Existing Member?

Eating Culture

Warung

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 7 May 2015 | Views [177] | Scholarship Entry

In Kuala Lumpur, it is easy to get caught up exploring the bright, beautiful, shiny shopping complexes - they are a safe haven, full of familiar western culture and an air conditioned environment which offers respite from the sometimes unbearable humidity. Unfortunately this means that you can end up spending a lot of your time in food courts or restaurants sampling watered down and overpriced malay and indian cuisine.

In a country rich with migration, to really experience the varying food-scape one must avoid the Petronas Towers at all costs , stay clear of restaurants for a night and dive into the surrounding Jalan and taste local street vendor cooking.

It can be a dangerous proposition to the unconditioned eater. For myself, I have a standard travellers cast iron stomach as a result of hard conditioning and less then desirable food budgets. However, this means if the meat has been kept at a sub-standard temperature for several days I might be a bit a gassy. However, for the average tourist, their are a whole range of experiences that could be precipitated after consuming warring food. So, proceed with caution.

My travelling partner in this instance was one what you might consider a beginner to what can only be described as third world food handling practices. Don't be put off by the forbearing tone. We spent a mere five dollars and a good hour up to our elbows in the creamiest panners, coconut rice, crab and lamb stews, washing it all down with soda from the esky next to the hanging chicken carcasses and potentially another hour playing cards with either one of the chefs or the owners, who gave us some of the most interesting political and social commentary, I have ever heard.

But unfortunately for my travelling buddy, he was struck down for a good twelve hours after with perhaps one of the roughest experiences, where as I farted a few times and was quite content to go back the next afternoon for insider information on when the best time was to go to the Batu Caves.

He might blame it on the food, but it could have easily of been water from the shower, these are the risks we take when travelling. Regardless, the meal, tastes, conversation and proceeding experiences provided a lasting impression of actual Malaysian culture which has stayed with me long since returning.

Would we eat there again? In a heart beat. In fact, we went back.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About shalpin


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.