Existing Member?

Bantayan Journal

The Hospital Trip

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 31 August 2014 | Views [253]

This is my bed.  I woke up last night at midnight, with an uneasy feeling in my

This is my bed. I woke up last night at midnight, with an uneasy feeling in my

This is my bed.
 
I woke up last night at midnight, with an uneasy feeling in my stomach. For the next 12 hours, I would be "firing on all cylinders". I am no stranger to stomach issues, but this seemed a bit extreme. When I developed blurry vision and light-headedness, I decided that it was time to seek help. Due to my condition (and the fact that it was raining outside), I could not ride a motorcycle. So I hailed a motorized trike. There I was; sleep deprived, malnourished, dehydrated, and legally blind. Huddled in the side car of a motorized trike, getting pummeled by rain, on a half hour journey to Bantayan District Hospital.

Sammy was my trike driver. He was a perfect stranger, but he accompanied me through my check in at the hospital, he ran to purchase medications for me, and he sat next to my bed until my new friends arrived. There are few situations in life that make you feel as vulnerable as being helpless and alone in an unfamiliar place. It is this "vulnerability" that forces you to reach out and experience the kindness and generosity that you didn't know existed around you. Thank you Sammy.
 
 

About sg1981

Hello,  I am a 33 year old Architect from San Francisco.  Currently, I am design

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.