Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Writing Scholarship 2013 - Beijing, China

CHINA | Tuesday, 12 February 2013 | Views [243182] | Comments [128]

Applications are now closed - best of luck to everyone that applied!

 

Keen to turn your passion for writing into a profession?

This year we want to send you to Beijing, China!

Crisscrossed by freeways, spiked with high-rises, this vivid metropolis is China at its most dynamic. For a thousand years, the drama of China’s imperial history was played out in Beijing, with the emperor sitting enthroned at the centre of the Chinese universe, and though today the city is a very different one, it remains spiritually and politically the heart of the country.

In this Travel Writing Scholarship, your assignment will be to get under the skin of this city of 22 million, discover the stories of the culture and its people, and write about it all, under the mentorship of two seasoned travel writers.

Here's the deal:

First you'll head off to Beijing to go on assignment for five days under the mentorship of Rough Guides writer Martin Zatko to review and update the Beijing chapters of 'The Rough Guide to China'.

Then join international travel journalist and Beijing local, Kit Gillet, for an adventure into his backyard to explore some of the hidden, and not so hidden (camping on the Great Wall anyone?) charms of the city.

All of this writing is sure to work up a pretty serious appetite, so for the last leg of the scholarship, you will spend three days with Hias Gourmet getting well acquainted with the history, art and technique that accompanies the Chinese love of their cuisine.

Important Dates

**You need to be available between June 24th - July 6th, 2013 to participate on the assignment.**

April 19    Submission deadline  

May 10    Winner confirmed and announced 

June 24    Arrive in Beijing

June 25-29  Writing Assignment with Martin Zatko

June 30-July 2  Mentorship & Beijing adventure with Kit Gillet

July 3-5  Chinese Food extravaganza

July 6    Depart

August 9    Copy deadline

On assignment with Rough Guides

 

Your Rough Guides brief

* We'll fly you to Beijing from your country of residence. 

* After spending two days learning the ropes with mentor Martin Zatko, you will have a chance to explore this bustling, progressive city for two days on your own. In this time, you will research, review and update essential travel information for 'The Rough Guide to China', including accommodations, duck restaurants, theatres, teahouses and - best of all - the Forbidden City itself! On your final day, you will meet back up with Martin to go over your work together.

* Your mentor will be at hand to offer guidance, but essentially this is your assignment; you will travel on your own for this part of the journey so you must be comfortable travelling solo. Martin will assign you a specific area based on your travel experience.

* Your work will feature in the new edition of 'The Rough Guide to China', placing your foot firmly in the door of the elusive travel writing industry!

Read an interview with Martin Zatko about life as a travel writer.

Through local eyes

 

For your second mentorship experience in Beijing, you will spend three days with Kit Gillet, learning what life is like as a freelance journalist and discovering Beijing through his local perspective.

First, you’ll spend a night camping near (or actually on!) the Great Wall of China, to experience this wonder of the world firsthand – and without the crowds.

You will also spend time among the hutong alleyways that formed the ancient heart of the Chinese capital. Wander around the courtyards that still dominate the northern part of central Beijing, talking to locals and seeing the modern developments - restaurants, bars, micro breweries - that are turning some of the areas into chic city destinations for foreign tourists.

Finally, you will visit the artist commune of Songzhuang and galleries of Caochangdi to see the burgeoning Chinese art scene to find out how Chinese artists work and what inspires them.

Food & Culture

 

Nowhere else on the Chinese mainland can compete with the culinary wealth of Beijing: every style of Chinese food is available, plus just about any Asian and most world cuisines. Among all this abundance it’s sometimes easy to forget that Beijing has its own culinary traditions; Beijing duck (Beijing kaoya) and Mongolian hotpot are definitely worth trying!

For the final leg of your trip, our friends at Hias Gourmet want to give you a window into this rich food culture by offering up three culinary experiences of your choice. Go on a tea tasting safari, a night market excursion, a breakfast tour of the Sihuan market or noodle and dumpling making classes.

You'll also have some free time during this leg of the trip to explore Beijing and dig up some independent stories.

What you'll need to produce

Along with your work on 'The Rough Guide to China', you will be required to keep a daily travel journal on WorldNomads.com (no less than 200 words per daily entry), as well as produce three pieces to be published on World Nomads sharing your adventures in Beijing.

Who can apply

* This opportunity is open to students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change.

* The scholarship is open to all nationalities, however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written English.

* The opportunity is designed to give you a taste of what it's like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable doing some travel on your own.

* Minimum age 18 by the date the scholarship application closes (April 19, 2013)

* You need a current passport with at least six months left before expiry.

* You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way, you must be available for the entire assignment.

* You should be an exceptional writer with a lust for adventure travel, a desire to experience new cultures and above all, a burning desire to become a professional travel writer!

What constitutes a professional travel writer?

Essentially this is a 'learning opportunity' for someone who is looking for an introduction into the travel writing industry and more importantly, is keen to be mentored.

As a guide, for the purposes of the opportunity, we would consider you to be professional writer if you have been published regularly in newspapers, travel magazines or travel journals. We would also consider you to be a professional writer if you derive more than 25% of your income from writing.

If you have had a few stories published, or keep a regular travel blog then we would not consider this professional.

We would also like to further clarify that a professional writer of any sort (travel writer or otherwise) is not eligible to apply if they derive more than 25% of their income from writing.

Please consider the spirit of the program which is intended to help those with a burning desire to be a professional travel writer and need some help getting started.

Apply now

If you want it, you've got to show it. To apply you need to:

1. Write. Craft a 2500 characters or less (this includes spaces) travel focused essay based on a personal experience around one of the following themes;

a. 'Catching a Moment'

b. 'Understanding a Culture through Food'

c. 'A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective'

d. 'Sharing Stories - A Glimpse into Another's Life'

It's up to you to convince our judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing to be chosen for this scholarship. We will be looking for:

- great descriptive ability
- strong eye for detail
- ability to uncover and tell a compelling story
- excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés

2. Complete an entry form which includes contact details and a maximum 1200 character essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.

3. One entry per person.

4. The entry must be submitted in English.

Applications close April 19, 2013 at 2pm (AEST)

 

All photos courtesy of Tim Draper (c) Rough Guides

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY - Please read before applying!

Click to read the terms and conditions of this scholarship

*Note: Once you apply, you may not go back and edit your entry. Please make sure you are completely satisfied with your essay before you submit an application.*

The recipient of the Scholarship, along with the shortlist of best entries will be published on the WorldNomads.com website on May 10th, 2013.

Read the winning and best entries from our 2012 Travel Writing Scholarship

Got a question? Post it below!

Related Articles:

Life on the Road as a Rough Guides author - Interview with Martin Zatko

Advice from an Aspiring Travel Writer

Posters

DOWNLOAD A SCHOLARSHIP POSTER TO PUT UP AT YOUR COLLEGE

A4 SIZE

A3 SIZE

US LETTER SIZE

About the Mentors

Martin Zatko

Martin Zatko is of unashamedly mongrel blood, and remains proud to possess no fixed abode. He now views the Far East as some kind of very large and entertaining home, and has been travelling to China, on and off, since 2002 – yet such is the pace of change in the Middle Kingdom that he still finds every visit as exciting as the last. He has also written or contributed to the Rough Guides to Korea, Seoul, Japan, Turkey, Vietnam and Europe.

Kit Gillet

Kit Gillet is a freelance journalist currently based in Beijing.  He has reported from Vietnam, Mongolia, the Philippines and China on a wide range of topics, including the end of nomadic life in Mongolia, the difficult lives of the wives of homosexual men in China, and the renationalisation of Chinese industries. His work appears regularly in the international press, for publications including The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Economist, The Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, Foreign Policy and CNN.

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.


 

Comments

1

Hi, I just want to clarify the eligibility requirements for this contest. To become a travel writer is something I've long been interested in. My usual occupation is copy editor and I have had published stories when I was a contributor but the last one was in 2011. I haven't derived any income from writing since 2009 (my lone article in 2011 was done for a friend). Given all these, am I eligible to join?

  wabbit Feb 12, 2013 5:45 PM

2

Pollution is a SERIOUS concern there! Beware! Just came back from PEK and honestly the risk of breathing there outweighs the benefits. China is great but Beijing is not a place for staying more than one day without feeling sick.

  Lukas Feb 12, 2013 6:18 PM

3

Hello,

This sounds amazing! I have been waiting for this scholarship to open up for what feels like ages! :D Cannot wait to get started on the application but I do have a quick question.
I am really trying to get into the travel writing industry and at the moment I am published online for a travel writing site - 2 articles every month since December. Will this count against me? I'm guessing it is ok as it is nowhere near 25% of my income and the work is not published on paper but I would like to check.
Thanks very much.

  Emma Feb 13, 2013 1:45 PM

4

I'm a graduate student in the US very interested in learning how to travel write, and was wondering: when I was in undergrad, I spent a semester abroad in Beijing, China. Does this disqualify me from entering? I loved Beijing, and would love the opportunity to explore it again from a travel writer's perspective.

  Colleen Feb 13, 2013 4:05 PM

5

Can 'A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective' have occurred in a foreign country?

  Dave @ Travel Transmissions Feb 13, 2013 4:32 PM

6

wabbit - Since you have been a full-time writer in the past, you are not eligible. This is a learning experience for someone trying to get their foot in the door.

Emma - If you derive less than 25% of your income (offline and online) from it, you are eligible.

Colleen - Having been to Beijing before does not disqualify you from entering.

Dave - A "Local Encounter" can be anywhere in the world - in your hometown or abroad. Think of it as an encounter with a local person.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Feb 13, 2013 4:46 PM

7

Hi, I would like to ask if an old write-up, one that has been published (like in a blog), be submitted as entry? Thanks

  MD Feb 13, 2013 5:58 PM

8

Hello! I'm really interested to join. I'm a freelance writer but I'm not a travel writer, that's why I want to learn how to write travel features. Does that disqualify me from joining?

  Nikko Feb 13, 2013 7:08 PM

9

I would like to understand more about these topics:
"Catch a Moment"
"Sharing Stories - A Glimpse into Another's Life"

Will appreciate your quick reply.
Thanks :)

  Passainte Assem Feb 13, 2013 8:35 PM

10

Hello! I'm very interested in participating in the contest, but would like to verify my eligibility. I am the social media director for a travel agency and write their travel blog in addition to other digital marketing responsibilities. The blog is less than 25% of my total responsibilities and I'm not paid per post but this job is my sole income. Therefore, do you consider me eligible? I hope so!

  Kathryn Feb 14, 2013 2:30 AM

11

my name is asmaa from egypt . A very beautiful opportunity
but I have a question: Is this grant free?

  asmaa moustafa Feb 14, 2013 4:44 AM

12

I am a social media manager, with most of my job being answering questions online, and part of it taking and posting pictures and such on facebook. Would I be considered eligible?

  Rachel Feb 14, 2013 9:35 AM

13

Thanks Alicia. Such a shame though because while I have had published stories, I learned from a travel writer during a guest lecture a few years ago that travel writing is a different art in itself and getting one's foot in the door entails some training.

  wabbit Feb 14, 2013 11:09 AM

14

I wrote for a news website in the Philippines back in 2009 for roughly three months. I was full time then, but I have not been getting published recently. Can I still join? Thank you very much!

  Melissa Feb 14, 2013 12:31 PM

15

MD - That's fine as long as it fits the brief.

Nikko - Do you make more than 25% of your income from writing? If you do, you are ineligible.

Passainte - You are free to interpret the topics as you wish, but you can email me any specific questions at alicia@worldnomads.com.

Kathryn - You are eligible.

Asmaa - you can read more in the Conditions of Entry, but yes, this scholarship is fully funded (minus any extraneous personal expenses).

Rachel - You are eligible.

Alicia

  scholarships Feb 14, 2013 1:24 PM

16

I'm really interested in this writing essay, I love adventures, different cultural experiences, traveling. I had participated in an International Youth Exchange Program between Kenya and Canada [CWY-KENVO]
2011-2012 program [Ottawa,Canada-Kimende,Kenya]
I'm from Kenya ,just wanted to ask if I stand a good chance and I willing to commit myself.

  Isaac Wainaina Kamau Feb 14, 2013 5:42 PM

17

Hi, this sounds fantastic, but am uncertain if I qualify. I recently graduated from college in June '12. From September - January I occasionally wrote articles via oDesk for a learning center that needed articles for their ACT/SAT prep students to practice with. These articles were not published; I earned $180 total from this, so it was mostly for peanuts. However, I was not employed at this time (I'm about to start a data entry job) and therefore this was my sole source of income. Do I qualify? Thanks so much for your help.

  Amanda Feb 15, 2013 5:02 AM

18

i would like to know if am qualify as an aspering languagewritter in french and english also as language translator am part of editing religious news..

  RICHARD Feb 15, 2013 7:55 AM

19

Melissa & Richard - Can you email me more details about your past and current work to alicia@worldnomads.com.

Isaac - You should definitely submit an entry!

Amanda - You are eligible to apply.

Alicia

  scholarships Feb 15, 2013 10:55 AM

20

Hi, I've got two questions before I apply - first, does the winner pay for anything (such as travel expenses, staying etc) and second, when will you announce him or her? My passport expires in June and I would have to fly back home and get a new one, as I'm currently studying in another country. Thanks.

  Anca Feb 15, 2013 2:02 PM

21

I had a problem with my entry and want to edit it, sounds like stories are not editable after they have been submitted. Is there a way to overcome this? Should I delete it and rewrite it ?

  Daniel Feb 15, 2013 4:40 PM

22

Hi, what if I maintain a non-profit blog and i used to contribute occasionally to a newspaper (youth section but now, not anymore) and i work as an account executive in a firm? There is some writing involved in my job but it isn't the only thing in the job description.

  Chihiro Feb 15, 2013 4:50 PM

23

Anca - Please read the Conditions of Entry - the list of what is included is outlined in that document. The winner will be announced on May 10th, so they would have to have a valid passport with 6 months on it by that date.

Daniel - Please email me at alicia@worldnomads.com.

Chihiro - As long as writing is less than 25% of your income, you are eligible.

Alicia

  scholarships Feb 18, 2013 10:36 AM

24

Hi.
Do you want me to submit photographs also which support the article?
Or is it only the 2500 word article that will do?
Gaurav

  Gaurav Bhatnagar Feb 19, 2013 7:54 PM

25

This is an amazing oppportunity, and im just wondering, I do not have my Passport yet, But i am applying for it today, would it matter if i dont have it now but will have it by then?

  Danielle Dumais Feb 21, 2013 5:56 AM

26

Gaurev - You are welcome to submit photos in your World Nomads Journal, but only your essay will be judged.

Danielle - That's fine, as long as you have the passport by May 10th when we announce the winner.

Cheers
Alicia

  scholarships Feb 21, 2013 11:21 AM

27

hi, my name is Ebony and i am interested in doing this scholarship, although im not positive what i want to do for the future, i do want to be a writer of some sort. when i heard about this from youtube advertizing i was thinking to myself GOD this is something i want to do.
im from Australia and i want to travel and experience the world, im a passionate writer and love learning about different cultures, foods and places.
for the travel there and home would i have to provide a airoplane ticket myself or would you lot pay it? im on the slightly broke end of the chain so i dont have plentyful of money to throw around. this scholarship sounds really exciting and like an awesome opputunity, i would love to be considered. so i guess my inquiree is about the travel and expences involved.

Ebony - Please read the Conditions of Entry to see what exactly is included in the scholarship, your flight will be covered should you win the scholarship.

Cheers
Alicia

  Ebony Feb 22, 2013 4:01 PM

28

Is there only one winner? it would be nice if there were at least two or three.. More fun... hoping to nail this.

Louis - There will only be one winner.

Cheers
Alicia

  Louis Feb 23, 2013 12:26 AM

29

Hello, do you have to have a blog or website to join? In the application page there's a part where you have to input a url/website.. Thanks in advance..

Jade - You don't have to have a website/blog to enter.

Alicia

  Jade Feb 26, 2013 6:34 PM

30

It's not clear who pays for accommodation, and whether $600 covers meals for 10 days in China.

Uma - All of the winner's accommodation will be covered as part of the scholarship and the stipend is to cover meals that are not part of the Hias Gourmet tours.

Alicia

  Uma Feb 26, 2013 9:03 PM

31

Hello
I am intereted in this scholarship but I have never published any travel writing articles. I have written content for websites, scripts etc and the money I make is less than 25% of my income. I also maintain a book review blog. Could you let me know if I am eligible?

Balkha - As long as you make less than 25% of your total income from your writing activities, you should be eligible.

Alicia

  Balkha Feb 27, 2013 1:14 AM

32

Hi I write a nerdy entertainment and lifestyle blog with a few other writers but it makes no money. Would I be eligible. I am an avid traveller and have spent years keeping travel journals with all my adventures. This is something I would love to get in to.
Thanks

Hi Susie, as long as you are not a professional writer (or haven't been in the past) and are blogging as a hobby, you should be eligible. - Alicia

  Susie Feb 27, 2013 7:36 PM

33

Hi.. i just want to know that since we are going to China, do we really need to know Chinese ? And if i get selected because of my essay, is there any personal interview? If so, is the personal interview online or have to meet the person ?

Nang - You do not need to know Chinese to go on this scholarship. The top three entrants will be contacted for a phone interview prior to final selection.

Alicia

  Nang Aye Aye Htun Feb 28, 2013 3:57 PM

34

with the entry is it possible to enter as a person who works in TV but writes in spare time no published but online for instance?

Kadi - As long as you make less than 25% of your income from writing activities (online or offline), you should be eligible.

Cheers,
Alicia

  Kadi Feb 28, 2013 9:33 PM

35

Hi Alicia -- I have had 4 articles published by an online group, however, I completed these articles on a volunteer basis. I was not paid, hired, or contracted to write the articles. Please tell me I will still be eligible?

Ashley - You are eligible.

Cheers,
Alicia

  Ashley Mar 1, 2013 12:33 PM

36

Hi Alicia,

I'd just like to know my eligibility: I am a recent graduate and currently unemployed. I have had some articles published in newspapers in the past, but wasn't paid for them.

Thanks

Katy - You are eligible.

Cheers,
Alicia

  katy Mar 2, 2013 10:06 PM

37

Thank you so much for creating this opportunity. This is the break I have been praying for. I'm an aspiring writer and travel writing is definitely my passion, but I did not know how to get into the industry since the degree I have is nothing like it. You make such great difference for people who dream to be writers like me. Thanks.

  KyleMarchand Mar 3, 2013 3:51 PM

38

Do we also need to take pictures for articles we will write if we win? I'm not saying I will get the scholarship, but if I do, I dont have a camera...

Candyman - Photos are not required.

Cheers,
Alicia

  candyman Mar 3, 2013 4:34 PM

39

Hi. When I told my friend that I was interested in applying for this scholarship, he told me that I should not waste my time because he was sure worldnomads will not chose a Filipino because China has political issues with our country and would not support your book if you let a Filipino update the guide. How true is this?

Markus - Nationality has no bearing on our choice of the scholarship winner.

Cheers,
Alicia

  Markus Javier Mar 4, 2013 1:22 AM

40

Hello, Just a quick question concerning this amazing contest: are we allowed to include one or more photographs with our entry?

  Catherine Boyle Mar 4, 2013 11:40 PM

41

Hi.

Can I just who will be the judging the entries in this scholarship? I mean what are their backgrounds? Will it be the mentors and some editors of rough guides?

  audreee Mar 5, 2013 2:07 PM

42

Hey there,
I've submitted my essay, and just my luck, I spotted a typo seconds after submitting.
Up above on this page it reads:
"*Note: Once you apply, you may not go back and edit your entry. Please make sure you are completely satisfied with your essay before you submit an application.*"
However, the confirmation email I received after submitting my entry says the following:
"You can come back & edit your entry until the closing date (19th April 2013 at 2pm, Australian Eastern Standard Time)"
Which is correct?
Thanks, C

  C Mar 6, 2013 3:03 AM

43

Hi, this sounds like a great opportunity! Just have 2 questions. Firstly, I work as a Researcher for a legal guide - the bulk of my work involves interviewing and searching articles online, though I do also have to produce copy for the book. None of the copy is 'creative' and it isn't about travel in any way. Under the terms of entry would I still be considered a professional writer? I only receive one pay packet for my work. Secondly, assuming I would be eligible, I just want to clarify - by 2500 characters, do you mean 2500 words, or letters, spaces and punctuation combined? Apologies for the rather long post.

  Ollie Mar 6, 2013 10:13 AM

44

Hi, just wanted to check if I'm eligible - I write a travel blog but make no income from it, and have written some copywriting articles which i have been paíd for. I am currently unemployed as am volunteering in Ecuador - does this mean that my copywriting counts as my sole income? I don't live off the payments from copywriting so I don't view it as more than 25% of my income, but I know it could be seen as a grey area!

Thanks for your help!
Flora

  Flora Mar 7, 2013 4:40 AM

45

Hi, I'm really interested in this great opportunuty but I was wondering if my allergy to gluten,I'm celiac, cuold cause logistic problems in case of win. Thank you.

  sara Mar 7, 2013 5:15 AM

46

Hi,It's me again,the celiac girl..Does the writing you require and I would have to write every day very professional,tecnic or journalistic?

  sara Mar 7, 2013 5:21 AM

47

I fixed the triplicate entry by erasing two of the entries. I hope that is ok and that my application it's still submitted. Cheers.

It's fine.

  xondra Mar 8, 2013 6:53 AM

48

Catherine - See comment #26.

Audreee - A panel of judges from World Nomads and Rough Guides judge the entries.

C & Ollie - Drop me an email at scholarships@worldnomads.com.

Flora - You are eligible to apply.

Sara - Should you win, we could discuss necessary arrangements.

Xondra - I can see see your entry.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Mar 8, 2013 2:05 PM

49

Hi, I am just curious that how many people will win this scholarship or it is just for only one person? How many people were selected and what isi the total number apply for this in 2012?
Sincerely,
Steven.

  Steven Mar 8, 2013 5:38 PM

50

What a fantastic opportunity! Working on the application as we speak ;)

  Keith Ruffles Mar 10, 2013 5:20 AM

51

Steven - See comment #28.

  scholarships Mar 11, 2013 8:47 AM

52

Hi,

Quick question. I used to be a news reporter but I did not engage in travel writing until recently for my blog. Will I still be eligible to join this contest? Thanks much!

Angie - Can you email me more details at scholarships@worldnomads.com?

  Angie Mar 12, 2013 5:18 PM

53

The character limit of 2500 characters or less for the travel focused essay is binding? I think it is difficult to do justice to all judging parameters of :
- great descriptive ability
- strong eye for detail
- ability to uncover and tell a compelling story
- excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés

within that limited space.

Please let me know.

Aakash - Yes, 2500 characters is the maximum.

  Aakash Mar 13, 2013 6:08 PM

54

I really wish this was open to those under 18. I'm only 14 but I'm a great writer and I would love this.

  Allison Mar 15, 2013 4:23 PM

55

hello, i just started as a freelancer in a local newspaper.. just a week into the job..can i apply?

If you're earning more than 25% of your income at your new job, then you are not eligible to apply.

  shana Mar 15, 2013 10:14 PM

56

How can we certify that we are highly-skilled in English writing? An FCE is enough?

You don't need to provide any certificates or similar. Each applicants entry should provide sufficient proof of their written English skills.

  Daniella Mar 17, 2013 5:46 AM

57

Hello,
I'd like to know if the number of views or likes one's entry gets is a criteria for winning. Do let me know.

Thank you. :)

Number of views/likes has no bearing

  Disha Mar 18, 2013 2:54 AM

58

Any age limit? I am 60.
jane

There is no maximum age limit.

  janey Mar 19, 2013 3:21 AM

59

Hi, I started writing a few travel articles for a couple of German magazines last year (Jan.2012) as a freelancer and have published 6 of them in total so far. I'm nowhere near gaining 25% of my income by writing, though, so am I still eligible to apply for this year's scholarship? Thanks for clearing this up

If you are not earning more than 25% of your income freelancing then you are eligible to apply.

  korea Mar 20, 2013 9:49 AM

60

Hi, what if I just started my first job which will happen to be more than 25% of my total income but won't even receive a paycheck till another two weeks?

Am I still legible?

If your new job is in the writing industry as a professional writer then you are not eligible to apply.

  John Q Mar 21, 2013 6:16 PM

61

Hello,
What kind of writing do you want for the journals? Are they to be written as strictly professional or written more as a journal? Also, is it frowned upon if the applicant has no published works?
Thank you!

You are free to interpret the topics and style of writing as you wish, and as the scholarship is to mentor new writers, don't worry that you don't have any previously published works.

  Madeline L Mar 22, 2013 10:31 AM

62

Hi. Can I use part of an article that is going to be published, if I re-work it? I have never before been published before, nor I have I ever been a full time writer.

Yes, that's fine. As long as no more than 25% of your total income comes from writing then you're OK to apply with your piece.

  B Mar 22, 2013 2:15 PM

63

Hello :) I'm currently the Editor-in-Chief in our school publication but I'm not earning money for that, am I eligible to join?

If yes, is there a downloadable application form?

Thanks

You are eligible, please apply using the online form above.

  Jerald Mar 23, 2013 1:44 PM

64

Hi, what Engligh should we write in? American or British English?

It's up to you, although some of our Australian judges may turn your z's into s's ;)

  izzy Mar 24, 2013 1:01 AM

65

Hi, I just want to know if I am still eligible to join. I have been translating cartoons from English into Filipino for the past two years but I never had a published work under my name. I wrote a couple of stories for the school newspaper but all of my articles were used by my sister, so my works weren't published under my name. Right now, I do work as a freelance English to Filipino translator. Am I still eligible to join as this opportunity only comes once in a lifetime. Thank you and have a great day ahead.

You are eligible to apply.

  Mycah Mar 24, 2013 9:59 PM

66

Dear, committe. Actually writing is my passion. I have won several writing competition both national and international since i was in the senior high school. My writings have been published in two books and my present assignment is an editor in chief of a digital magazine in non-profit Islamic youth organization in Jakarta. Now, i am on the 4th semester of bachelor degree. Am i eligible to apply this scholarship ?

Cheers :)

Naeli - Indonesia

You are eligible to apply.

  Naeli Fitria Mar 25, 2013 3:18 AM

67

Hi,

I just submitted my entry. However, it led me to a page that says "404 Error." How will I know if I was able to successfully submit it?

Thank you,
Michelle

It is visible now

  jonggailim Mar 25, 2013 3:47 AM

68

hello, i am a college student and my passion is writing. i write occasionally in our college magazine. that's all the qualification i posses. i don't earn money from writing but i hope someday i will. am i eligible?

You are eligible to apply.

  ifnanya Mar 25, 2013 8:02 PM

69

Thank you so much for the quick response. I noticed though the change in the formatting of my story. Spacing has been changed. It has clumped into one paragraph. May I still change that? Thank you again.

  jonggailim Mar 26, 2013 4:58 PM

70

Hi I was just wondering if the 2500 character count was with or without spaces?

The limit is 2500 characters, as measured by the counter on the application form, which includes spaces.

  Jennifer R Mar 28, 2013 12:38 AM

71

Hi, I applied the scholarship. But I don't know whether my story has been submitted or not. I got error when i clicked the button. I want to ask if I have submitted it correctly?

Thank you
Maria Bina R.

it's fine

  mariabina07 Mar 30, 2013 3:52 AM

72

I've had a travelogue book published, as well as have written freelance for some magazines. Unfortunately I am not a full time writer and work as a house painter to pay most my bills. My writing income is less than 25% of my time and money. Am I eligible to apply for this contest?

If you earn less than 25% of your income through writing, you are eligible to apply.

  Aaron Apr 1, 2013 12:46 PM

73

Would being vegetarian pose a problem?

No.

  dreamer Apr 1, 2013 5:01 PM

74

Hi, I just wondered if your country of residence is deemed to be where you normally live, or where you're living now? In theory I live in England, but am currently living in Ecuador and will be in various countries in South America for the foreseeable future. Thanks for your help!

It's what your passport says

  Flora Apr 3, 2013 6:47 AM

75

I am a copywriter with a WPP agency in India. Am I eligible to apply for this scholarship?

Unfortunately if you make more than 25% of your income from copywriting you are not eligible to apply.

  Nishant Shah Apr 3, 2013 11:02 PM

76

In your application form, you are asking for the applicant's URL for his blogs, I don't have a blog site though. Am I still eligible to join?

Yes you are still eligible to apply. Good luck!

  Jerald Apr 4, 2013 2:10 PM

77

Good day!

What if a person wants to change his scholarship entry, is it still possible?

  Michelle Apr 4, 2013 5:02 PM

78

Hello, I was wondering what is implied by the word 'essay'? I read some entries from last year (assuming their themes were different) and from what I gathered they were short, creative stories. Are we free to interpret the themes and write in any form or is it more of a strict 'university' type of essay?
Thanks :)

You are free to interpret the themes and essay form as you like.

  Allie Apr 5, 2013 2:04 AM

79

Dear admin,

I wanna ask about the ticketing, in website said "We'll fly you to Beijing from your country of residence". How about the ticket for return to my country?

Thanks

Your return flight will be paid for.

  putu Apr 5, 2013 11:53 PM

80

Hi there,

I've just tried to submit my entry and for some reason it's saying that the piece is too long - however the main story (with spaces) is 2483 and the essay on why I want to win is 1,195, spaces included.

Do you know if there are any problems with submitting entries that are close to the character limits?

Best wishes,

Keith

The limit is 2500 characters, as measured by the counter on the application form.

  keith_ruffles Apr 8, 2013 7:18 AM

81

While travelling how the winner will provide the daily lines, does he/she have to bring a PC?

You can write daily however you feel most comfortable and publish at the completion of the assignment if you don't use a laptop on the road.

  sara Apr 8, 2013 10:14 PM

82

In the entry form and the other text do I have to openly put my name?Will it be a problem for the examination?I have doubts because you say I also have to write below address and contact details....and I don't want to make a mistake.

Not sure what you mean Sara, please email me - kate@worldnomads.com

  sara Apr 8, 2013 10:27 PM

83

-- NOTE TO ALL --

Only submit your entry when you are happy with it in its final stage.You can not go back in and edit / change the text.

- World Nomads.

  Kate Hoffman Apr 10, 2013 9:38 AM

84

hi! I'm just wondering if the location will be changed in unforeseen circumstances, for example if the H7N9 situation in china gets worse?

  zj Apr 12, 2013 6:17 PM

85

I have just uploaded my entry into this scholarship. Can I upload it into my blog as well?

It's automatically part of your blog

  gauravbhan Apr 14, 2013 2:01 AM

86

Hi! This is such an exciting opportunity but I just wanted to check, can an advertising copywriter apply? I've randomly written brochures and ad slogans/radio scripts, but other than the odd blog article, don't have anything published. I don't think it comes near 25% of my income anyway, but just wanted to check if I would still be eligible.
Thanks for the opportunity!

  Dana Apr 14, 2013 4:54 AM

87

Hi I am a full time journalist/editor in an online news website in Egypt. I make less than 25% of my income from writing, most of the time I do editorial judgment related jobs, like decide on where should a story go and when, what should we tackle today and how, I also do on the job training for younger younger journalists. I have always had a passion for travel writing, but never actually written any travel stories and I am considering the shift and feel like this is the right opportunity. Can I apply?

  Lina Apr 14, 2013 5:50 PM

88

can we use contractions in our essays (can't instead of cannot)?

yes

  izzy Apr 15, 2013 5:48 AM

89

Hy I am Ina. I like writing and like travelling. I really hope this opportunity will appear to me although, I am not a profesional writer but so far I have tried to write some essays in my campus to improve my ability in writing. I DO WANT TO GO TO CHINA THIS JULY. :)

  Rostina Apr 15, 2013 4:33 PM

90

I'm really interested in other Chinese cultures. It will be great opportunity to know the culture. I hope I can go there this June. It coincides with my birthday :)

  Ratu Yunita Sekar Apr 15, 2013 4:47 PM

91

I am a copywriter in advertising. So that makes me ineligible, is it? I don't write articles or blogs as part of my job - more like headlines for ads, more ideating than writing. I have a feeling I won't be allowed to apply :( sigh!

  Saniaa Apr 15, 2013 8:51 PM

92

Love a scholarship to china

  Michael girgis Apr 18, 2013 2:54 PM

93

Hi, I had some trouble yesterday putting in my application. I think it was because my Internet connection was not working properly. Finally I got a screen saying that I had already applied and was no to apply twice. When I checked my journaling page that had been created, the essay I was trying to upload was not there. I later added the essay to my journal but I am concerned that my personal statement was not received and due to complications with the application process the essay may also not be seen as an entry for the scholarship. My journal page is "Moresby's Movements" (User name: moresbb). Some advice on whether the application has been received correctly would be much appreciated.

  Moresby Brett Apr 19, 2013 12:34 AM

94

Hi, I have already applied for this scholarship, but I have a question about my contact number. I am in the United Sates now, but I will be back to China to start my summer vacation soon. I just wrote the number I have in China as my contact number. Is that OK?

  zzhiming Apr 19, 2013 9:18 AM

95

Saniaa - Sorry, but it sounds like you are a professional writer.

Brett - Email me at alicia@worldnomads.com.

zzhiming - That's fine.

  scholarships Apr 19, 2013 9:43 AM

96

Did anyone actually read past comments or questions? If they had, did they notice their question was already asked a zillion times? Also, if people comment how much they really, really want to go, do they believe it will actually increase their chances? Just curious if I'm still eligible for being cheeky ;)

  rubytuesday Apr 19, 2013 10:48 AM

97

I'm not ganna make it. When will be the next one? :(

  followthatcar! Apr 19, 2013 2:41 PM

98

Could I ask how many candidates would be chosen?
Thanks in advanced.

minhuyennguyen - Only 1 winner will be chosen. - Alicia

  minhhuyennguyen Apr 20, 2013 3:47 PM

99

I read above about the passport need to be available by 10th May. What if the passport isn't ready yet by 10th May? Like it will be delayed one or two weeks? Because, sometimes in my country (not gonna say where to protect my country name) the passport making process can be delayed from the said date, the officers taking money fees from us the applicants..

  GG Apr 27, 2013 3:34 PM

100

Hi Everyone,

We know you have all been waiting patiently for our announcement of the winner today. However, we are still in final stages of judging and will announce the winner early next week. You have made our job even harder this year with the high caliber of entries! Again, sorry for this delay and check in again on Monday.

Best of luck!
Alicia

  scholarships May 10, 2013 11:32 AM

101

Is it possible to have a calendar of the next scolarships?

  Nelsy Rodriguez May 10, 2013 12:37 PM

102

Hey Alicia,

Will you guys also post a shortlist of some of the best work before announcing the winner or just the top three? Cause it would be good to have a read on some of the best work here. Thanks.

  Billy Boxwell May 10, 2013 12:51 PM

103

Nelsy, currently we don't publish a list of scholarships.

Billy, a shortlist of top stories will be published along with the winner.

Cheers
Alicia

  Alicia May 10, 2013 12:55 PM

104

Gosh! This will be the longest weekend of my life!!!

  Luis Velasco May 10, 2013 3:15 PM

105

I agree with Luis. I can't wait either ^_^

  Makiko S May 11, 2013 1:49 AM

106

who is the winner?

  tsabit May 11, 2013 2:26 PM

107

Can't find the winner anywhere. The date for announcement was 10 May. It is already past that.

  Gaurav Bhatnagar May 11, 2013 3:23 PM

108

Read comment 100

  Marcus May 11, 2013 4:24 PM

109

I can't wait anymore!! Fingers crossed!!

  violavaloriani May 12, 2013 1:25 AM

110

What time will the winner be announced?

  Billy May 13, 2013 12:45 AM

111

Checking and rechecking.....I'm still hoping that it's gonna be me.

  Mary Rosalie May 13, 2013 6:29 PM

112

I read this one http://journals.worldnomads.com/clintontedja
really really good, what a story teller!
Such great entries this year, good luck to everyone!

  Summer Zhu May 13, 2013 8:27 PM

113

Reading the other entries, they are all good. Somehow i have no confidence to be the one winning the scholarship instead of them.. but i'm still wishing anyway..and keep optimistic because i did my best, and i am still learning..
Winning the scholarship or not will not stop me from writing :)
and maybe someday i could get my own way to go to Beijing and see the wonderful gift from Heaven..

  MGGINNY May 13, 2013 9:06 PM

114

There are loads of great entries and a lot of different styles. The judges have their work cut out for them. But still... waiting for the announcement is nerve-racking!

Good luck to all! :)

  eats_out_there May 13, 2013 9:22 PM

115

what is happening? seriously??

  caz May 14, 2013 4:25 AM

116

I'm still waiting :(

  Zainab May 14, 2013 5:04 AM

117

Hi Alice,

Any chance we could have some more information on exactly when the results will be out? As you can imagine, it's pretty tense out here :)

Best,

M.

  Melissa May 14, 2013 8:45 AM

118

She has previously said (see comment #33) that the 3 finalists will be contacted for a telephone interview, I guess it is safe to say, if we haven't been contacted, we didn't make it. Better luck next year fellow writers.

  jacsjournal May 14, 2013 9:18 AM

119

this really is Scholarship squeaky bum time...

  andeh May 14, 2013 9:31 AM

120

In response to comment #118 I like to think that if the 3 finalist had already been contacted, that the winner would have already been announced closer to the original date. I'm optimistically believing they are still stifling through the entries and we all still have a chance. Good luck to every one who entered and try to stay calm! :)

  Allie May 14, 2013 10:42 AM

121

The suspense is killing me!

  Lucy S May 14, 2013 11:11 AM

122

the suspence might just kill me before we all find out lol can't wait to find out :D

  cate_racher May 14, 2013 1:26 PM

123

Waiting is simplest activity for me. So, I keep waiting. I have a sense that I will be the one who will fly to China.... (It's only nightmare for me is I have to pay for trip)

one more... i like this number 123

  marwanee May 14, 2013 2:28 PM

124

Thank you all for being so patient, we will be announcing the the next couple of hours! - Alicia

  scholarships May 14, 2013 2:35 PM

125

Tired of playing the waiting game?

Feel free to check out my story and share your thoughts.

Thanks!

  emmyb May 14, 2013 2:36 PM

126

Finally....we have a winner!

http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/100965/China/Travel-Writing-Scholarship-2013-The-Winner

Congratulations to our winner and shortlisted entrants!

Alicia

  scholarships May 14, 2013 3:11 PM

127

Shoulda known I wasn't good enough to win... why do I bother to do anything

  Nick May 14, 2013 4:20 PM

128

Hi Everyone,

Phil Sylvester is our Head of Content, here at World Nomads. He's been a journalist in print and broadcast for around 30 years, so he knows his way around a sentence construction site.

Phil is also one of our judges in the annual Travel Writing Scholarship, and penned this piece on being a better writer: http://bit.ly/18xEFRZ

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships May 29, 2013 11:23 AM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.