Existing Member?

On the Road "The purpose of life lies at the intersection of the heart's deepest desires, the mind's keenest talents, and the world's greatest needs."

South Africa (July-August '07)

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 23 April 2008 | Views [2457]

Another severely retroactive posting, another flag to the photo galleries.

Inspired by one of my favourites profs at Guelph, Renee Sylvain, I finally made it to Africa after years of dreaming of savannahs and jungles. I was in the South African side of the Kalahari for about 6 weeks, living with a tiny =Khomani San community in Askham, and then met up with my surprisingly adventurous mother for a 2-week road trip around the country.

In the Kalahari, I was volunteering in the community and working on some independent research on community-based conservation and international environmental and human rights law. I fell in love in several ways and promised my return to many people. Though it's been delayed a bit by the upcoming stint in Tajikistan, not a day goes by that I don't think about the sights, sounds, smells, and feelings of the people and animals in that stunning little corner of the world...

 

About shrummer16


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.