, appealing, sensational, arresting, astounding & phenomenal would be fair.  I won’t bore you with superlatives every other sentence and assume you’ll use randomly and liberally from the list above when reading the travel tale below.

We thought that while we were still living in South East Asia it made sense to pop over to New Zealand.  Little did we realise that no one just pops over – it really is in the middle of nowhere with the flight from KL to Christchurch taking 11 hours!  On landing you don’t zip through immigration etc either as the authorities are rightly concerned about alien species.  As we were waiting for the bags to arrive the eager sniffer dog liked the smell of my bag but we’d already eaten the apples so no problem there.  Then our boots, tent and trek poles had to be inspected but again these passed muster without much to-do.  All the while the staff were very friendly and efficient and at least they didn’t make you feel like you were doing anything wrong / illegal.  The next step was to pick up the car where the paperwork took longer than we’d expected but again everyone was just being thorough.

We were all signed up, keys in hand, bags in boot and ready to set off.  With travelling all night we didn’t want to drive too far, but wanted to get out of the built up area around Christchurch, so drove 3 hours south to Timaru.  The only negative thing I can say so far is that it was overcast and actually raining.  However, we’d expected rain for at least 50% of the time we were going to be there and we weren’t going to let it get in the way of our plans.

Timaru

Unfortunately for Timaru, we didn’t see it at its best – grey, miserable weather and we were only there over night.  By the time we’d checked into Anchor Motel Backpackers (okay but a little pricey) and sorted ourselves out it was time to find somewhere to eat.  Now Timaru is a popular seaside town and it was summer so we expected it to be quite busy.  Not only was it spookily quiet but nearly everywhere was shut and it was only 9pm!  The first place we tried had great views over-looking the bay but it was a little on the expensive side.  So we supped up and wandered into town.  Obviously all the cafes were closed but we started to take it personally when take-away shops swung round the closed sign on our approach!  We eventually found a locals’ pub, The Sail & Anchor, it might not have been the most salubrious place for our first meal in New Zealand but a basket of chips washed down with a pint fit the bill.  Following a good night’s sleep we were up bright and early, like 5am with sunrise and chirruping birds, ready to start our latest adventure.  Hang on – first stop the supermarket to stock up on supplies for camping.  Self catering turned out to be the best way forward; the supermarkets had great offers on for Christmas and our limited experience of the country so far, showed us that eating out all the time would soon exhaust the budget.

 

 

Lake Tekapo & Glentanner

We soon left the flat farmlands behind and spent a couple of hours driving through a hilly landscape – this was more like it.  Unfortunately it was still grey and drizzling so you don’t need many of the words from the superlatives list!  Considering how grim the weather was it was amazing that we found the place as picturesque as we did.  Steve kept reminding me that it was summer but since I was wearing a fleece and a gortex coat just to have a peak at this lake I was finding it hard to believe.  Lake Tekapo is a brilliant, bright, glacial pale blue - the colour is caused by rock flour particles suspended in the water that then reflects light.  Apparently the lake is ringed by mountains but I can’t verify that fact.  We were in the area at the right time of year to see the lupins in bloom which added great swathes of colour to the currently dull scene.  The plan had been to take in a 3 hour amble up Mount John to the observatory to take in the views but it was way too miserable.  We had no ambition of getting soaked on our first outing and we hadn’t reached our final destination for the day.  Luckily you can drive up, so we did – fancy us using a vehicle instead of shanks pony!  We didn’t hang around as it was blowing a gale and beginning to rain more heavily.

We carried on to Glentanner Campsite on the edge of Lake Pukaki; another of those fabulous pale blue lakes surrounded by mountains.  In fact we should have been able to see Mount Cook (or Aoraki in the Maori language) from the campsite but it was so cloudy we couldn’t even work out in which direction it lay!  The campsite was excellent and very quiet so we had plenty of space to choose from to pitch the tent.  Fortunately the rain had abated to a drizzle so getting the tent up wasn’t the soggy experience I’d been dreading.  That evening we braved the cold in the al fresco  Bar-b-que area and thanked our lucky stars that we’d not pre-booked and forked out for a helicopter ride.  In fact the weather was so bad that all the copters and the little planes used for scenic flights were grounded.  There was no way we were parting with that kind of money unless the weather was perfect!

Despite the weather being a bit grim we’d had an excellent day and had thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of going where we wanted when we wanted.  All we could hope for was an improvement in the weather for the next day’s gadding about.

Mount Cook National Park

The day dawned with grey skies but only a slight drizzle so there was no way we were going to change our plans.  We donned our waterproofs, including trousers, and set off to explore the park which is home to New Zealand’s highest peak – yep, that Cook one at 3754m!  By the time we reached the park entrance 25kms up the road the weather had noticeably improved.  There are loads of walks to do in the park to suit all levels of fitness, ability and interest.  In fact the whole of South Island is geared towards encouraging people to get out there and see for themselves just how wondrous the scenery is.  Everywhere we went there were paths, tracks and duck boards to follow for walks that could last a matter of minutes, several hours or a number of days.  Each of these is clearly marked out, well maintained and there are information boards everywhere.  Happy days.

In Mount Cook National Park we decided on 4 short walks that would give us the greatest variety in terms of flora and geographical scenery as possible.  We began with the 1 hour Governors’ Bush Walk to experience the stunted growth of the native alpine trees and shrubs.  Many of the plants were labelled and I tried my best to extend my knowledge but fear only a couple of new plant names have stuck.  The park prides itself on being home to the world’s biggest buttercup, confusingly called the Mount Cook Lily, and a plethora of ferns.  We eventually worked out that the silver fern is the one on the All Blacks’ shirts but don’t ask me if we actually saw one or not!

Next we took in the Kea Point Walk which was a 2 hour stroll that took us closer to the mountain ranges.  At the end of the track there is a lookout point affording fantastic views of the glaciers hugging the sides of Mount Sefton.  By this point the clouds were gradually lifting and although we didn’t get to see the ridge clear in its entirety we got some great views of the peaks.  Sitting on a rock surrounded by summer flowers in a dramatic valley that had been crafted by glacial activity seemed like a good spot to enjoy a picnic.  By the time we were ready to explore the park further the sun was seriously winning the weather battle with the clouds.  Just as we were about to move on we heard rumblings from the mountains and looked up in time to see a huge chunk on ice crashing down into the valley below.  See?  I told you it was a dramatic spot!

On returning to the car park we set off in the opposite direction to enjoy the park’s most popular track the 3 hour trail up Hooker Valley to the glacier of the same name.  To enable as many people as possible to enjoy the park but to limit environmental damage to a minimum the Department of Conservation (DOC) have put a duck board path over the sensitive bog area.  Everywhere we went people were encouraged to stick to the set paths; and in all the time we spent in New Zealand we only ever saw people respecting nature, following the DOC’s polite requests and regarding suggestions.  Although the weather was now in our favour the tops were still thick with cloud and we were beginning to think we’d never set eyes on Mount Cook.  The Hooker Glacier has receded so much in recent years that we couldn’t get as close to it as anticipated but it was interesting to see mini icebergs floating down the river sporting a pale blue hue.

We were almost back at the car when we happened to turn round to take in one last view of the park to discover the tip of Mount Cook was finally out of the cloud.  In fact from that point onwards the weather was glorious but we knew we couldn’t rely on it being like that for the duration of our trip.  A few more photos were taken then we drove round to the unsealed Tasman Valley Road to achieve our last potter of the day.  This is a very short walk up a hillock to look down on the Tasman Glacier which turned out to be a disappointing grey as it was covered in about a meter of scree and other glacial rubble.  However, it was great to see a different area of the park as this valley was much wider than the steeply sided valleys we’d been walking in and towards earlier.

By the time we returned to the campsite the skies were blue and we sat at a picnic bench enjoying the views of Mount Cook – we knew which way to look now!  It was lovely to pack the waterproofs away dry but as soon as the sun started its slow descent the temperature dropped.  We were still mentally on Malaysian sunset time and kept thinking we had to have all our activities done and dusted by 7 bells.  It was such a treat to have daylight past 9pm and with us being up by 6am every morning that gave us lots of time to pack in as much as possible.  Here endeth our first foray into New Zealand’s mountainous regions and a fantastic day we’d had too.

Long drive day

A tent doesn’t provide much in the way of sound proofing so once the birds started chattering and bouncing around outside our door we got up.  It was such a joy to awake to thin, wispy clouds and the promise of another day of good weather.  Today would see us covering almost 500kms from Glentanner down to Curio Bay on the very south coast.  The internet advised us that this would take 6 ½ hours however, that doesn’t take into account all the times you have to stop to gawp at the scenery.  Not to mention finding somewhere so the driver (Steve) can get a much needed brew and pop into one or two interesting sounding places along the way that the navigator (Emma) has discovered.

First stop was Cromwell or more specifically Old Cromwell which is set on another of those attractive lakes.  In fact the lake was formed following the installation of a hydro-electric scheme in the area and the old village was due to be submerged.  Instead of letting that happen the old buildings were painstakingly rescued and then rebuilt to form a tourist attraction.  It sounds like it should be tacky but it isn’t and in fact has been very nicely done although none of the buildings function as they would have done originally.

Back on the road we took a slight detour through Clyde which looked like a nice enough little place.  We didn’t stop as really we just wanted to find out if the Clutha River really was emerald green and yes it was.  I have to hand it to the New Zealander’s they say it as it is and don’t try to over egg the pudding as it were.  We needed another strategic brew and loo stop and I’d spotted a place called Alexandra and declared we just had to have a look.  For those of you who don’t know one of my nieces goes by the very same name so how could I not pop in?  Following way too many distractions it was time to eat up some kilometres and get ourselves down to the Catlins coast.

There was still one more detour before we would reach Curio Bay and that was down a narrow, twisting road to Nugget Point.  Here the land comes to an abrupt and dramatic end – the vertical cliffs plummet into the sea and the waves crash against the rock formations in the ocean.  The short walk up to the lighthouse was somewhat blustery and it certainly invigorated us after a long drive.  We weren’t just here for the breathtaking views – oh no!  My information had promised wildlife too.  On carefully peering over the edge we looked down upon large colonies of various seabirds.  Oh how we wished we’d remembered to pack the binoculars but we are sure that we saw a roost of spoonbills.  One thing’s for certain sure there were New Zealand fur seals down there basking on the rocks.  Another track led us down a not quite so vertical cliff face to a viewing hide.  From here we had the chance to spot one of the world’s rarest birds – according to the information boards there are only 18 pairs nesting in the area.  Really it was the wrong time of day but luck was on our side as a yellow-eyed penguin put in a very timely appearance.

Time was now pressing so we headed on to Curio Bay without allowing ourselves any further distractions.  Easier said than done I can tell you!

Curio Bay

This basically consists of a row of houses and cottages facing out to see with a caravan park on the headland.  It took seconds to locate Lazy Dolphin Backpackers where we were warmly greeted and given a tour of our room and the shared facilities.  To be honest it felt much more like a holiday chalet and we instantly felt very at home there and regretted that we’d only be there that night.  Since we were at the seaside fish and chips (or fush and chups as the locals amusingly say) supper seemed to be in order – in fact it was that or nothing.  There are no restaurants or cafes in the area but one enterprisingly lady has converted a caravan into a chippy.  There’s something special about facing out to sea following a long yet spectacular day’s drive tucking into a bag of chips.

Once sated, we toddled off down the road to see if we could spot another local inhabitant.  I’m sure you’ll have already guessed that this port of call carries on with the wildlife theme.  In fact this whole detour was my suggestion as Steve had originally planned a night in Dunedin and pay for a tour round the Otago Peninsular.  I’d spotted this area where the animals come out for free.  We’re certainly not averse to paying for tours and the like but the cost of the trip was steadily rising and this gave us the perfect excuse to see more of the coastline.

On reaching Curio Bay’s headland we weren’t the first to take up position on the viewing platform.  Again there were information boards and again people were following the suggestions and giving the wildlife the space they need and the respect they deserve.  We went down a little earlier than the suggested time as we wanted to see the fossilised forest too.  You have to look carefully but in among the rocks are fossilised tree trunks and stumps.  Back up on the platform we waited to see if any more yellow-eyed penguins would show themselves that day.  Sure enough one sprang out of the ocean and began the long hop and waddle over the rocky shore to its nest.  We were there when the adults were feeding the chicks so there was quite a lot of activity.  In the end we saw 6 penguins and counted ourselves very fortunate on finding out there are only 8 pairs in the area.  Figures like that make you realise just how rare and vulnerable many of the world’s creatures are.

It had been a long, long day but extremely enjoyable.  The next morning we went for a stroll along the beach and up to the headland in the bracing wind.  The locals kept asking us if we were going for a dip in the ocean – it was freezing.  We had fleeces, coats, hats and gloves on – did we look like we were set for a swim?!  Steve was disappointed as he’d packed his swimming shorts especially for such an occasion – to swim in the ocean at the most southerly point we’d possibly ever visit.  It didn’t happen and the dolphins didn’t swim by as promised either.  There was no way the lack of dip or dolphins marred our enjoyment and in fact we were still regretting the fact that we were set to move on so soon. 

 

 

Curio Bay to Te Anau

From Curio Bay we followed the Southern Scenic route again around the coast and then up and inland past the massive Fiordland National Park.  Once again it wasn’t a case of going from A to B with the first detour leading us to Waipapa Point lighthouse; a rugged headland with a brisk breeze blowing across it.  We’d hoped to spy something interesting on the rocks or beach below and were thrilled to see a round head bobbing about in the waves.  Before long the rest of the creature was in full view laboriously hauling its blubberous body ashore.  Our first sighting of a sea lion and one that was happy to share the beach with humans.  Again people had obviously read the information boards and were happy to give the animal the space advised.  This still allowed us to get close enough for a good peer at him and of course take that all important photo.  A couple of clowns edged nearer than Mr C Lion was happy with but he soon made his feelings known and they wisely retreated.  Not a bad start to the day hey?

We pootled along until we found ourselves on the edge of Invercargill – the biggest town we’d been near since leaving the airport.  There were chores to be done; well fill up with petrol and fill the boot with more provisions.  We didn’t hang around as we were here for the mountains, lakes, cliffs and all those other natural features not shops.  My travel literature had suggested that picnicking at Mc Krackens Point would be a shrewd move so we decided to follow their advice.  This was indeed a most scenic spot with tremendous views up and down the impressive coastline.  We were atop a blustery bluff and the wind was so powerful we had to eat our butties in the car!

Soon afterwards the road left the coast and turned north where we followed the edge of the Fiordlands.  A third of New Zealand is protected with reserve and national park status with this one being the biggest at 1.2 million hectares.  Now I can’t really envisage something, that’s just numbers to me, but I can tell you it was proper big!  Much of it is inaccessible but the small area that is reachable consists of mountains, lakes, tarns, waterfalls, forests, fiords and heaps of trekking; or tramping as they like to call it in this part of the world.  Even though the highest peaks were under 2000m they still had pockets of snow clinging on.  See – I told you it wasn’t summer!

Te Anau

Although we’d managed to make the 3hr 40min drive take double that time we still had a couple of hours of daylight to pitch the tent and enjoy our first foray into shorts and sandals.  Yes the summer sun was finally shining and giving off warm rays.  Steve, still disappointed that he’d not had a holiday swim yet, popped his swimming shorts on and we wandered down to the lakeshore.  Oh I forgot to tell you; Te Anau is another of New Zealand’s pretty little towns set on the banks of a fine-looking, peak and crag lined lake.  We’d set up camp in Te Anau Lake View Holiday Park that was busier than other places but there was still plenty of room and very good facilities.  In fact the fridges were so efficient that they froze my lettuce and cucumber but at least that evening’s well earned beer cooled down a treat!

Meanwhile back on the lake shore – Steve gingerly entered the clear, clean shallows and ventured as far as his ankles.  It was very shallow for quite a long way so he’d have to pick his way over the pebbles for some time before he could take a plunge.  He sensibly returned to our picnic bench and stuck his feet in a patch of sun to warm up.  I did point out the folly of packing his beach gear back in KL but I was overruled!

Fiordland National Park

In theory, the drive from Te Anau to Milford Sound takes 3 hours but you already know that it took us much longer than that!  In fact this was a researched and planned day of distractions but we did have to keep in mind an appointment with a boat at 3.45pm.  We were up with the tui (a noisy indigenous bird that lends its name to one of New Zealand’s tastiest beers) and on the road well ahead of the bus, van and car load of tourists that visit this area on a day trip from Queenstown.  Our first stop was Mirror Lakes; a small sheltered body of water that actually does as it says.  The surface of the water was so smooth that the mountain and plant reflections were almost perfect.  The only ripples were caused by the local scaup ducks dabbling for their breakfast.  A wow moment so early in the morning bode well for the rest of the day.  Next, we stopped at The Divide and parked up so we could take in the 3 hour return walk to Key Summit.  It was chilly when we set off but we soon warmed up as we sauntered our way up the zig zag path.  About two thirds of the way up we left the tall beech tree forests and entered a world of stunted alpine forests.  These are actually the same species but the winter conditions are so harsh, even at relatively low elevations, that the plants grow substantially more slowly.  Key Summit only stands at around 1300m but the 360o views of mountain range after mountain range are outstanding.

At the top there is a 30min self-guided alpine walk with a slight detour to a lookout point – although the views were stunning from every angle.  The self-guided walk comprises of grabbing yourself a laminated, double-sided A4 information card and reading each of the 8 sections as you come across the number post.  It was a great way to find out more about how glaciers had carved out the landscape, and also gave us an insight into the historical use of the area along with information about the special plants.  It was just enough information to make it interesting without being technical or too detailed.  I thought it was an inspired idea and loved the fact that you popped the card back into the box for the next person to enjoy. 

Back at the car park we could hear loud squawking and were determined to find out which feathered friend was responsible.  It turned out to be the indigenous kaka that I later learned had only recently been reintroduced to the area.  I’ve made a point of naming specific birds as the country has a huge problem with invasive species killing off the native wildlife.  Many of the birds were introduced from Europe in the 1860’s and don’t appear to cause to much upset to the natural balance.  However, the mammals that have been introduced over the years have wreaked havoc; with the European stoat and Australian possum being enemy number 1 to wildlife and trees respectively. 

Back on the road we continued on to Homer’s Tunnel which is over a kilometre long and cuts directly through an ice-clad mountain range.  The tunnel is only single carriage-way and the lights had just changed to red as we approached.  So, knowing that we had 15mins before the green would be illuminated, we parked up and went to play in the snow.  It felt like we’d stumbled into a black and white photograph as all we could see were rocks, crags, scree, snow, ice and waterfalls.  Shortly after emerging from the tunnel into Cleddau Valley we stopped at The Chasm for our picnic.  However, and unusually, there were no picnic benches and it dawned on us that we’d not seen any picnic sites all day.  Anyway, we strolled down the short track to have a look at this powerful waterfall that has carved some manmade looking features into the narrow gorge over the years, got back in the car and carried on.

Last stop – Milford Sound were we bagged a picnic bench on the water’s edge and hungrily tucked in whilst looking up at the imposing mountains.  Against the odds we were ahead of schedule so had time to take in the lakeshore walk before heading down to the jetty.  By 3.45pm we were aboard one of Southern Discoveries vessels and cruising into the sound or fiord as it technically should be called.  Another geography lesson ensued and I couldn’t help thinking that if only lessons at school had been so interesting I might not have scored an unclassified for O level geography!  As interesting and educational as the commentary was we didn’t hang to every word as we too busy being amazed by the wonderful scenery around us.  The mountain sides literally plunged straight into the water and we saw natural landslides and tree-slides, remarkable rock formations and impressive waterfalls.  Dotted here and there were fur seals resting in any accessible space; they may be graceful in the water but are very cumbersome on land.  The cliff sides are so sheer that there weren’t very many places that were suitable for them to haul out of the water.  We’d not been going long when I spotted a small pod of dolphins in our wake but since no-one else saw them I’m not sure which species they were.  The cruise hugged one side of the fiord on the way out and didn’t turn round until we’d reach the mouth of the sound and was about to enter the Tasman Sea.  The next chunk of land reached would be Tasmania.  We returned along the other side of the water where there was a clump of rocks for a sizeable colony of fur seals to have congregated.  Even then some of them didn’t look particularly comfortable!

The waterfalls on this side of the fiord were more impressive and in fact we got close enough to one to get wet.  Usually I would have been indoors keeping dry but I had my coat on so enjoyed the spray.  We were almost back to dock when a largish pod of dusky dolphins started putting on a display for us.  They were leaping and spinning about, playing in our wake and generally have great fun.  Apparently they are pretty rare and the crew reckon they only see them in the area a couple of times a year.  What a brilliant end to what had been another incredible day.

Obviously the day wasn’t quite over as we had to drive all the way back to Te Anau but it was such a spectacular drive that we certainly weren’t complaining.  On approaching Te Anau we encountered a few showers so had a slightly soggy evening in the campsite.  We could only hope the weather wouldn’t deteriorate over night as we were starting the 3-day Kepler Track the following morning.

The Kepler Track

Day 1

We woke up to clouds and the temperature had dropped noticeably again but at least it was dry.  Mind you we weren’t taking any chances so put our waterproofs on – we’d read that you had to expect at least 1 day of rain when doing any of the longer treks.  With everything we needed for the trek sorted out, the tent packed away and the car stored in the campsites’ car park it was time to get to the visitors centre and register for the trek.  As with everything we’d pre-booked our details were quickly found on the computer and we were good to go.  Hang on – the service is so good that before we went any further the lady gave us extra information that we might need and a handy map.  That meant that we knew where to find the start of the trail which is often the first stumbling block in Asia(!) and were told that the long term forecast was good.  Last but by no means least we were given a plastic rubbish sack each and were told – you pack it in, you pack it out.  Now obviously we would have done this anyway but I love the way they not only request this of you but provide the means to do so too. 

Anyway, let’s get trekking.  It took us about 45mins to reach the control gate and the start of the trek proper.  We’d both read this and expected a check point but it turned out to be the sluice gate for the dam!  It then took just over an hour walking through beech forest along the lakeshore to reach Brod Bay camp.  Along with asking you to not litter you’re requested not to toilet wherever the fancy takes you.  To encourage compliance with this facilities are provided at regular intervals and significant places; with all of them better than most Malaysian restaurants.  Despite having kept the amount we were carrying down to a minimum the packs were heavy.  We’re not used to having to carry our own gear which included; clothes for wet and cold conditions, sleeping bags, all our food for 3 days, pots, pans and other cooking utensils.  We predicted we’d be slow to reach the first hut.

Our leaflet said we would find a limestone bluff about 2hrs into the walk and suggested this would be a good place to take a break and have lunch.  From there it was to be another hour to the top of the tree line and only 45mins across the ridge to the hut.  So we plodded on up through the beech forest knowing that once we were out of the trees we’d ascended about 1000m.  Steve gave a call when 2 hours were up but we carried on for a few minutes more as we could see the edge of the forest.  Hmm – so that big rock thing that we passed way back was the lunch stop bluff then?  More like elevenses!  Anyway it was a joy to realise that despite not being particularly fit and carrying the heavy bags we were making great progress.  The sun was shining, the skies were blue so we found a rock and perched on it looking down into the valley we’d left only a couple of hours ago.

We weren’t the only ones to find ourselves up there sooner than expected so we got to meet some of our fellow hutters before ever clapping eyes on the establishment.  The sign said we only had another 45mins to go so we hung around enjoying the sunshine and vistas.  The walk along the ridge was wonderful as there were fabulous views both sides of us.  On one side we could see back down to Lake Te Anau and on the other we were peering at the Murchison Mountains.  Just to round it all off we had the Kepler Mountains ahead of us that slope off into Lake Manapouri.

Luxemore Hut turned out to be fabulous and for us it really was luxury trekking – the facilities were better than many backpackers places we’ve been in.  There were flush toilets with loo roll provided – we’ve been on treks where there hasn’t even been a loo!  It wasn’t the cheapest accommodation of the trip at NZ$50 a night per person but we were in by far and away the best trekking hut we’d ever seen.  In total the trek worked out at about RM600 so very good value compared to other activities in New Zealand and what activities can cost in Asia. 

It was warm enough to sit out on the decking and enjoy the peace and quiet whilst sucking in clean, fresh air.  It was interesting finding out how long other people were taking to do the trek and since you have to pre-book the accommodation it’s very difficult to change your plans en route.  The trek is billed as a 4-dayer but on looking at it in more detail we knew we’d be able to do it in 3.  A few people were more pushed for time so were haring around in 2 days.  This is very doable if you’re prepared to walk 30kms a day, not have time to take in the views and hope the weather goes in your favour.

Day 2

Although we were sleeping at the highest elevation of the trip at 1047m we were the warmest through the night than we’d been all holiday!  It resulted in a pretty good night’s sleep but our full bladders and loud snoring had us up early.  The good news was we caught a beautiful sunrise looking down on the clouds enveloping the lake below.  There were still stars twinkling and it looked like the day would bright and sunny – it certainly was, with the good weather lasting all day.

We were in no rush as we knew we had more than enough to time to reach the next hut before nightfall.  In fact starting breakfast was waylaid by the appearance of a kea.  In our hut talk the previous evening we’d been told that these cheeky alpine parrots love to investigate what humans bring into their territory.  This curiosity then leads on to theft and many a sock or boot has gone walkabout in the night!  They really are the macaque of the bird world – or the mountain clown as they’re affectionately referred to here.  This fella was just as inquisitive and potentially destructive as we’d been led to believe.  They’re quite big with strong claws and a very powerful beak – this one thought nothing of trying to tuck into the picnic bench!  He was very curious and came within feet of us for a closer look but we never felt he would attack.  In the end I went into the kitchen to start breakfast leaving Steve taking photos.  The kea spotted me busying about so came over to the window ledge to see what I was up to.  At one point we were face to face only inches apart and with merely a layer of glass separating us.  It’s not every day you have a one-to-one with a wild creature!  He soon got tired of his antics and flew off to find a new game to play.

Following a leisurely breakfast we packed up and started day 2 of the trek.  We dispensed with the waterproofs feeling confident that we’d made the right choice.  As I have said the weather was glorious all day and it was great to know we had plenty of time to take as many photos as we felt like.  The trek timings proved to be more accurate today so we think that they assume everyone will be slow going up but find the potter along the ridge easy going.  This first section of the track gradually climbed up to Luxemore Mountain and in fact we’d virtually circumnavigated the peak before finding the side track that would lead us to the top.  It’s only a half hour detour and who are we to refuse a mountain summit.  Granted it’s not the highest we’ve conquered at a mere 1478m but the 360o views of mountains, valleys and lakes were exceptional. Blue skies, patches of pristine snow and the summer plants in full bloom added to the colourful scene.

The next section of the track undulated along the ridge to Forest Burn Shelter (1270m) and from there we crossed what they call The Saddle.  Basically the path goes along the top edge of an arête with amazing views looking down the steeply sided valleys on both sides.  This section of the path climbed and descended more than we’d anticipated but nothing too strenuous.  By the time we reached the Hanging Valley emergency shelter we were back up to 1390m.  Both of these shelters had toilet facilities and we just couldn’t decide which won the loo with a view prize!  In fact the views were so splendid that we decided to take a break – it didn’t last long as the sand flies were most maddening.  They proved to be the first thing we’d found to moan about in New Zealand!

From here we could see the route continued following the ridge until it struck off down to the tree line and into the valley 1000m below.  Before leaving the crest of the mountain side we took advantage of a 5min detour to another lookout point.  Finally it was time to say goodbye to the mountain peaks and re-enter the world of moss and lichen- clad beech trees.  The path descended steeply down through the forest in a zig zag fashion making it a reasonably gentle on the legs.  We’d been going a while when we happened upon a stream so thought we must be nearing the bottom; however, the view from the bridge told us otherwise.  Even though we’d lost those sublime views the walk through the forest was most enjoyable and we had the compensation of bird song all around us.  We realised it had been almost eerily still and quiet on the tops so it was good to see some feathered friends flitting about.  In fact a couple of them perched long enough for us to get a fighting chance of identifying them and even the odd photo.

It wasn’t long before we reached Iris Burn Hut and it turned out we were the first to arrive so had the pick of the bunks.  This hut is smaller than Luxemore and hasn’t been extended and modernized as yet but it was still excellent.  The warden proved to be very informative and she told us about the kiwis that live in the area.  Being very, very shy and nocturnal not many people have actually seen this strange bird.  However, she let us listen to a recording of their calls should we hear one through the night and want to know if it was worth getting up to investigate or not.  Unfortunately there were none around when we were there.  Throughout the day we’d only passed a couple of people and had relished enjoying the summit and rest stops in peace.  We made and brew and sat out on the porch to enjoy the peace and quiet before other trekkers appeared.  We quickly retreated indoors on being ravaged by a swarm of those pesky sand flies.  We soon worked out that indoors or staying on the move is the only way to get rid of them.  So first we went for a wander across the clearing to look at the river where yet again people seemed to think that no one could possibly resist a dip.  Yes it’s crisp, clear water did look inviting but dipping one’s finger in soon revealed just how foolish a move getting any wetter would be!  We then sauntered along a river track going upstream towards a waterfall.  This was an easy 20min plod ending near some pretty little falls but as soon as we stopped to take a photo the buzzing buggers moved in for a munch!

We were first to crawl into our sleeping bags that night as we were going to be first up the following morning.  We knew we had a long walk ahead so and needed to be on our way by 6am.

Day 3

For some reason we both slept poorly even though the hut was just as comfy as the previous one.  Never mind we were up at 5am and on the track again by 6 bells just as we’d promised ourselves.  The sun was rising and casting wonderful colours on the snow capped peaks but we only got a glance as the track plunged straight into the forest. We knew we had plenty of daylight hours for this longest section of the trek but hoped to get back to town in plenty of time to check out the local hostelry.  We had 35kms, therefore, just over half the 60km trek to complete that day so for once I was allowed to go in front.  In fact Steve requested that I set the pace; so I did – 5kms/hr!  That might not sound too swift but believe me it’s fast enough while lugging all your goods and chattels around.

The path meandered its way through the forest roughly following the course of the river until it reached Moturau Hut on the shore of Lake Manapouri.  We reached there in good time so only took a short break then pressed on.  The path then hugged the edge of the lake to Rainbow Reach which is a place where you can leave the track and catch the shuttle bus back to Te Anau.  However, we’d made such good progress that we knew we could walk back to town before the bus ever put in an appearance.  From the reach we followed the river back down to the control gate.  By this point we were feeling quite weary and the last couple of kilometres back to the campsite seemed exhausting.

Still, we did it and in fact got back to the campsite 2 hours ahead of our already ambitious schedule.  That gave us plenty of time to sort ourselves out and grab a well earned beer from the fridge.  We’d upgraded ourselves and had a little cabin for the night so got to sleep in a proper bed for the first time in a number of nights.  As soon as we were rested and refreshed we creaked our way along Lake Te Anau’s shoreline to the Moose Pub.  The food might have been a little on the pricey side but it was worth every cent.  A pleasant end to one of the best treks we’ve ever done.  Now we know we were extremely lucky with the weather making the views dazzling but more than anything we loved the fact that we didn’t need a guide.

 

 

Another drive and sight-seeing day

We were once again up with the tuis despite having supped a couple of his liquid cousins the night before and ready to move on.  It was Christmas Eve so the first stop was to fill the tank, stock up on tasty treats and raid the offy!  With that duly done we headed off towards Queenstown – the adrenalin capital of the world.  We had thought about spending Christmas here as we knew there’d be loads happening but then remembered that we’re much better at being anti-social!  To be fair it’s a nice town, set on a lake with mountains in the background.  You’ve got it – the norm for this part of the world!  To be honest it was a bit too touristy for our liking and way too busy with people wearing santa hats and all that nonsense.  We hung around long enough to relieve the outdoor shops of any merino wool trekking products they had in the sale and carried on.

The next port of call was Arrowtown - a very twee, picturesque little place.  I have to say that to us it all felt a bit too contrived and that we’d entered into a stage set.  Very pleasant though and we were glad we’d popped in to have a look.  We carried along the Crown Range scenic route and it was as truly splendid as all the other roads we’d been on.  It wasn’t long before we reached Wanaka and our base for Christmas.

Wanaka

Wanaka is set on the shores of Lake Wanaka and ......................... – you know the rest of the sentence!  Steve had done us proud and found an affordable treat for Christmas.  We checked into Wanaka Bakpaka’s best room – a private, en-suite double with balcony and garden area over-looking the lake with a mountainous backdrop.  Wanaka is a lovely little place with just enough on offer without too much and everywhere is within easy walking distance.  Obviously most of the shops had shut up early (24th Dec) and wouldn’t be open for the next couple of days.  Although we were self sufficient in terms of food and booze we just had to go and check out the pub ( The Wanaka Ale House) we’d seen as we drove through town.  It was as welcoming as we’d hoped and it was great to sit and watch the world go by, set in amongst fabulous scenery.

In the end we wished we’d eaten out that night too as the food being served up looked superb.  On returning to the backpackers we were dismayed to find a frantically busy kitchen.  Most of the people staying there were European so were preparing their festive fayre that evening.  We eventually found a shelf in the oven for our pizza but became impatient and didn’t cook it properly.  Not the best way to end another great day but at least we knew the kitchen would be quieter the following day when we would want more space.

The following morning we were virtually first up so had no problem preparing our bacon butties and eating them in peace on OUR balcony under bright blue skies!  Smashing and a great start to Christmas Day.

 

Rob Roy Glacier

We drove to Mount Aspiring National Park along a road that was unsealed for most of the way.  It only took an hour even though we were being very careful in our little Getz.  The bigger cars negotiated the cattle grids and fords easily but we had to gently crawl over these obstacles.  Even on this short journey we made a stop!  We happened upon a lovely little pond and the weather was perfectly still so we got some great pictures of the mountains reflected on the water’s surface.  At the end of the road is a little car park and the start of the 3hr return track to Rob Roy Glacier.  We were surprised how many cars were already there.  Actually not that surprised to find that lots of other people had thought this was a good activity for Christmas Day too.  We were all proved to have made a top choice as the walk was fantastic all the way with the added bonus of a glacier at the end.  We weren’t anywhere near close enough to be able to touch the said lump of ice but we’d expected it to be much higher up the mountain and the mountain side itself more distant.  We’d had such a great day that I ended up getting all poetic –here’s what I came up with to describe the day:

  • Rolling flower studded meadows
  • Perfect reflections with frog chorus acoustics
  • Glistening glacial roaring river
  • Fern and moss carpeted wooded glades
  • Precarious precipices with the risk of rock-fall
  • Cascading waterfalls evaporating in mid-flow
  • Gleaming ice blue glaciers
  • Jagged jutting granite peaks
  • With the lower ridges swathed in autumnal oranges and browns dotted with sheep, cows and deer

Aren’t you glad I don’t usually gush on in this fashion?!  One last phrase to round off – wonderful Wanaka with its luscious lakeside setting.  My prose isn’t good enough to explain to you just how smitten we were with the area and the list above is factual not flowery.  I told you we’d enjoyed our day and we were both very taken with Wanaka.  To the point where we had a little peep in the estate agents but it was all way beyond our means. 

We spent the afternoon tucking into our Christmas snacks whilst sipping a bottle of fizz.  We then decided it would be prudent to walk off some of that lot before preparing the evening meal.  We took the lakeside path, going away from town, and passed many a group tucking into a posh picnics accompanied by an ice-box full of beer and wine.  If you’re going to have Christmas al fresco you’d be hard pushed to find a better spot.  On returning to our digs it was our turn to rustle up some tasty scran and enjoy the New Zealand beer and wine that we’d treated ourselves to.  As night fell the stars came out and there were literally millions of them twinkling away.  What can I say?  Another outstanding day. 

Unfortunately we’d only booked the room for 2 nights so the next morning saw us reluctantly packing up and moving on.  Mind you we soon cheered up on remembering that this wasn’t the end of the holiday and we still had a couple of activities lined up.  Today was a relatively short driving day but of course we got distracted along the way.  There was no way we were going to get from A to B in only 4 hours!  As we neared Mount Cook National Park once again (but this time we were the other side of the mountains) we stopped to look at Lake Matheson.

As with all places of interest in New Zealand there were lots of information boards and a track for you to follow.  This was only a short 1hr potter to see Mount Cook reflected in the surface of this lake – or so the postcards reckoned.  Mount Cook was proving to be illusive again and there were wisps of clouds hovering over the highest peaks.  Luckily there was enough of a breeze to clear the tops but that same breeze was rippling the surface of the lake so we never got that perfect picture postcard reflection image.  Still it was a lovely spot and well worth an extra hour on our journey.

Franz Joseph

A mere 25kms later and we were pulling into the Top 10 Campsite just the other side of Franz Joseph.  We bagged a picnic bench by pitching the tent right next to it(!) and were delighted to find we had mountain views too.  The weather was still superb with barely a cloud in the sky so we wandered into town to enquire about helicopter rides.  Within 5mins of being in town we’d booked and paid for a 7pm, 30min flight that included a snow landing.  So the walk to a glacier we had pencilled in had to be knocked on the head.  Not that we cared as we were going to get much closer this way at the same time as fulfilling one of our lifelong ambitions.

The helicopters turned out to be not much more than an over-grown toy and can only fit 4 people plus the pilot at a squeeze.  We hadn’t expected to be right in the front – I was sandwiched between Steve and the pilot with the control panel directly in front of me.  I managed to resist the overwhelming urge to fiddle with dials and flick switches!  The helicopter design was excellent as it was basically a bubble with a tail, skies and rotor blades giving us fantastic views including being able to look out between your feet.  Steve was a little apprehensive with the sudden, direct and tipping take-off but I was in my element.  As we climbed and the views became increasingly more dramatic I could feel Steve relax into the experience and begin to enjoy it.

Following take off we glanced over the tree tops towards the town of Fox Glacier where we got a bonus landing and take-off as we had to pick up another couple.  Once we were all buckled in with head-sets on it was time for the real fun to begin and get into those marvellous mountains.  The pilot was incredibly knowledgeable of the area and told us all about what we were looking at and some of its recent history.  It was interesting to learn how the glaciers and grown and retreated and being up there gave us a good sense of scale and just how dramatically active Mother Nature can be.  My favourite story was hearing that Mount Cook used to be 30m higher but one day a huge chunk fell off the top.  Fortunately no one was hurt but some climbers staying in a hut high up on a nearby ridge witnessed the whole thing.  Incredible.

The first part of the flight saw us weaving our way up the valley containing Fox Glacier where we got so close that you could clearly see the cracks and crevasses.  We feel we managed to get some decent photos even though we were shooting through glass.  The colours were all in sharp contrast to each other with dark grey crags, pristine white snow and deep blue skies – just the weather we’d been hoping to get to make forking out NZ$550 worthwhile.  Our little copter then scooted around the uppermost razor sharp edges to give us sensational views of Mount Cook and his friend Mount Tasman.  Our pilot was excellent at holding the vehicle in a hover so we could admire and take photos to our hearts content.  Next he banked round and found a suitable patch of snow to land on.

We’d been told that we could have about 5-10mins on the snow but in actual fact we were out there for more like 20mins.  Unbeknownst to us we’d booked the last flight of the day and our pilot was feeling talkative and was more than happy to share in our bewilderment and exhilaration of the experience.  We were probably standing at about 3000m, now obviously we’ve been much higher, but the thrill of zipping up there barely missing the needle sharp peaks takes some beating.  It usually takes us days to reach these heights but on this occasion we’d been whisked up there in a matter of minutes.  We’d chosen, quite by accident, a perfect time to go up as the sun was beginning its slow descent towards the Tasman Sea casting shadows and giving the snow a warm glow.  After about 20mins we were all starting to feel a tad chilly, well we were only in t-shirts, so climbed aboard ready for the descent.

This time we were in the back of the helicopter but that didn’t mean the views were diminished.  It was now time to get up close and personal with the even more impressive Franz Joseph Glacier.  We swooped down over the ridge and hovered around particularly photogenic spots with the pilot doing pirouettes so we could all try and get that perfect shot.  I couldn’t stop grinning and wanted to stay up there for hours but it was time to get back down to the valley floor.  Our little machine buzzed back down the remainder of the glacier, skimmed over the forests, followed the river and gently plonked itself down on the landing pad.  It may have been an incredibly expensive way to spend half an hour of your life but we felt it was worth every dollar.  In actual fact the trip lasted a total of 50mins so we thought we got very good value for money and the experience lived up to all the advertising hype and then some.  How can you put a price on such an elating, dazzling, spectacular experience?  The ultimate holiday highlight.

Fox Glacier

I woke up still marvelling over the helicopter ride but slightly worried that other activities simply would fail in comparison.  We told ourselves that it had been such a unique experience that it wouldn’t be fair to even try to compare other things with it.  So we hopped in the car and drove back down to Fox Glacier (town) for our full day guided walk on Fox Glacier (icy thing).  We were given our ‘boarding passes’ and were asked to move through to the boot room for gear and a team talk.  Obviously our boots etc were up to scratch but we enjoyed watching others trying to find something comfy.  One girl had clearly never worn boots in her life and there was me worried that I’d make a fool of myself when it came to the crampon wearing section.  So, feeling very relaxed we allowed ourselves to be herded onto the shuttle bus and were ready to go with the flow.

A mere 10mins later, we were split into 2 groups of 12 and were finally ready to get walking.  You are only allowed to walk on the glacier as part of a guided tour and we’d booked ourselves onto the full day walk to ensure we got as much out of the day as possible.  The walk started in the vegetation running along the edge of the valley where we steadily climbed up and over a bluff.  As with all the paths we’d been on this was very well maintained and for us the safety talks seemed a little over the top.  If they really think that is potentially dangerous then they want to try a tamer mountain setting in Asia where absolutely no safety precautions are taken!  As we dropped down off the bluff we reached the rocky edge of the glacier and into crampon wearing territory.  These were mini affairs that fit snugly in the middle of the soul of your boot and were very user friendly.

This was it – we were finally on the glacier where we steadily walked up it.  Throughout the walk we were provided with lots of information about glaciation and facts that were specific to the glacier of the area and of course the one we were standing on.  Along the way specific features were pointed out and they allowed plenty of time for everyone to take those all important photos.  We climbed much further up the glacier than we could ever have hoped for and it was wonderful sitting on a rock looking back down tucking into our picnic.  By this point we were about half way up the lower section and were delighted to hear we were going to be going higher.  In fact we reached the foot of the ice falls section that marks the beginning of the middle section of the glacier.  Above that, and out of sight, is the third and final section where the mass of snow accumulates and is gradually compressed to form the glacier.  We were amazed to hear that the glacier moves at a rate of 3m per day and that several meters below where we were standing the ice is viscous and very mobile.  The crevasses and ice walls are obviously substantially bigger in this section and in fact some people were using them to learn how to use ice climbing equipment.

We obviously weren’t allowed to go any higher and in fact it was time to retrace our steps.  There hadn’t been enough walking for our liking but we’d thoroughly enjoyed our day and feel very lucky to have had yet another fantastic experience.  We spent that evening supping a couple of pints gazing at the mountains as the following morning we were on the move again and coastward bound.

Drive Day 500kms coast to coast

By the time we were ready to set off for the final leg of our journey the weather had turned – we woke to grey skies and a hint of drizzle in the air.  To be honest we’d expected grey skies and rain every other day so the weather breaking at this late stage couldn’t dampen our spirits.  We knew we had a long drive ahead of us but of course had researched some suitable stopping off points along the way.  The first stop was my request as I’d heard that Hokitika had lots of good jewellery shops.  Steve was relieved to discover that the items on offer weren’t to my taste, not just what I was after or way too expensive!  We also popped in to have a little gander at Reefton which turned out to be a nice little place that has avoided the twee-ness of Arrowtown.

Our route took us over the inconsequential Lewis Pass but as we dropped down the other side we spotted a cracking place to take a break.  One of New Zealand’s numerous treks starts from here but there are also shorter walks in the area.  Obviously we weren’t in the market for those but we did enjoy the 20min potter along a walkway surrounded by alpine vegetation.  There was also a pretty little lake near the car park so once again we enjoyed our butties in the great outdoors.  By the time we dropped down towards Kaikoura the sun was peeping through.

Kaikoura

Unfortunately this turned out to be our least favourite place – to be fair it wasn’t the town’s fault that the campsite wasn’t the best or that the weather made a turn for the worse.  Alpine Pacific Campsite turned out to be the first place to allocate us a spot for our tent.  We soon understood why on finding out just how many tents, caravans and motorhomes they were trying to squeeze in.  The motorised vehicles looked like they were stationed in a car park not there for family fun and excursions.  It was way too family orientated for us but I suppose that goes with the territory when in a seaside town during peak holiday season.  So why were we there?  Animals of course!

We’d pre-booked ourselves onto a whale watching tour and it was just as well we had as they were turning people away.  As with the glacier tour it wasn’t simply a case of turning up and getting on a boat – oh no!  First we had to ‘check in’ well before the tour would start – oh look, they happen to have a souvenir shop and cafe!  Obviously we weren’t fooled into buying expensive knick-knacks and wandered outside to taking in the bracing sea air.  We were very glad we did as a pod of dusky dolphins appeared on the horizon and swam and leapt across the bay in front of us.  We were mustered back inside where we had to watch a video which to be fair was informative and included some lovely footage of whales and other marines creatures.  Then we had to board a shuttle bus to get to the boat and finally we were on board and ready to go.  Hang on a minute – we have to go through all the elaborate safety procedures and boat rules.  Right – now can we go?!  To be honest for once we weren’t sure the trip had been worth the substantial sum of dollars we’d parted with and it definitely wasn’t our best whale watching experience.  Marissa in Sri Lanka wins that prize in case you’re wondering.

On the positive side the crew were excellent and the running commentary was very informative with the staff obviously understanding these magnificent animals keenly.  Not only were they good at spotting the whale’s water spurts from a distance they could read their behaviour incredibly well.  To the extent that they told you, with minutes to spare, when the whale was ready to take a deep dive and give you a fighting chance of watching the fluke disappearing below the waves.  We were very lucky and got to watch 4 sperm whales on the surface taking in more air and then plunging into their deep feeding dive.  I also saw 2 more flukes disappearing but they were in the distance and I happened to hit lucky that I was gazing in the right direction.  It’s great to know that the resident population is healthy there and that tours like this will help to preserve them.  As we were bobbing along a number of birds joined us some of them were huge petrels and others even bigger albatrosses.  I’d hoped to see that latter as they really are magnificent – best of all we saw two different species.  As we neared the shoreline the boat took a detour to a rocky outcrop so we could admire a colony of fur seals and spot smaller sea birds feeding too.

Our food stores were depleted and with only one day to go it gave us the perfect opportunity to treat ourselves to a posh lunch.  We’d read about the Pier Hotel and it sounded right up our street – however, we didn’t realise it was at the opposite end of Kaikoura’s very long bay!  So a good hour’s walk later and we finally found the place – just in time as they were only serving lunch for another 15mins.  Unfortunately it was now raining so we had to sit inside – there were big water front windows so we watched the rain bouncing down.  It would have been way too tempting to have allowed ourselves to be ‘trapped in the pub’ but we still had one more activity on our itinerary.

The Peninsular Walkway does just what it says and on hindsight we thought walking along cliff tops ought to be a blustery experience.  Even though it was damp and breezy we thoroughly enjoyed the walk.  Not far from the pub we spotted a seal lounging around on the manmade sea wall.  We’d seen pictures of them flaked out in a car park but hadn’t believed until then that they really would choose to rest so close to people.  To be fair the seals would have been hauling themselves out of the ocean along those shores long before we humans put in an appearance.  It was nice to see one up close but I preferred another section of the path where you could look down on a colony that had their own space.  There were numerous sea birds whirling around but without the binoculars we couldn’t begin to name any of them – some gulls!  Another enjoyable day.

Christchurch

We awoke to the constant pitter-patter of raindrops on the canvas – oh bother, our last morning and I was going to have to pack a soggy tent.  We knew getting back to the airport would only take a couple of hours but our flight wasn’t until late, late that night.  Still we knew we’d be able to find plenty of distractions along the way to fill in the time – the only drawback with that plan was the weather.  It didn’t stop raining and it seemed senseless to get soaking wet before catching an 11-hour flight back to KL.  In the end we decided to head straight to Christchurch and see if we could find some indoor activities.  We had a map of the area that was still cordoned off since the earthquake but it looked like at least one museum / art gallery would be accessible. 

As we neared Christchurch the rain eased and by the time we found a free parking spot near the Botanical Gardens it had ceased.  So we used this dry spell as a chance to wander around their lovely gardens.  There were very few people around but we think that was mainly due to it being peak holiday season and many people would have left the city.  Much of the central earthquake zone is still deemed too dangerous for people to wander round but it didn’t appear to be as devastated as we’d been led to believe from news reports.  Many of the buildings are still structurally unstable and with there having been a couple of severe aftershocks just that week the authorities didn’t want people wandering around.  There was one interesting section we could walk round where businesses have used shipping containers and converted them into shops and cafes.  It looks really funky and I hope the cafes and restaurants retain that once the area has been rebuilt.

We tried looking in some shops to fill more time but soon bored of that so returned the car and headed to the airport.  It was only 7pm and the gates weren’t even set to open until 10 bells!  Still we found ourselves a quiet corner, spent the last of our dollars on a final round of New Zealand larger (Steve) and wine (me).  It gave us plenty of time to work out how our budgeting had gone and we were delighted to find out that we hadn’t exhausted the money set aside.  No, we didn’t head to the cash point and order another round!  There’s always the next trip to finance!!  Instead we tried to think of a way to sum up what a fantastic holiday we had and set ourselves the challenge of choosing the best of in 10 categories.  If you’ve been paying attention I’m sure you could fill in the answers yourself but here goes.

1)      Best Accommodation – Wanaka Bakpaka

2)      Best Meal – The Moose Bar in Te Anau

3)      Favourite Place – Wanaka

4)      Favourite Activity – Helicopter ride

5)      Best Drive – Curio Bay to Te Anau

6)      Best Walk – we were forced to sub split this into Short Walk – Rob Roy Glacier & Long Walk – The Kepler Track

7)      Best Wildlife Experience – the Kea at Luxemore Hut

8)      Best Pub – Wanaka Ale House

9)      Best View – Key Summit

10)   Most Outstanding Day – Milford Sound day with the drive, walk to Key Summit, lakes, waterfalls, boat ride and animals.

Travel Info and Websites

Anchor Motel Timaru -  http://www.anchormotel.co.nz/

Glentanner camp site near Mt. Cook national park – an excellent choice when visiting the park. http://www.glentanner.co.nz/

Lazy Dolphin Backpackers – fantastic place to stay in Curio Bay, great views and friendly owner but we didn’t spot any dolphins, lazy or energetic! http://www.lazydolphinlodge.co.nz/

Te Anau Lake View Holiday Park – nice campsite by the lake. http://www.teanauholidaypark.co.nz/

Milford Sound Boat Cruises - http://www.southerndiscoveries.co.nz/

Wanaka Bakpaka – Book yourself into the lake view double and you will have the best room (for the money) in Wanaka! http://www.wanakabakpaka.co.nz/

Top 10 Campsite Franz Joseph - http://www.top10.co.nz/parks/franz-josef/

Fox Glacier Walk – cough up for the full day walk if you can. http://www.foxguides.co.nz/

Whale Watching - http://www.kaikourawhalewatching.com/

NZ Department of Conservation – the place to head to for all info on national parks and walks – including bookings for Kepler Track. http://www.doc.govt.nz/

Car rental – we found the best deal with Go rentals and they were fine - http://www.gorentals.co.nz/

 

Comments

1

Great read. You should sell it to the NZ tourist Corp.

  chris ullett Feb 20, 2012 9:24 AM

About steve_and_emma

Cheers!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.