Existing Member?

World Sightseeing

A Manly Trip to Down Under

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 31 March 2015 | Views [518]

Australia is surprisingly full of fun things to do when you take your time to explore and discover all the various locations, especially if you meet a few locals who have the knowledge of these spots and can point to all the fun activities and extraordinary places to check out. Unfortunately, when you’ve decided that you needed a long-due break from your job and all the dull environments, and you bring a bunch of (male) friends on an extended weekend, the entire concept of what a vacation should look like falls into water and you’re destined to come up with new ways of exploring this beautiful landscape while also trying not to look as hungover.

Packing only the necessary things

As we arrived at Sydney’s airport, we realized that none of us were equipped for the unbelievable heat Australia had in store for us. Apparently when you’re accustomed to a “normal” climate and only posses a few pairs of pants and tight-fitted shirts, you’re clearly overdressed. In order to enjoy our stay, the first mission (which was checking out the nearest bar) became finding the nearest tourist shop and gearing up on lightweight, loose-fit shirts and terrible (and yet incredibly useful) tourist hats. If you’re reading this and haven’t packed yet, feel free to turn your suitcase upside down and start again, you aren’t prepared for this.

Researching the destination

None of us had any real idea of what we would like to do or see, somehow we all thought we’d figure it out along the way. Terrible, terrible mistake. The first day or so was wasted on checking Google Maps for fun places and venues while enjoying the all-too-familiar taste of Starbucks. Locals were extremely helpful, especially since I guess we must’ve had ignorance written across our foreheads, that’s how lost we were in this beautiful city.

However this all changed as the sun came down and the city had become alive with this beautiful energy that can’t be described, but experienced in person. Everyone was extremely friendly and we couldn’t believe how easy it was to make friends with Aussies. Even James, who would otherwise come off as a “cold British” (sorry buddy) was discussing Australian sport teams with a group he had just met, while we sipped on our beer in a local beach bar. At this point I believe that Sydney has the friendliest locals, especially when moderate amounts of alcohol are involved.

Connecting with the opposite gender

Australian women are incredibly friendly in their own ways too. I wouldn’t call it over-friendly, but there’s definitely some flirtation involved. Perhaps it was due to our strange looks or the accent, but it seemed as if every woman was having the best day of her life as we spoke and joked around. The atmosphere between 2 genders is always very relaxed and fun. We even made fun of ourselves for preferring to stay friends with these creatures!

I should also mention that escorting is legal in our area and we even went out on a date with 2 beautiful "Red Door Agency" ladies and yes, they were even friendlier, which is certainly an achievement in our overall opinion! It was a great extraordinary experience as we went out to a fancy restaurant and a few drinks after that.

We ended up having so much fun, we had to call in sick and stay another couple of days (making 6 total) and came back full of energy and perfectly tanned, believe it or not!

Tags: australia, beaches, locations, party, people, venues

About silkmoose


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.