Existing Member?

Sam-I-Am Violin on the streets, fundamentalist Judaism, planting organic vegetables, and the like.

The Slow Life in Spain

SPAIN | Sunday, 18 May 2008 | Views [3072] | Comments [5]

Its like a painting. Except its the view of the living room window.

Its like a painting. Except its the view of the living room window.

I live in a village with an estimated 50-70 residents. It's called Les Piles de Gaia. My host does not seem to know where it comes from. That is neither here nor there. I am living with a family in rural Catalunya, an hour and a half outside of Barcelona, Spain, and earning my dinner through hard labor.

It is an organic farm, though it has rained for parts of almost every day since I've arrived and the ground is too wet to be stomping all over the fields of garlic and onions and lentils and melons and tomatoes and peppers. So, I have mostly been apprenticing as a mechanic, taking apart and putting together farming equipment with Joan, who is the father of this family. This type of work is exposing my inadequacies as a true engineer while simultaneously building those skills up. Also my hands are getting real dirty and collecting cuts and bruises. Nothing like roughed up hands to make you feel like you are getting something done with your life.

The days are very similar. It is a weird feeling of timelessness, because of the pattern, and because of the isolated environment. I wake up at 745am, I eat an unhealthy breakfast which often includes rice milk (which I suppose is, in fact, healthy) and cookies. I get to work with Joan. I prepare lunch with him and we two and Marinella, his wife, eat a late lunch which includes a huge salad. Then its siesta time, and I read (I have now finished all my English language books and am going to start reading a Gabriel Garcia Marquez book from the stairway bookshelf) or try to lessen the mountain of unreplied-to emails that I have accumulated. There is an afternoon of work, and once the kids get home (Pol, Melissa, and Didac), I frolic with them until dinner time. The kids are 8, 7, and 4 years old, and very excited about my presence here. Today there were footraces, hide and seek, fishing in the artificial pond (for watering the backyard plants), and football on the menu of activities. After dinner, I drink tea and hang out watching TV (nightly Catalan-language gameshow) with Joan and Marinella until bedtime.

I am so content.

Each individual aspect of this experience, I can mutter it to myself and smile with wonder that it is happening. I am living, for a short time, in Catalunya (lest you not know, they speak a different language here (though they also know Castilian Spanish)). I am working for a man who values simple, sustainable food (how did I get so lucky to pick Joan and his family). I sleep in a cabin in the backyard. I have been welcomed into a beautiful family. I am concocting footraces with a 7-year-old amongst the stone houses of a small village. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

Tags: family, farming, spain, work

Comments

1

Sam Stolper,

Sounds magical. You have found it.

And Happy Birthday



  Nina Fitzerman-Blue May 20, 2008 10:42 PM

2

yeah, what she said. happy birthday, bruh. i'll make you a wish sammich and stick a candle in it when you get back.

  harold May 21, 2008 12:44 AM

3

Happy birthday! Yom huledet sameach! Feliz cumpleanos! And I don't know how to say this in Arabic. But I hope you have a wonderful day. I'd say you're celebrating this birthday in fine style.
Love, Mom

  Mom May 21, 2008 3:11 AM

4

I come back from a two month trip, and here you are, still producing simple gentle smiling producing prose.
Congratulations.

(the old crew of the Ambassador Van - just not signed in)

  Tiffany Jun 12, 2008 10:21 PM

5

Hi Sam,

Spain is our feature country on the WorldNomads homepage for the next few weeks and so I've linked here as it makes great reading. As tiffany says above... simple, gentle, smiling prose.

Happy travels,
christy mccarthy

  crustyadventures Jun 24, 2008 2:40 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.