Existing Member?

American on Walkabout

Brissy: A Food Lover's Paradise

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 22 July 2015 | Views [363]

I've been in Brisbane (aka Brissy) for exactly a week now and let me tell you, that is more than enough time to truly fall in love with this beautiful city. You get the big city feel, but with a lowkey, laid-back atmosphere and unbelievably friendly people. And so far it seems as though there is literally always something going on, especially in the trendy area of South Bank where I'm staying. I live in an apartment about 2 blocks from the Parklands, which hosts beautiful greenspace, an abundance of delicious restaurants and cafes, a number of events, a man made beach, and the Brisbane wheel, all along the riverbank of the Brisbane River.

Brisbane is honestly any food lover's paradise (so I promise you don't have to worry about me starving anytime soon, Mom). There's such a breadth of ethnic food choices here that you can essentially satisfy any craving. I'm personally super excited about all of the the Asian restaurants nearby. On a similar note, I'm also excited for the Noodle Night Market taking place in the Parklands for the next 12 days. Sooo much Asian food is going to be consumed. Last weekend, the Regional Flavors Food Festival took place there and was super amazing. I feel like there's just a constant stream of food markets going on in this city. It's perfect. Just today I went to the Queens Street Farmer's Market to pick up some groceries and scored some freshly made pasta from an Italian guy and the best yogurt I've ever tasted, among some other things. I haven't had a bad meal here yet (or even a mediocre meal for that matter) whether I'm eating out or cooking for myself with the super fresh ingredients that I'm able to get here. Even the eateries on University of Queenslands campus are super good. 

Obviously, you can also get the iconic vegemite and TimTams here. I tried vegemite in Sydney and honestly it's just not my cup of tea. It kind of tastes like salty, fish-oil butter in my perspective. TimTams on the otherhand are going to be my downfall while I'm here. They're these delicious cookies that remind me a little bit of a twix bar and I just can't stop eating them. It's bad. 

At least it's pretty easy to stay active here, which I'm going to need to do with all this delicious food I'm eating... 

Tags: australia, brisbane, food, food market, south bank

 

About stephmonahan

Bushwalking Mt Coot-tha

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.