Existing Member?

Itchy Feet

Sagada: How to Get There

PHILIPPINES | Monday, 26 March 2012 | Views [11295]

Via Public Transportation

  1. Manila-Baguio-Sagada route 

           This is the most popular route given the number of buses going to Baguio. Victory Liner has a 24-hour service and buses run every hour on off-peak seasons and every 15 minutes on peak times.

           Fare: P450

           Travel Time: 6 - 8 hours (depending on Manila traffic)

           Schedule: every hour (off-peak) and every 15 minutes (peak) 

Other bus lines are Dagupan Bus (+632 727 2330) and Genesis Bus (+632 421 1427), both along EDSA in Cubao.

Tips

  • Night  travel is advised (between 10 - 11:30 PM) so you'll arrive in Baguio City early morning to catch the first bus to Sagada.
  • Bring your own snacks and drinks because prices in the rest stops are steep.
  • There are 2 rest stops, one in Tarlac and another in Pangasinan. Have loose change available if you will use the rest rooms.

Baguio to Sagada

Upon arriving in Baguio, take a cab to the Dangwa Terminal and catch the first trip of Lizardo/GL Trans at 5:30 A.M. The ticket window is on the left side of the station.

         

            Fare: P220 (this hasn't changed since 2006)

           Travel Time: 6 hours

           Schedule: every hour from 5:30 AM to 1:00 P.M.

Tips

  • Buses are non-airconditioned. Be ready with your scarves or hankies to protect you from dust.
  • The road is long and winding, with the last 30 minutes on bumpy, dusty, and scary roads. Be prepared.
  • The views on the right side of the bus are spectacular.

      2. Manila-Bontoc-Sagada route

          Bontoc, the capital of Mt. Province, is 12 hours away from Manila and 45 minutes from Sagada. However, there are only two buses from Manila to Bontoc with only one trip each. Cable Tours (+639185216790) is located in E. Rodriguez Sr. Quezon City and the single trip is at 8:00 P.M. Kasilen Transport (+639178629574) also has a single trip at 9:00 P.M.

           Fare: P650

           Travel Time: 12 hours

           Schedule: 8:00 P.M. (Cable Tours) and 9:00 P.M. (Kasilen)

From Bontoc, there are jeepneys to Sagada from 7:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. Fare is P45.

Tips

  • Call a week or two in advance to make reservations and be sure to be there 30 minutes before departure to choose the best seats.
  • The best jeepney seats are in front beside the driver. If you are brave and adventurous enough, try toploading, that is, riding on the rooftop of the jeepneys for the best views.
  • If you have time to spare, pass by the Bontoc Museum, which showcases lots of photos of the tribes, a diorama of an ethnic village, and a mummy!

      

       3. Manila-Banaue-Sagada route

          One can choose between the Auto Bus and Florida Bus both in Sampaloc, Manila to go to Banaue. The trip takes 9 hours passing through the Provinces of Nueva Ecija and Vizcaya.

           Fare: P400 - P500

           Travel Time: 9 hours

           Schedule: 6:30 P.M. (Auto Bus) and 10:45 P.M. (Florida)

From Banaue, one has to catch the single jeepney trip (Fare: P150) to Bontoc (2.5 hours), and from there, take another jeepney to Sagada (45 minutes). There are also buses from passing through Banaue going to Bontoc.

Tips

  • You can stay overnight in Banaue and take a sidetrip to the Banaue or Batad Rice Terraces. If you can't, then you can request the bus/jeep driver to stop by the Rice Terraces Viewpoint for a quick photo session.

  • The time given here are estimates only. It doesn't include waiting in-between rides.
  • If you can spare P3500, you can hire a jeep to Sagada and have plenty of photo ops along the way.

     

    Stopping by the Bay-yo Terraces View Point. It was so chilly and windy here!

 

Rice terraces up close

 

View of a village from the top

Via Private Transportation


Although it is not advisable to bring your own car to Sagada, it is not impossible to bring one especially if you have the right car, like SUV, van, or a 4-wheel drive.

Take the NLEX all the way to Baguio, then take the La Trinidad-Bontoc-halsema Highway to Sagada. To avoid the La Trinidad traffic, there is an alternate route from Baguio by taking Pacdal Road then Ambuklao Road. There are detailed driving directions in Google Maps.

Once you get to this fork road with this sign, turn left and be prepared for a 30-minute bumpy ride.

Tags: auto bus, banaue, bontoc, cable tours, road trip, sagada, victory liner

About seafairy1512


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.