Existing Member?

Globe Hopper

5 Things to do in Hong Kong in a day.

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 25 June 2014 | Views [491]

Hong Kong has a very busy airport which is a hub of activity with many connecting flights occurring from this airport.  But, did you know that there is no visa required nor are there any fees for tourists? Now for South Africans, from whom many countries require visas, this is an absolute delight.

 

Furthermore, the whole city has all signs in English and they have information stations with English speaking people to assist. From the airport one can easily commute to the city with buses, taxis or the easiest way which is the Airport Express train which goes directly to Hong Kong Central and a return ticket costs HK$100.

So if you have a connecting flight and have a long time to wait why not take a quick tour of the city?

 

Here are some of the things that can be done whilst awaiting the next flight:

 

The IFC Mall- This is the last destination of the train that departs from the airport. Just step out of the train and you are on the doorstep of the luxurious IFC Mall. The Mall is Oval shaped and is built above road level, quite fascinating. You could do some shopping, eat at a restaurant or even watch a movie.

Hong Kong Bus Tour-From the mall (just past the Apple store) there is a bridge that leads to Victoria Harbour. At this street there are red buses lined up and tickets are about HK$120. This tour is about 45minutes and goes to all the streets in the city. It is good to have a bird’s eye view of what the city is like. Take along head phones because there is commentary available in 10 different languages.

 

Maritime Museum-This museum is situated right where the bus tour is and if you are into museums and ships this museum offers a real treat. The entry fee is only HK$30 and it is all about the history of China from as far back as the first vessel. Then it goes through the changes in history through the various vessels and steam liners. There are also amazing views of the harbour from the museum. A gift shop is also available.

 

Ferry ride- The ferry ride costs about HK$5, which is very cheap but it basically takes you to the other side of the harbor. If you have alot more time then you could opt to go on the island tour which is about HK$200.

 

Victoria Harbour- If you don’t want to do anything then just go sit at the park overlooking the ocean with all the ships and boats. When I visited there was an orchestra practising music. It is just way better to sit at the harbour which is peaceful than waiting at the airport. And from here just head back to the mall to take the train back to the airport. The airport offers a shower facility for HK$180 and a nap room which costs HK$600 for 3 hours. There is also a luggage storage facility which costs HK$10 per item per hour.

Hong Kong has become one of my favourite cities in the world and I would recommend it as an affordable yet extravagant holiday destination.

 

 

Tags: hong kong/things to do in hong kong/long layovers

 

About shenaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.