Existing Member?

Sidiq Pambudi Journal Pieces of traveling experiences

Wae Rebo : In Harmony of Nature and Culture

INDONESIA | Monday, 24 November 2014 | Views [1712]

Formation of Mbaru, traditional house of Manggarai tribe
Located in the middle of the mountains, Wae Rebo village, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia seems like difficult to reach. The access is only about 7 km long of footpath connecting with the nearest village making this village unique, also the uniqueness of their culture. Reluctance to leave the location because cultural value of the tribe village is necessary for indigenous people, so that it still remain stable until now. Directly adjacent to the forest, people rely on natural resources for survive, especially for the needs of a source of food, crafts, medicine and building material. Wae Rebo is special because its is the one Manggarai tribe villages which still occupies Mbaru Niang (traditional house of Manggarai tribe).

Social relationships between the components of society are very close as well as the relationship with nature, people protect the forest because they believe that forest can give them sustainability of life. Society take natural resources as they needed, i did not hear the story that the any natural resources is for sale besides crops. Hunting activity is not unusual in society, in the past hunting is only for to fulfill needs of nutrition. Around the village in most of the day, the birds always singing in the yard and in the forest around the village. Lots species of bird take its singing part creates a lively atmosphere. But no one can match with warble of the endemic bird in Flores, nkiong (Pachycephala nudigula; Bare-throated whistler) that has a loud and melodious sound.

As part of nature, protecting nature is its sustainability is necessity so that cultural values can be preserved along with biodiversity.

Tags: 2014 travel photography scholarship, culture, my scholarship entry, nature, village

About sidiqpambudi

Prairie at Nuca Molas Island

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.