Existing Member?

The journal formerly known as ...Latin America

Sitting on the dock of the bay

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 28 September 2010 | Views [971] | Comments [1]

Writing to you today from the dock in Paquera, Costa Rica…we missed the car ferry to Puntarenas by about 10minutes, so now waiting for 2 1/2hrs for the next one…no wifi here, but hopefully I’ll get this posted before the end of the day (Tuesday).  We’ve been in Costa Rica now for 5 days and it’s been raining non-stop…not sure how much of it is because of the tropical storm Matthew and how much is just because of rainy season…radar shows us being south of Matthew, but who knows? All I know is that we probably should have spent the extra $7/day for the 4WD vehicle instead of the little Nissan tiida (the central American version of the Altima), we’ve been fording tiny rivers and huge potholes in this little thing…let’s just hope that I don’t have to try out the rental car insurance coverage! So far so good. I know what you’re thinking, rental car? We have been busing it through 5 countries and decided to splurge on the rental car, it’s really not much of a splurge, we’re just using our activity budget money for the week on the car…and considering the cost of transportation in this country; we might be saving money in some cases.  Main reason for getting the car was so we could see more of the country…Costa Rica is beautiful and amazing in so many ways, but because we ended up spending over 3 weeks in Nicaragua, we set a time limit on Costa to 8 days. Primarily because we are behind schedule and because everything is so expensive here! Costa definitely has most developed tourism infrastructure of all the places we have been.  This infrastructure is great in a lot of ways, there are tons of activities, atv’s, canopy tours, rafting, volunteering, museums, little zoos of frogs & butterflies (we learned a lot about frogs!, pictures to come) , tons of beautiful places to stay, the list goes on and on.  Of course, with this infrastructure comes the high prices…but, it’s all good, you just adapt a little, just like in belize, we find hostels to stay in that have kitchens so we can cook our own food, that helps a lot! As Sophia mentioned in her last blog, the capital city San Jose is awesome, it’s developed like a legitimate big city and buildings seem to be to code with escalators and modern conveniences. We arrived on a Friday and with so many people out and about it almost felt like a little NYC. Also as Sophia mentioned, the next day we went to Montverde, another very well developed tourist area, felt a lot like Estes Park, a mountain town with tons of little shops, restaurants and cute hotels.  But I gotta say, this place was a bit of a shocker for me, I don’t know that we’ve seen so many Americans in one place yet! Maybe I haven’t done a good enough job of explaining some of the more isolated places we have visited…as I may have mentioned, in El Salvador we went almost an entire week without seeing one other tourist, we gone through countless cities were horses are an extremely viable means of transportation. Many towns we’ve visited have 75% or more the men carry machete’s everywhere they go because it’s required for work and getting around! I remember a spot in Guatemala where all the woman carry baskets of dirty clothes on their head down to a 10x10 pool where they all washed their clothes together. Hopefully that gives you a bit of an idea as to why this place in Monteverde with $5 rum and cokes and a dance floor packed with 19yr old America kids appeared a bit odd to me.  Not bad, just odd and not what I was expecting.

So, moving on, we stayed last night in Montezuma, a cool little beach town known for good nearby surfing and great night life (in dry season). In rainy season, the town is pretty dead, handful of surfers, hippies selling bracelets and other handmade crafts and a few travelers trying to wait out the never ending rain. The rain really does kill most activities, except drinking and gambling, those activities seem to be just fine…lol. And now, sitting at the boat dock, this boat will save us from driving through about 15miles of washed out, muddy, hole ridden dirt road and will drop us off real close to the interamericana hwy, from there we head south the Jaco and Playa Hermosa (Hermosa beach, baby!) hopefully we arrive around sundown. With a little luck of the weather tomorrow, we will rent a couple long boards and see about catching some decent surf…this town is supposed to have good waves year around. Wish us luck.

Lastly, to close the book on Nicaragua and the corn islands…major highlight of the trip was the cave dive, we were crawling on our elbows through the some really tight holes in the rock (we both came out with blood and cuts to prove it).  Once inside these caverns, holes in the top of the rock would let light in and create some really cool effects…at one point it was as dark as diving at night. There was also a strong surge in the water that day (similar to a current, swaying back and forth) and when swimming through holes it would create an effect like a torpedo launching you through the holes once the surge was going the same way you were. Very cool.

Unfortunately , Sophia got the flu about the time we were wanting to leave, so we went to Big Corn island, where we could get a more comfortable room (a/c, tv, etc) so she could rest for a few days (part of why we were in nica so long). When we finally left Thursday afternoon, it turned into a 13hr boat ride straight across the Caribbean and up the river to El Rama. From there we literally ran across the port to catch the express bus (at 3:30am) for the 5hr ride to Managua(no bathroom breaks)…we rolled into the hostel in Managua at 9:00am ready for breakfast and a siesta! I could go on about the boat ride but I’ll leave it at that.

The ride into Costa Rica was smooth except one piece of info that no one bothered to tell us…Costa requires you to show a ticket to exit the country (bus or plane) before they will let you in. Of course the specifics of your ticket cannot be enforced at the border so simply printing out a potential itinerary from expedia, etc would suffice. Or if you’re stuck there with no other option, you purchase the $37/per person bus ticket from the Tica bus kiosk conveniently located next to immigration. Pretty lame. We’ve done a really good job of avoided these tourist trap expenses, but they got us that time…oh well, travel and learn, won’t happen again, I promise.

That’s all for now and as they say in Costa Rica, Pura Vida!c

Brett    

Tags: costa rica, monsoon, scuba diving caves

 

Comments

1

Hi Brett, so great to read your blog, glad you got to your destination without too much drama... I hope the weather lets up for you, CR is so beautiful but with the rain, its hard too see it's beauty. I hope you can check out Puerta Quepos and the Manual Antonio National Park, the Mariposa Inn etc, it's a really enjoyable part of the country.
Great to Skype the other night, grandma enjoyed it immensely!
Can't wait to talk again, safe travels, may love, light, blessing follow you : )
Love , mom

  Mom Sep 30, 2010 3:51 PM

About sobrea


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.