Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

Museums, Museums, Museums

NETHERLANDS | Sunday, 31 December 2000 | Views [635]

On my way to South Africa, I was lucky enough to have a 12 hour layover in Amsertdam. Not just any twelve hour layover,  but one in the middle of the day 8am to 8pm, so I could actually get out and enjoy the city. It was an intense journey of museums, and city streets, that left me cold, exhausted, and excited that I got to do something with the few hours I had. By far my favoret museum was the Van Gogh museum. I loved seeing the actual works that I had seen so often reproduce, as well as the lesser know pieces that had such originality.

It was New Years eve, so many places were closed, or closed early. So I headed back to the airport to have a beer with my McDonald's dinner (it was the only food place open, even in the airport!). On the plane, the cabin crew woke us up when we first past into the New Year, serving a traditional Dutch pastery and Champagne, while the pilots sang a song over the intercome.

Not a horrible introduction to Amsterdam, well except the frozen dog poop that was everywhere.......

Tags: On the Road

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.