Existing Member?

La Vie en Roam

Anchor's Away in Airlie Beach

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 30 July 2009 | Views [2713]

When we pulled up to Beaches Backpackers, we knew that we were in the center of the action in Airlie Beach. The chunky tables that lined the café and bar of Beaches were teeming with sun-kissed travellers, fresh off of their sailing trips to the Whitsundays.

As we joined them for dinner, we heard snippets of their aquatic adventures, as they chatted about their snorkelling trips, the sandy white beaches and the beauty of the Whitsundays. We enjoyed the live music and a tasty meal alongside our new friends at Beaches, where we were throwing our Van-Tastic Adventures launch party the next night.

We spent the next day exploring the Airlie Beach lagoon, a trendy little hangout along the bay with picturesque views of the sail boats. The boho crowd seemed to be relaxing around the lagoon, soaking up the sun and being entertained by an acoustic guitar or two.

We headed in to prepare for the launch party and the new wave of travellers hopping off the yachts. We met up with Gabby from Explore Whitsundays to see what these sailing tours had to offer. She explained that there was a tour for everyone, ranging from backpackers trips to luxury cruises, each varying in length and activities. The sailing tours are all-inclusive and boast snorkelling trips by day and stargazing by night, at some of the world’s most beautiful beaches. Now we understood what all of the buzz was about last night - where do we sign up?

The visions of the stunning islands were still dancing in our heads as the hordes of boaters began to pour into Beaches Backpackers for a nice cold brew and a bite after their day on the water. We made our rounds to play some Aussie trivia with the crowds and answers got creative as drink vouchers were up for grabs. Geoff, our karmic campervan, also was open for tours, hanging out in front of the bar, loving all the attention. Quite a few travellers seemed keen on taking him on their own roadtrip after a peek inside! It was a great night filled with live music, T-shirt giveaways, and a dose of Van-Tastic fun with our new friends!


Onwards and upwards...the Van-Tastic Queensland guys from New Zealand will be arriving in Cairns soon! We can't wait to meet them!

Tags: airlie beach, australia, party, road trip, sailing, travel, van-tastic adventures, whitsundays, world nomads, yachting

 

About smarkas


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.