Existing Member?

There and Back Again Not all those who wander are lost

Wasting away

JAPAN | Sunday, 11 November 2007 | Views [566] | Comments [2]

Coming to the end of the Japan leg of the trip was interesting. A three night period where only 1 of the nights would be spent in an actual bed, and the rest would be spent on transportation. It didn't encourage me in the slightest when Raul informed me that it was something i should "get used too"

No sleep on the overnight bus back to Tokyo, same cheap cost, same dubious perks.

Ok nights sleep in an 8 person dorm in k's house back in Tokyo was as i had come to expect from the dorm life, you get 8 different people having 8 different agendas and at least 1 of them always snores, i haven't worn ear plugs because the sound of my heart and breathing is louder than the snoring.

No sleep on the planes from Japan to Australia, it just doesn't happen for me, im glad we have enough movies and meals to get me through the flight or else i'd probably decend into air rage. The other joys are that i'm not allocated an emergency exit space (i never thought id say that) but it means im saved from elderly ladies doing their long haul exercises (squatting and the like) in my emergency space, which generally means in my lap.

That however isn't the focus of this article, the focus is that the bus got us into Tokyo at 5am in the morning, and we didnt leave the country until 21:30 the evening after. Add to this that we had planned our finances quite well and had approximately 4,000 Yen to spend in the time we had remaining.

This meant we did more or less nothing for the last two days in japan, we were dead from the over night bus journey, and had no intention of withdrawing the smallest denomination note from the cash machine (about 50 quid in the conversion) in order to pay for a bigger meal.

It was almost like being at a LAN, except without waltzing matilda, or indeed computers.

Tags: Budgets & money

Comments

1

That card house, or should I say 'Card Pavilion' was legendary. In the end it reached 2746 storeys!

  Raúl Nov 11, 2007 1:08 PM

2

You've been here too long already, concocting lies like that one!

  Kylee Nov 14, 2007 4:06 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.