Existing Member?

A Journey for the Soul

The Old Man of Storr, Ile of Skye, Scotland

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [80] | Scholarship Entry

Suddenly, as we approached the destination of our hike, the vast dark-green mountainous horizon started to transform. “It has to be alien-origin,” I thought. There couldn’t be any other explanation. How can nature create something so profoundly fictional?

The sun-trenched highway was sticking to our boots. Nevertheless, it offered a clear guidance to our destination. As we got closer and closer, it all became more visible. Sharp slim peaks over the horizon were piercing light blue cloudless sky.

Upon reaching the bottom of the valley, an upward look across the hill turned fiction into reality. Galactic deep-grey basalt pinnacles stood upright in the middle of a green field. This was our final destination.

These pinnacles were utterly mesmerising. I don’t know why. Maybe it was the combination of a clear blue sky, basalt flickering in the sun and warm breeze from the Atlantic ocean, which made those grey lifeless creatures so inviting. Soon enough, our bodies were overtaken by this unbearable desire to reach the top.

The low point in the valley, where breezes from the Atlantic ocean were still gentle on our skin, marked our start point for the grand ascend. We embarked our journey. Tiny paths led us onwards. These paths looked like they were out of a landscape painting – perfectly drawn lines divided green fields into smaller and smaller pieces.

As we progressed upward the hill, our footing became more unstable. Open rocks were slithering as soon as we felt a steady ground. Our hands had suddenly an essential role to play in reaching the top. Grasping for cold air, we finally stepped on the high-ground. We conquered those pinnacles.

I was sitting there on the brink of the hill and looking down on the vast emptiness of never-ending horizon. It was a true “no man’s land”. The Atlantic ocean looked unfamiliar - the reflection of the sun turned water surface snow-white.

Staring in the distance, I became one with the horizon. Watching down on my journey, I felt small. Tiny fraction of the world. This feeling was grounding. Being a small part of a big world made me inspired. This journey was for the soul. This view will always be for people with lively imagination. At that moment I understood that everything is possible. I can become what I want to be.

We started our descend down familiar paths. Upon reaching the valley, we took one last glimpse at our conquest. In the arbitrary of the Atlantic ocean so lonesome he stands – The Old Man of Storr.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About siim_uhtjarv


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.