Existing Member?

This is Braaaaziiiil

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 24 February 2012 | Views [302] | Scholarship Entry

I had spent my first 3 days in Brazil at home, scared of all “those” dangers people back home imagine… but finally there I was, sipping my first beer at Porto da Barra. It was the hottest time of the day and I was meant to go to a capoeira training in the centre of the city: Pelurinho. I was very curious to meet the teacher GP. I arrived to the Capoeira Academy all sweaty, full of sand, late and… smiling! Sofia? He was looking surprised to see me in my little black dress and my beer glaze! Yes, I said, sorry I am late. I went to change as quickly as I could. He showed me some basic moves. He was calm, patient and his smile struck me as his teeth looked so white contrasting his beautiful chocolate color. He was really beautiful. His body bending with incredible flexibility, his energy flowing with the music. The lesson finished soon, it was like waking up from a dream. He invited me to go for a walk in the city, I couldn’t hope for anything better. We started climbing uphill, my flip flops sliding but I was so happy! I could not even feel tired. At the top of the hill was the Forte de Santo Antonio, where all the most ancient capoeira schools were founded. I could feel all the energy of these centuries, the sound of the berimbao marking the rhythm of this special day that was coming to an end with a spicy atmosphere. There I was, staring at the sun go down into the Bahia of All Saints, the port of Salvador in front of me turning pink, purple clouds moving slowly, percussions sounds in the air and a guy I felt I had known forever next to me, so beautiful in his magic yet mysterious figure. Let’s go, he said suddenly. Why? I asked, surprised. It is so nice here. Because if we don’t, he answered, looking at me in the eyes for the first time, I will not resist from kissing you.
I was ready to go with the wave, I had gathered the right energy.

Tags: brazil, capoeira, travel writing scholarship 2012

About soph


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.