Existing Member?

The chronicles

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 3 April 2012 | Views [308] | Scholarship Entry

Always thought writing wasn’t for me. So, while in school, doing my first years, I took up a job as a radio Dj at one of the local radio station.
I was, sitting in my room a day after my graduation, “Damn, what now?” I thought. Deejaying in this country is no real job. It does not give out the income one needs to survive in this big bad world.
I brainstormed I got a job at a magazine! Funny enough, I got super good at it, and within a short time, I was promoted to Managing! At this point I was living the life you know, company house, car, good salary, and what else could I ask for?
My first issue came out; it was the best! Content, layout, off the hook! We were getting ready for our next issue when we decided we need to travel and cover stories outside the city I had moved to, Lilongwe, the capital city of the country. Our selected destination was Blantyre, the commercial city.
We were delayed by our cover personality, so we stayed there longer than planned! We left for Lilongwe on a Sunday, morning coach. At 12:30hrs, we were in the capital, called the boss to give us a ride home, because well, while in Blantyre, I lost money and of Corse he promised to send my car to the bus depot since we had a lot of luggage.
We got a cab home, and before we knew it, the boss was on our door! With a smile, I went to great him, and tell him all about our successful trip, but to my surprise he was not smiling at all!
“Get your stuff, leave all company material behind and leave my house. I ran a business you know”
And that was how I lost my once good job. That’s how my world came trembling down. You know, I was living the life… and it was all because I found passion in writing. Sometimes I question myself, if it wasn’t for that thought after my graduation, where would I be now? Good news is, now writing is my life… And I regret not figuring it out earlier! An art no one can take away from me.










Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About spidermonkey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.