Existing Member?

Sometimes I even know where I'm going.....but not often Cycling down the Pacific Hwy in the USA

Cycling the Sea to Sky....or the Sky to Sea

CANADA | Monday, 9 May 2011 | Views [1034] | Comments [3]

Ever had a great idea? The one you get at two am just as you're drifting off to sleep. Usually when you wake up the idea seems too hard or too impossible. In the cold light of dawn the idea seems unreasonable. So you file it away at the back of your head to dream on when you're at a staff meeting or a boring class.

In my case I woke up and told everyone I knew that I was going to cycle to California.....from Whistler BC......on a bicycle.

I told them with conviction and certainty. As if I'd thought it through.

I hadn't.


I started to think about it fairly intently two nights ago. It was cold, wet and lonely at the Shannon Falls camp ground. My sleeping bag wasn't warm enough. My $20 tent from Walmart which I could only fit in if I slept diagonally, began to leak.

First night on the road and I shivered in and out of sleep, getting up to wee every two hours because presumably my body was trying to get back at me.

It rained all night.

Then all the next day.


I woke up at six am on Friday shivering like a dildo. And when you're vibrating at that frequency there is no point in trying to go back to sleep. I got up and after packing up began to slowly pedal down the road.

Google maps assures me that I should be able to average 17.5kph. Google maps is overly optimistic. It was 52ks to Vancouver. It took me four and a half hours.

These are my excuses:

1: I hadn't got any sleep.

2: I'm not very fit.....yet

3: my gear weighs lots

and most importantly the road is called 'The Sea to Sky Highway' and that means it goes up, then goes down and then goes straight back up again...all the freakin' time! I stopped looking at my cycle computer after awhile, seeing it on 6kph all the time got demoralising.

Yep those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them.


My plan had been to have lunch at Horseshoe bay. The problem was Horseshoe bay was at the bottom of the mountain and highway 99 was most of the way up the mountain. I looked down at the town that was no more than a few boats and buildings glimpsed between the trees and clouds. On occasion I can see the future. Just like a seer. And what I saw as I looked down at Horseshoe Bay was a horrible hard slog back up the mountain after lunch. Thus forewarned I ate my bread beside the road and stared at the rain staring out over the cloud filled bay. It was pretty in a grey sort of way.


You may be getting the picture by now. I'm not a that stalwart adventurer who spits in the eye of adversary and laughs in the face of certain exhaustion. When times get tough I don't get going. I'm more likely to have a little cry, start screaming insults at inanimate objects or sit down and stare despondently at a wall for forty-five minutes. But that's one of the reasons I'm attempting this trip....to gain more courage. After all, if it wasn't a challenge then what would the point.


The highway wove it's way into the city moving from mountain and bay views with a wide smooth verge, to rubbish strewn suburbs and narrow unpredictable shoulder. I love cities.


Ah but the romance of cycling. Open to everything. Exposed to the environment. Feeling, hearing and smelling every shift of the world as you drift along in an unassuming bubble. The creak of road signs in the wind, the whiff of marijuana, the lungful of diesel fumes, the rush of trucks whooshing by with inches to spare.

I misplaced North Vancouver. It wasn't where I remember leaving it. I turned off too early and had a discussion with a girl at a bus stop about where I'd left it. Together we figured out that I'd dumped the highway nine exits too soon. With a sigh I turned and retraced my.....wheel treads[footsteps on a bike]. I don't like that type of highway, too busy. I've often thought the road would be much better if there wasn't any cars on it.

There was a certain coffee shop I recalled down at the Lonsdale quay market. I'd been dreaming about it for the past two hours in between wondering why I sold my car.

I made a bee line for it, dumped my bike outside, grabbed the biggest hot chocolate I could buy. A ham and cheese croissant. Inhaled and tried to dry out and thaw out.

Some time later, feeling less like a wet piece of newspaper I drifted over to the sea cat. Got yelled at by the loading team.

“Last door on your left. Last door on your left! LAST DOOR ON YOUR LEFT.”

I'd gone into the third door on my left, because I was intimidated by all the people screaming at me and just wanted to get on the ferry and away from them, and wasn't sure if they were yelling because I was at the wrong door, or had gone right instead of left. This happens to me frequently.


At the other end at Waterfront I disembarked, and frowned at the escalator. The other cyclists picked their bikes up and wandered up the moving staircase easy as pie. The other cyclists were muscular men with lite bikes and no gear. Swearing and looking far less cool, I dragged the Delinquent Caribou [my bike's name....cause it is a Kona Dew City....DC.....Delinquent Caribou] over to the escalator and got aboard. I got off with a inelegant heave.


I walked out of the station up the first street I saw and three blocks later, into the first hostel I encountered. Hostels are fabulous. In that they are dry and warm and have other travelling people in them. Life was good.  

Tags: bicycle touring, cycling, sea to sky, squamish, vancouver, whistler

 

Comments

1

your crazy. and that is why we love you!

  mel May 11, 2011 12:38 AM

2

Hello petit pigeon voyageur! Already add a comment but didn't seem to appear... So here is my message again
So on the road again! Sending you lots of love and energy muscle!!
France is watching you!!!
Big kiss

  Aurelie May 11, 2011 6:20 PM

3

Good one kym, only a bone headed sand groper would be persistent and keep going good luck remember the words of the piss pot sage from the eco tourist park in SA "take the road less traveled" all our love A,K & L and yes we are still in Wishmeluk. By the way they caught a 4.7Metre salty down at Donkey Camp last week, only 3 more to go apparently ---->---->---:<

  Adrian the Grumpy Boatman May 13, 2011 12:20 AM

About shalaith

Me looking stunning in orange and yellow!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.